Skip navigation

heating help a eskimo

Back to the top

heating help a eskimo

hi peeps, my cars heating is only blowing cold are and in a cabby in this cold its bloody freezin.. any ideas

Back to the top
Which vents is it blowing cold air out of?

Back to the top
both small and large no heat at all even on long drives

Back to the top
The Mk1 Golf isn't designed to give hot air out of the main (movable) vent, so you'll always get cold out of it. The dash vents and the 2x little side ones should give hot air out, if the heater control is on hot. Its a fairly simple cable mechanism which controls a valve in the engine bay from the lever. Its possible that the cable has become loose behind the vent; or that the valve isn't working properly. Another issue is a blocked heater matrix.

Back to the top
will this be easy to look at or majour work

Back to the top
To check it over, is fairly easy. The valve thing is to the left of and slightly behind the engine, you'll see the 2x water pipes which go into the interior of the car nearby.

Personally I've never changed a heater matrix, I think its around 3 spanners out of 5, if you needed to rate the job.

Back to the top
cheers mate

Back to the top
I had the heater matrix supplied and fitted for 120 squid, this was done on my mk2 which i believe is the same set up but the dash is a lot easier to take apart on a mk1.

Back to the top
does the heater slide move very easy and not reach all the way to one side if so its the cable and it's most likely slipped from the valve end.

Back to the top
it seems to move across ok ill look valve end is it easy to get too

Back to the top
very easy.

stand infront of car with bonnet open.
follow the lower pipe from the expansion tank till it meets a metal pipe.
follow the metal pipe back towards the bulk head.
where it ends you'll find the valve.

Back to the top
heater matrix is easy!
no need to remove dash, wack passanger seat all the way back, remove the lower under trey on pass side, drain all water from the system and u shud see the matrix and the two pipes going in, a lil bit fiddly to get the pipes on and off but not a big job.
make sure u renew the clips with new jubilee clips on the matri side.

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
..add to above post, very carefully remove the small plastic end cover, it should be on 4 plastic tags, this needs to refitted once the new matrix has been fitted to stop the air blowing out of the sides of the matrix.

Back to the top
thanks dudes well its deff not the valve

Back to the top
Just to add.. I changed my matrix on Tuesday, very simple I'm going to be writing out a guide with pics tonight so I'll give you the link once it's up :)

Back to the top
brill dude thankyou :wink:

Back to the top
Here you go allen..

Hope it's not too late! http://www.koolersvw.co.uk/guides/matrix.pdf

Let me know if you have any problems or questions

Back to the top
brill mate thank you
There are too many online users to list.