Skip navigation

Top mounts

Back to the top

Top mounts

How do you know if the top suspension mounts are on the way out?

Back to the top
they start to split and flare out a bit. The rubber bush part should be firm and straight upright...

Back to the top
If there is more than a thumbs gap between the metal top plate and the rubber, it's shot.

Back to the top
The standard replacements you can get from GSF right?

Just wondering if there is an upgraded version like a "superflex" poly version?? Not too concerned about a harder ride, but keen to upgrade if possible??  :dontknow:

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….
 You get nothing in this game for 2 in a bed!

Back to the top
Not sure if you can get polyurethane top mounts (might be a bit harsh), but if you are buying regular non-VAG ones, be sure to get ones marked FEBI - the ones with no name don't last long, whereas the Febi ones last almost as long as the VAG ones (Febi are an OEM supplier to VAG).

When buying parts which are time-consuming to change (top-mounts, clutch kits, piston rings, etc), it's worth paying a little extra to ensure that you don't have to do it again too soon  :wink:

Back to the top
I believe bonrath offer upgraded top mounts (polyurethane). They advertise on EBay form time to time.

If you use Ebay and do an advance search and look for seller Bonrath, you can then contact them by sending them a message. You may be able to purchase direct.

I think they cost around 65 pounds + P&P.

You can also get solid mounts but I would only recommend those for track day use.

Hope that helps

John

Back to the top
I`m pretty sure Bonrath only cater for mk2 on  :?
 But will do a search on evil-bay, and see what it produces. I`ll probably opt for VAG ones from GSF to be honest..as easily available and a lot cheaper  :wink:

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….

Back to the top
just brought some top mounts for mine today, which I should have done when I replaced the springs and shocks  :roll:

am I right in thinking when the top mounts are shot (which mine are) the steering can be a tad unpredictable to say the least, seems mine is having trouble going in a straight line  8O

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Our automatic was a bitch - heavy steering was not the word !!! New top mounts sorted it.
Make sure that the camber is set up properly, and then the tracking after putting the new mounts in.

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Camber's a mile out which isn't helping, fitting the top mounts on saturday so will adjust the camber while I'm there (by eye for now as it's that far out)

also in need of 2 front tyres so will get them to sort the tracking out to then I'll be able to chuck it round corners once mroe  :D

Back to the top
oh dear… i too am now experiencing heavy handling  :(

Have also got the tell tale sign of a shot top-mount. I can run my little finger between the bush and the metal plate.

Are they easy to swap, or is special tools required like an impact air gun etc..?  :?

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….

Back to the top

Bozlem-Boy said

oh dear… i too am now experiencing heavy handling  :(

Have also got the tell tale sign of a shot top-mount. I can run my little finger between the bush and the metal plate.

Are they easy to swap, or is special tools required like an impact air gun etc..?  :?

You'll need spring compressors to safely open the McPherson strut assembly when you get it off the car (unless you have shorter-than-VAG lowering springs). DON'T open the big nut at the top without them - the spring, under pressure, will launch everything above it (spring-seat, top-mount, assorted nuts and washers, the spanner you're holding, etc) into whatever it's pointing at (your head, your ankle, your child…).
I opened one at the scrappy, to get a less rusty spring-seat, while pointing it at an old bonnet which was propped up against a wall - the "missiles" made one inch-deep dents in the bonnet from 8 feet away 8O

You will also need a full front alignment after re-assembly, but everything else can be done with a good socket set, etc

Back to the top
ahh the things you learn through bitter experience!

must admit that "missle" tale made me chuckle, and glad that no-one was hurt. It sounds like the sort of trick i`d do… :oops:

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….

Back to the top
I was using the (scrap) bonnet to "catch" the missiles (I knew what would happen, but I didn't have compressors to hand).
However, what stunned/scared me was the level of energy released - the spanner just disappeared out of my hand, and any of the flying items would have broken anyone's ankle if they'd been in front of the bonnet…

Back to the top
Good job I've got lowered springs really  :wink:

just done the top mounts, new tyres all round, balanced and tracking.. actually steers where I want it now  :y:

Back to the top
Where did you get your top mounts from PhillTMK1GTI ?  :?

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….

Back to the top
GSF.. ?12 each side

they've made the suspension and steering sooooo much better!

Back to the top
This is useful information about the top mounts.  I know that I want to change these when I move in on new struts - particularly on the side where I have a CV that needs replacement.

On my 1996 Subaru, I was replacing my rear struts, but was going to wait until morning to buy a spring compressor.  My friend got impatient and grabbed a rope and a long socket bar to tighten down the spring.  Folks, this is a perfect example of what NOT to do:

His Arizona methods offended even my red-neck Texas sensibilities!

Back to the top
That is just downright rough!  :D

Impatience always leads to the mother of all fook-ups!

Het JPX are you from the sunny states then??  :dontknow:

Stay out of the black…
 And into the red….

Back to the top
So does this look like a mount in need to replacing? :P

Probably the original one that came with the car.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.