Skip navigation

Erratic speedo and loud noise

Back to the top

Erratic speedo and loud noise

Hi there,
after a bit of advise. My mk1, 1991, gti cab makes this loud noise and the speedo goes nuts when (norm in the morning - cold?) I go over 60 - 70. The speedo then jumps between 90 - 110 and the noise is loud and constent. Then as slow the noise gradually fades and when i get to 20- the noise stops and the speedo returns to normal. Anyone any ideas? - speedo drive? - if so is this a 'big' job.
Has anyone else experienced this? Cheers

Back to the top
Could be the speedo cable is a bit loose.

Reach up behind the instruments, you might need to unscrew the trays to get to it. I am afraid I can't remember how easy it is to reach on the newer dashes, It's so simple on the early ones.

The speedo cable screws in behind clocks in the same place as the centre of the speedo dial.

It's a normal screw fitting.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Hi there, thats ace - cheers for that. But could the cable really be the cause for the loud noise, and it is loud!!

Thanks again

Back to the top
Mine has done this in the past. Always seemed to be in the cold weather too. I looked inside the speedo trying to find a fault, as I thought there must have been some gears to speed it up that much. It's a straight drive to the speedo head from the cable and I was having problems with the speedo cable falling out of the back alot at the time so I can only assume that tallpete is right. It's not happened this year and the cable hasn't fallen off either.

Back to the top
Brother had a 1300 MK11 Golf that did exactly the same in freezing weather. Went away when warmed up a bit.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
There are too many online users to list.