Skip navigation

fitting vdo guages

Back to the top

fitting vdo guages

i have read loads of threads on this subject but do not seem any nearer. someone help please! got a set of audi guages oil pressure /oil temp/ volts.  where abouts exactly does the pressure sender and temp sender for oil go? in the oil filter housing? i have a 1.8 16v engine in my car.

thanks

Back to the top
when I fitted mine I used vdo dipstick sender for oil temp, you can also get senders that replace the sump plug. For pressure I used a dual sender screwed into the side of the block, it had the correct sender one side for the oil light/buzzer circuit and a 0 to 5 bar on the other side for the gauge. I have seen some folk put the dual sender on the filter housing as well, I guess that you just need to make sure the pressure on the none gauge side matches your original sender

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Have you got new senders? Or the ones off the audi?

If you have the ones off the audi then the sender for pressure replaces the black sender you have in your oil filter housing (the outermost one) and the white one moves to the second hole - (nearest the block) this way you have room to screw down the cylindrical type sender in the outermost hole.

Your temperature sender then goes in the back of the head to the passenger side - if you have a working mfa then you will need to have a little t-peice made up with an m10x1 thread to screw in the head at this location with 2 m10x1 threaded holes to accept your guage sender from the audi and your mfa sender for the instrument panel read out. you can't run both off the audi sensor as it not calibrated correctly.

as far as i know this is correct as i have recently searched posts to find this out.

if you need to buy a new temp sender contact vw or audi and ask for the blue tipped audi sender ranging from 0-180degrees.

Back to the top
thanks for that.
carbs4ever i have 3 holes in oil filter/oil cooler housing. 1 is blanked off . my sensor nearest the block now is brown. the front one is white. i presume the brown one will be the same as the black one you said. is the brown or black one for the oil pressure warning buzzer? what is the white sensor for? so i just take out my brown one put the white one in its place? where the white one was replace with new twin pole sensor? the sensor for the oil temp is the one nearest the passenger side on the back of the block? with a brown wire? do you know which sensor controls the red oil light on dash? i have ordered new audi sensors from my local vw garage.
sorry for long post but there is so many jobs i need to get sorted in my head ready for rebuild!

thanks

Back to the top
The pressure sender you will screw in the filter housing should have two screw top connectors on it - one of these feeds the guage and is marked G the other is the sensor which makes your red oil light go out when your car has just started it is marked WK

The white sender operates the buzzer if your oil pressure drops too low above certain revs - 2.5k or something like that.

i haven't mine wired up yet… so this isn't proven on my own engine - but it is from information gathered on this forum and clubgti.co.uk/forum

Back to the top

fittting vdo guages

thanks again carbs4ever.
thats cleared everything up. just need to wait for sensors to arrive and respray to be finished and then i can get them fit.

thanks again
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.