Skip navigation

Headlight loom

Back to the top

Headlight loom

I know people are often complaining about the poor lighting provided by their headlights and was wondering if an upgrade to the loom was appropriate to a 1991 Cabby.

I'm not sure if VW changed the wiring to the Mk2 wiring which I assume is better.

Ultimately can someone tell me if the loom in my car is better than earlier Mk1 Golfs? I remember a user on here upgraded their bulbs for higher wattage ones which were still legal and want to know if my car could cope with the extra power or if the wires would melt with the additional heat created?

Tian  :|

Back to the top
Well almost all mk2 owners complain about poor lighting too so even if yours does have a mk2 style wiring loom chances are it still isnt anywhere near 100%

I bet you will see a marked improvement if you fit a relay and loom  :D

Back to the top
Most Golfs from Jan 89 had Dim / Dip headlamps which make dipped lights absolute rubbish as they only got about 9 volts to the bulbs. I disconnected it all on my clipper and fitted a relay to run dipped lamps straight from the battery via a fuse. Result - literally brilliant lights wih standard bulbs. If you have it, the resistor is mounted passenger side of engine bay, right back near the bulkhead. It has yellow and yel/blue wires.
Check it out. Keep smiling J.

Beetle restoration. Cabrio GTi (black and shiny). Golf driver.
16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.

Back to the top
Whatever you find, it's well worth fitting a loom and uprated bulbs - H4 units are poor compared to modern headlights - can't believe how bright those HID units are on new cars and yet still legal!!!
You can either buy a new loom and relays (from crazyquiff?) or make it up from heavy wire and connectors - only takes a couple of hours to do the whole job. I've got 80/100w bulbs in and the difference is tremendous…very tempting to go for even higher bulbs, but have resisted so far. Wouldn't risk using them without heavier loom and relays though!

Back to the top
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Read, its the only way to upgrade your lights

See The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

There are too many online users to list.