Skip navigation

simple speaker help needed !

Back to the top

simple speaker help needed !

i have no speakers in my car and  have purchased a head unit 45W x4 (18 RMS x4)

i have looked at some front speakers advertised at120 W (40 RMS) will i require a amp ?

does that  mean 40 RMS each speaker or 20 RMS x2 ?

would be greatful if someone can help on this issue as i have no idea with these things - been told underpowering speakers can blow them

Back to the top
You won't blow the speaker if its underpowered. You'd have to check on the speaker specifications, but 40W RMS sounds too much for a 6x4" speaker to me - could be though if its good quality. I'd only recommend using an amp if you're adding more speakers, ie 6 speaker or greater system, use the 4 outlets from the head unit first. Adding an amp is a bit of a hassle in a Golf, unless you don't mind losing underseat space (ie no rear seat passengers?) or boot space; or you are happy enough to build a box or enclosure for it somewhere, eg at the side in the boot.

In fact, the Mk1 Golf doesn't really lend itself very well to a high power stereo - its awkward to fit in decent sized speakers in sensible locations.

Back to the top
cool, but is it ok  that these front speakers 40 RMS runing a head unit of 18 RMS x4 ?

when a a pair of front spekers are advertised as 40 RMS  does that mean 20 RMS each ?

cheers

Back to the top

ara2007 said

cool, but is it ok  that these front speakers 40 RMS runing a head unit of 18 RMS x4 ?

when a a pair of front spekers are advertised as 40 RMS  does that mean 20 RMS each ?

cheers

I don't know - you'd have to look at the technical spec supplied with the speaker. What make & model of speaker is it????

Back to the top
ive found out the spec its is 40 watt RMS 120 watt max each speaker.

Back to the top

speakers

i was always told the amp should have at least half the power rating of the speakers,, ie. amp 20 watts... speakers 40 watts

Back to the top
If they are not high end speakers I would take the RMS rating with a pinch of salt!

The makers tend to think of a number as if it looks big and powerful then you will buy them!!

My advise would be to visit your local car stereo place and get some advice on suitable speakers for the car and what other gear you need.

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com

Back to the top
under powering a speaker wont blow it, just wont sound as good, they sound good enough for the job just to run off the h/u

rob

www.keets-customs.co.uk

Back to the top
i have a blupunkt hamburg 57  45x4 ( 18rms x4)  

the volume control goes from 1-67

to hear anything at a decent level of sound i have to put the volume up to 50-60

surely this isnt normal ?

i  thought ti might be the speakers but i tireid another set..same thing ..need to put the volume up to 50-60

1-40  on the motorway u wil hardly hear anything

* only front speakers are wired up ..wiring for the back speakers are in the unit but im sure they are not connected to anythign

* fader - all to the front - if i put it in the middle ( front and back) all crackling, intefrerence)

* only 2 wires in the power pluug at the back on the headunit - one wire the 'electrician' put from the fusebox to the power to the headunit

HWTA COULD BE THE PROBLEM ??

Back to the top
you have a short in the speaker system. check the rear wires arn't touching each other.

Back to the top
i got a pair of siccors - il deal with them at lunch time ( snap them off from the connector near the unit

i put the fader all to the front though - so  no energy shud be goign to the back wires to cause a short ?

would that solve the volume issue ?

Back to the top
most head units still drive something to the rear even on fade especially with electronic fade which normal just turns the volume down the chosen speakers. i think blupunkt units are 8 ohm impedence check if your speakers are 16ohm as they may be offering to much resistants.

Back to the top
sounds like the wires could be on the wrong way round the impedance is another cause normall faualt is incorrect wiring though

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top
only way to wire a speaker the wrong way round is if the other speaker is the otherway round. but agree it may be this. do your speakers have a resistor to prevent shorting. in which case it may be the wrong way round.

Back to the top
i did chop the back speaker wires off - has got rid of the crackling and interference.

But the volume issue is still there

i will check the resistence of the head unit and speakers. i got JBL GTO's wired up the wiring on the speakers + - etc i have swopped them around etc makes no difference

besides that i have tried another set of pioneer speakers that are only 10 rms etc - same problem so im guessing its not the speakers or its resistance values - il check the Ohms n see

:)
There are too many online users to list.