Skip navigation

DIY respray

Back to the top

DIY respray

Out of interest has anyone used nitromors or similar paint stripper to take back to bare metal? Is it a good or bad way?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
nah im just keying back into the paint…just to allow new paint, ill still need to apply primer even if im not going back down to the metal?i think ill do the wings and bonnet first off and attempt the roof secondly and save the panels with glass in till last. Ill post some pics up thursday of how its coming along..
thanks for all the advice!
Mitch

Back to the top
You'll to spray on an isolating layer, then. I can't recommend doing it in stages, if you have the proper spray equipment. Check the website I suggested, it will tell you which order the panels should be optimally sprayed in.

So, what equipment have you now gathered together? Any pics of the stripped shell?

Back to the top
yeah where's the pics??

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
hi guys....sanded the middle section of the bonnet today and had a good think...and ive decided to sell the mk1..it will be up on ebay shortly so keep an eye out. Mitch

Back to the top

Mitch said

hi guys….sanded the middle section of the bonnet today and had a good think…and ive decided to sell the mk1..it will be up on ebay shortly so keep an eye out. Mitch

Are you going to try and sell the car with no paint? Or a half-sanded bonnet?

Back to the top
yes i am...the bonnet needed sanding back because of some scratches and so would the roof because the laquer has come off...but apart from that itll be a nice buy...im going to ask ?320 for it...12 months ticket. I mean it could make a decent daily driver, but im really looking for something already tastefully done in black, being a student....i just dont have time or money even for the smallest things...so im going to sell it and keep saving for another one.

Back to the top
Any pics? Whats the engine? Condition? Originality? etc

Back to the top
well im going to put it all back together first and give her a decent clean, shes 100% original driver (single lamp grill form ECP but original double included)..all original panels, 138,000 some history…she drives good..i just need to charge the battery (left interior light on for 2 days - doh) Im not making anything on this..i kust want the money back what i payed for it. But will post pictures tommorow..or the day after and it will be on ebay. Mitch

Back to the top
Hairyarse wrote:

Out of interest has anyone used nitromors or similar paint stripper to take back to bare metal? Is it a good or bad way?

Nitromors automotive stripper is great stuff. Just paint it on, leave 10-15 mines then scrape away the paint. Found I only needed to do this twice to get all paint off and very good in corners and edges. Watch getting it on your hands though, you can feel it burning you almost instantly 8O

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
This is too late for Mitch but may be of use to somebody. I'm no expert but I can't really see the point in a 'bare metal' respray if the original paint is in sound condition. The important thing is to use panel wipe before you start the rubbing down, you will grind all of the old polish etc into the paint if you don't. I usually use 600 grade wet and dry then prime where there's bare metal. One thing that I've never seen written in a book is the need to put your first coat of finish on very thinly, you should be able to see the colour of the primer through it easily. The experts call it a mist coat or a hanging coat and it helps to prevent runs. Put this on, wait 5 minutes or so then give a full single coat and so on. Even cellulose is toxic so make sure you get a decent mask.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.