Skip navigation

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Back to the top

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Hi all
i have an 89 MK1 cab…….. and it is doing my head in…..
i have in 2 years had no probs at all… and in the last 2 weeks nothing but problems.
fan belt went……. fixed at side of road by recovery
head gasket went……. fixed by garage then to discover cam shaft (i think) gasket had not sealed
heater matrix on way out……smells like curry
running really hot…… scared to sit in traffic

and the latest and best is…. the electrics are shot to bits….
put lights on last night. lost clock. panel lights, rev counter, full beam light was on when beam was'nt, oil lights was almost on. turn lights off and everything works again……  it is doing my head in…any advice would be great before i sell it and buy something else

cheers
Mandy

Back to the top
Hi Mandy in more than one sense of the phrase "welcome to the club" :lol:

I think your best bet is to tackle your problems one step at a time. There are some really friendly guys and gals here who always willing to lend a hand. Post each problem seperately under the appropriate technical forum headings, you'll get the best advice that way.

Good luck and don't give up! :wink:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Mandy,

Hi and welcome.

Cam cover seal - take it back to the garage and tell them to do it properly!

Heater matrix - New from GSF (?60) or I can do you a used one for ?20 all in.  Quite easy to fix.

Running hot - replace the thermostat (only about a fiver from GSF).  Run through some coolant flush and refill with correct antifreeze mix and see if that helps.  Is the fan coming on when it is hot?  If not check the wiring and connections.

Electrical problems - this will be down to an earthing problem on the lighting system - check all earths are clean and in good condition - rossette of earths to the right of the fuse box.  Earth in boot at back on the pass side.

If you get stuck let us know  :D

Be strong  :wink:

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
If the garage have been doing head gasket and cam cover gasket then make sure they put the earth strap back on that goes to the back right nut/stud on the cam cover - if they missed this then this could cause all sorts of electrical problems. :banghead:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

thanks

Many thanks for the quick replies….. i love my car 'normally' i will get all earths checked tonight and let you know

thanks again

Mandy

Back to the top
Electrical problems - this will be down to an earthing problem on the lighting system - check all earths are clean and in good condition - rossette of earths to the right of the fuse box. Earth in boot at back on the pass side.

And double check the fuse box too. If any of the fuses themselves are tarnished or loose, you will get all sorts of electric gremlins. Make sure you don't have a water leak from the front windscreen either. These leak right above the fusebox… quite common on mk1s!

Best of luck and welcome to the Club!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

hellllllllllllp

Good advice there from some of the chap's……However watch out for Kins……He will win your trust and then MURDER YOUR GERBIL!!!!!

Back to the top

many thanks all

its ok walt i don't have a gerbil……lol

Hairyarse…..ty ty ty ty ty you were right about the earth…… i love my car again till next time lol

thanks so much guys……but my mechanic friend has gone home in pain….i slapped him so kin hard.

cheers
Mandy :cheer:

Back to the top
Mandy don't listen to walt ever since he bought his new car it's effected his mind.

I can asure you I have never killed a gerbil. I admit at when I was at school in biology I used to squirt them with their water bottle :twisted:  but thats as far as it went. :lol:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
No probs Mandy - my hourly rate is quite reasonable! :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Kins………..
no worries……………i hate rodents anyway. so if i find any how do you like em fried or boiled.

Hairyarse…….
thanks again……. everytime i type your name i get this strange mental image that won't go away……….sorry lmfao

cheers
Mandy  :cheer:

Back to the top
Hairyarse…….
thanks again……. everytime i type your name i get this strange mental image that won't go away……….sorry lmfao

Wait 'til you see him in real life!  8O  :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Thanks Drew!!!

Serious tho, the name has nothing to do with hair or my….. :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Thanks Drew!!!

Serious tho, the name has nothing to do with hair or my….. :lol:

Well, as a matter of interest, why did you pick that username?

Back to the top
It's a long and very dull story! It was more a term/phrase used amongst mates rather than a nickname for me. Can't recall why I used it now but had used it in a load of otehr forums so stuck with it!

Bet you wish you never asked now! :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

hellllllllllllllp

SWEET JESUS.......Kins has an accomplice....Mandy the moll!! You GERBIL MURDERING SWINES!!

Back to the top
Walt………did you mean Moll or Mole………… cos Mole roasted in red wine is wonderful…….lmfao

Anyway i am a member of the society for the prevention of cruelty to vegatables (well i did marry one once) sprouts have feelings too u know

cheers

Back to the top

hellllllllllp

Further evidence of the kind of filth Kins practices in his regime!! Ignore the voices in your head mandy….Listen to Walt….Rodents are good…..Kins is bad! This is how Myra hindly and Ian Brady started out!! You are just a small piece of Kins's bigger plan….Honing your skills first on gerbils and moles and then sending you out as one of his generals! You are a pawn Mandy! A mere pawn! Ignore his promises of greatness and walk away before you get addicted to being a GERBIL MURDERER like him!!

Back to the top

Re: hellllllllllp

walt said

Further evidence of the kind of filth Kins practices in his regime!! Ignore the voices in your head mandy….Listen to Walt….Rodents are good…..Kins is bad! This is how Myra hindly and Ian Brady started out!! You are just a small piece of Kins's bigger plan….Honing your skills first on gerbils and moles and then sending you out as one of his generals! You are a pawn Mandy! A mere pawn! Ignore his promises of greatness and walk away before you get addicted to being a GERBIL MURDERER like him!!

Bang out of line walt :evil:

Back to the top
You lot are all mental……………i feel very at home here

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.