Skip navigation

Horn and Reverse lights on!

Back to the top

Horn and Reverse lights on!

1. When I connect my Horn up it constantly stays on I've traced the wires back to the fuse board and they seem ok not corroded or anything TOld it may be an earth but where as I've checked the wire and it look ok any sugestions what the problem could be?

2  Also my reverse lights stay on all the time when i put bulbs in are the horn and reverse lights on the same circuit as it's really puzzling me?

Thanks
Gary

1983 GTI-Black

MY very first one AND LOVING IT!!!!!

Back to the top
Horn may be contacts in steering wheel being one all the time or the wires shorting to the steering column. The horn is live all the time without needing the ign on and is earthed at the wheel so if the wire is touching the steering col or bodywork somewhere it will sound. It also uses a relay so that may on stuck on?

Most Mk1 owners have probs with the horn not working!

Rev lights may be switch at gearbox, pull the wires off the switch and see if the lights go out. Its a pretty simple circuit. Power-switch-lights-earth.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Hiya!

My horn started to act up the same a while back. I beeped as I went round a bend, then again when I went round another one and then it stayed on constantly after I turned left!  8O

I had to drive the last half mile to work like it (much to the amusement of the kids I work with!) and someone disconnected the horn for me.

Hubby took the steering wheel off to discover that a piece had sheered of the brass contact ring at the back of the wheel and jammed between the two contact rings making a permanent connection. A replacement steering wheel saved the day!!

Back to the top
This is a very common problem and is almost normal once the steering wheel is pulled off and replaced. The horn also packs up if the inner steering column fails to stay earthed which was the case on my Cab. Had to earth it with a coil of wire from the inner colum to the tube fixings ! Been OK for two years.
Keep smiling. J

Beetle restoration. Cabrio GTi (black and shiny). Golf driver.
16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.

Back to the top
Thanks I'll try all of that out

Thanks  :D

1983 GTI-Black

MY very first one AND LOVING IT!!!!!
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.