Skip navigation

Starting issues

Back to the top

Starting issues

I've a strange one for you.

Every now and again my car plays dead.

I turn the ignition key and absolutely nothing happens at all, no warning lights nothing.

After a few tries it always springs to life. This has only happened a few times and I initially thought the key was at fault being a newly cat item. Thing is I've tried the old one now and that's just developed the same symptom.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Tian

Back to the top
Faulty ignition switch.

Back to the top
^ or immobiliser/alarm, probably the ignition switch though

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Just got back from house hunting (the things I do to go to football next weekend :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: ). Stopped outside a house we just went to look at the outside of, (the family call in mummy inspecting the bricks to see if she likes the colour), and the car refused to start.

The threat of a call out from the AA got it going though but only after 10 minutes of trying.

Anyway, home now in the garage and I've liberally sprayed electrical contact cleaner on and in the barrel.

Oh and yes, I tested it repeatedly once home and it started every time!

Tian :roll:  :lol:

Back to the top
thats typical though!!! get it looked at though, a new ignition module is not that expensive, and its easy to do just un plug and plug in

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
I'm sure its possible to swap the barrel, or its internals, so you can keep the same key too.

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

thats typical though!!! get it looked at though, a new ignition module is not that expensive, and its easy to do just un plug and plug in

It will be my mission for the week if it's a simple job.

Strange thing is though, my other half was so calm, she just sat there fecking with the SatNav, strange 8O

Thanks for the advice, at least it's a relatively easy fix.

Tian :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.