Skip navigation

Radiator Fan problem

Back to the top

Radiator Fan problem

Driving from Cheshire to Oxford today in my 1983 mk1 gti the temperature warning light went red about 40 miles from home. Luckily i was near to my gf's work so i pulled up and switched the engine off. I checked my coolant which was bubbling away so i put what i had left in, i think it was nearly full but can't be sure as it was getting dark. My oil level was good. However, just before driving off i noticed the fan wasn't working when i restarted the car.

I drove about 10 more miles down the road doing no more than 50 miles an hour. My lights were also really dim, then the dreaded temp warning sensor came back on and the indicator went really high, so i pulled over again. This time i checked the coolant level and it was non-existant. I had purged and replenished it less than 500 miles ago.

Now this is what i'm thinking, but in no ways am i an expert so please, i'm looking for your advice. I know some cars charge the battery from the fan belt hence my dimming head lights. But when i inspected them they were filthy, so it could've just been that. However, in the Haynes manual there's no indication of a fan belt, just a fan motor. So is it linked with an obvious fan belt that Haynes just forget to mention, because i'm pretty sure this would be a common maintenance problem on all sorts of cars.

Anyway Mk1 Golf Owners. I would be very appreciative if you could help me diagnose this problem asap. The Girlfriend is giving me the evils and blaspheming about my 'stupid' car. DAMN HER TO HELL!

May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

Back to the top
sounds like it could be your fan belt it travels round alternator water pump and cranck pulley,
check for coolant loss when you refill to make sure your loosing any.

did your battery light not come on. and does it aluminate when you switch the ignition on.

rob

www.keets-customs.co.uk

Back to the top
Hi, Your car does not have a "Fan belt" as such. The belt drives the Alternator and the water pump only. The engine cooling is by an electric fan pulling air through the radiator. As the last post says, make sure your ignition light is coming on when you turn the key on but goes out when the engine starts, this will tell you that the alterator is charging the battery.

As to the overheating there are two issues, it sounds like your electric fan is not running. It should be when the engine is hot even with the ignition off. It normally cuts in when the temp gauge is just over half way on the scale. Check the fuse, it also has a switch but I am not sure where it is fitted on your engine.

The other issue is the engine thermostat, it is unlikely to be jammed shut but if the top of the radiator is hot it is most likely OK. I think I would put my money on the electric fan.

Keep smiling. J

Beetle restoration. Cabrio GTi (black and shiny). Golf driver.
16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.

Back to the top
Travelling at 50 at this time of year doesn't need the fan running to keep cool. In my experience the fan only ever kicks in mid summer in standing traffic or when doing a 17 point turn in a car park.

If its boiling up at 50 you have another problem in addition to the fan not working;

Is it losing water? You had some in the car with you? 'Fan' belt slack and not running water pump? rad clogged up? impeller lose on water pump?, expansion cap duff? head gasket gone? running hyper lean?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Ok. I've been out and taken a look at her this morning. The belt which runs round the altinator and pump is fine. I've taken a look at the fuse, and although i don't have a multi-metre it look in one piece. I know the pump is working because there's return fluid being pumped into the expansion tank. I'm gonna go for the thermostat, and give the radiator a good drain whilst i'm at it.

Thanks for the advice.

Boomshanka

May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
There are too many online users to list.