Skip navigation

HELP! Does anyone know what this is?

Back to the top

HELP! Does anyone know what this is?

Recently had a wire burn out and fill my car with smoke, i found that the light switch was now stuck fast in the 1st position (side lights), on further investigation i traced the damaged wire back to the fuse box and then out through the bulkhead into the engine bay. the wires to the both headlights are fine and then i found this (see picture)

Dont know what it is but looking at it is the culprit for damaging the light switch

Anyone know what it is?

Also i looked at the circuit diagram and all the wires were accounted for the yellow/white wire that burnt out wasn't shown, any ideas? Does this need to be reconnected? If not it would save me the hastle of putting in a new wire.

Back to the top
Pics not working chap

Back to the top
Pic fixed. That looks like the resistor for the dim-dip function. What year is your car, that will be the giveaway if its fitted or not?

Back to the top
The car is a golf driver 1983 converted to a 1800gti, i didn't convert the car but looking at the fuse box it is a late version fitted to the mk2, spade fuses instead of bullet type.

Back to the top
Hmm strange - requirement for dim-dip came in 1987. Do your headlamps do this?

Back to the top
Looks like one of those fuses (?) thats used on the heater blower motor - but it wouldn't be there!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The headlamps are aftermarket but i dont have dip-dim, i've ordered a replacement switch from a member on the forum so i'll try it and see if my lights function ok.

I'm not electrically minded so not sure if doing this would be a problem, any suggestions?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.