Skip navigation

Best Starter Motor 020 1.8T

Back to the top

Best Starter Motor 020 1.8T

Got my engine cranking over without plugs today to get some oil pressure up then put them back in and it struggles to turn over, i half realised this was going to be a problem but the mk2 engine i used for the gearbox got sold along with the starter from it. So… what starter is going to produce the most torque on my 1.8T engine, through the mk2 8V 020 gearbox im using!?
Nick

1982 1.8T-20v-GtEfi. K03S. Megasquirt. 16v Servo + MS. Relayed lights. Mk3 Wiper Motor… Getting too Reliable!
With thanks Eddie-Toyotec, Ben-Bens_cab, Brian-Broke and the Mk1 Owners Club! 211Bhp, should get 250 on next map!

Back to the top
diesel starter  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
makes sense really as they are higher compression!? Which years would suit my gearbox?! Cheers bert

1982 1.8T-20v-GtEfi. K03S. Megasquirt. 16v Servo + MS. Relayed lights. Mk3 Wiper Motor… Getting too Reliable!
With thanks Eddie-Toyotec, Ben-Bens_cab, Brian-Broke and the Mk1 Owners Club! 211Bhp, should get 250 on next map!

Back to the top
im using the 1.8 gti starter that was on my car  :lol:

Back to the top
I use the mk1 diesel starter on a mk3 020 box,the mk2 diesedl starter is not as robust as the mk1 unit
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
I would have thought 1.8t would turn over easier than the na 1.8 as dosnt it have a lower compression.

Back to the top
Very poor condition 1.6gti engine, so compression came from somewhere like the sump or possibly the bonnet of the car?! I'll have to keep an eye out for one, cheers guys!

Back to the top
Read on Vortex that a mk4 based tdi automatic starter motor will fit the 020 box.

I'm gonna try it soon, I'll post the results.

Old thread I know but may come in handy for some!

Back to the top
16v mk2, or mk3 1.8-2.0 8v fit and are better than the std mk1/2 starters. as well as diesel as already mentioned.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
If using an o2j box can i stick with the mk4 golf starter? (AGU)

Birmingham

Back to the top
yup

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.