Skip navigation

Back2Black

Back to the top

Back2Black

Did some back2blacking on my wheelarches, bumpers and windscreen thingys, it looks sweet!

Just thought id let u know!!

:oops:

Back to the top
did the same with old oil from the engine, and its looks  8)

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
lol! :clap:

Back to the top
back to black is the beez kneez, but i always find that the next day you can see a film over your paint work from overspray, obviously you can spray your B2B on a cloth and then apply it.
but…….
 i use the turtule wax stuff. its in a bottle like normal car wax and you apply it like wax with a cloth then leave to dry, then stand back and admire!
 does a sweet job 8)

1983 mk1 gti 2.0l 2e powered
newman cam
ported, polished, big valve 1.8 head
audi throttle body
SWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Back to the top
jon boy i use that one too, it lasts longer then all the other cheap stuff..

Mk1 1983 Helios Blue GTI Engineering

Back to the top
Try Auto Glym Bumper and plastic care..... fantastic! 8)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
does it last for a long time though??

my rear arches were faded so bad that it looked like someone had poured bleach all over them!! i tried a few sprays and gels and they would always work for about a week or two.but with the turtle wax gel it restores the colour back for mucj longer..

Mk1 1983 Helios Blue GTI Engineering

Back to the top
Autoglym doesnt seem to last long on my daily driver - i might get some of that turtle wax stuff and give it a go.

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
Haven't tried it on a MK1, but on a lot of plastic bumpers/trims heating them quite gently with a heat gun will restore the colour well and pretty much permanently. If you apply one of these plastic treatments after doing that it looks pukka - almost like new.

I'm going to try this on my MK2 bumpers so I will let you know how it goes and possibly post some pics. You have to be careful or it can all go very pear shaped!!!

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
Never tried that - let me know how it goes otherwise i'll be getting another christmas card from autoglym.

Back to the top
I'll post some before and after photos. Expect to see melted drooping bumpers here soon :lol: It's worked well for me on other cars though.
Hopefully you will get to see them in the plastic (as it were) when I manage to collect the engine! :oops:

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top

geezer said

Never tried that - let me know how it goes otherwise i'll be getting another christmas card from autoglym.
He he…… I love those christmas cards! :lol:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

pol;ish

try black SHOE POLISH!!!!!!!

Birmingham

Back to the top
Armoral spray is the best you can get i think.

Leaves no film or residue and leaves tyres etc brilliant black with a slight sheen. Just spray on its like a milky water and repeat after 30mins for it to last longer. For bumbers etc spray onto cloth and wipe works a treat.

Plus its only ?2.49 from good old wilkos.

Give it a go you will be impressed.

Andy

Back to the top

Shortstuff said

I'll post some before and after photos. Expect to see melted drooping bumpers here soon :lol: It's worked well for me on other cars though.
Hopefully you will get to see them in the plastic (as it were) when I manage to collect the engine! :oops:

I'll do my mk2 with the heat gun but there's no way i'm getting a heat gun anywhere near my new genuine arch trims on the mk 1 (not that they need it). No panic on the engine although i'm getting hitched on the 12th november and on honeymoon for 3 weeks after - not that thats a problem just won't be about . :y:

Back to the top
yeah armorall is damn good stuff but i usually just buy the stuff from a pound shop does just as good and is cheap so doesn't matter if it lasts a little less than expensive stuff

www.msportcam.co.uk

Back to the top
You can get a spray can in "original black" from any big motor factors that sells stuff to the trade. I use it for Smart repairs etc, when the owner has got a black insert in their bumper to make them look like new.

This means for about 8quid you dont have to do them again (as long as you remember to mask out the surrounding area while you do it!!)

Rob :)

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com

Back to the top
All those wipe on treatments come off look rubbish pretty quickly imo.

I use "permenant" colour treatment called Bumper Coat for hard plastics - It does not come off!

Check out this thread which shows some pics of done bumpers and arches:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=913&highlight=

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
The stuff i was on about is permanent looks even better if you splash a little bit more and get a can of matt lacquer to flick over the top.    

how do i list my car at the bottom of the post?

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com

Back to the top

robdcfc1 said

how do i list my car at the bottom of the post?

Go to "My account" on the left
Then click "Your info"
Put your details in the signature box and update tick relavant boxes

Rob - is that stuff a paint or a bonding treatment - how tempermental is it with previous coatings etc?

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.