Skip navigation

I bid you gentlemen farewell

Back to the top

I bid you gentlemen farewell

Gents, its been hard to do, but my beloved mk1 has been sold.
I decided to get something more modern as the missis needs to share a car with me. She liked but didn't want to drive the mk1 as she was scared it might break down (as if  :wink: ) Anyway its gone to a good home, a mate called Dan who i'm sure will look after it.

But its not all bad, i've stuck to the best hatch there is and bought another golf (my 3rd) - a mk3gti16v which i'm very happy with. I won a haynes manual for it on ebay on sunday for ?2 !! and i've been to GSF for plugs, filters, oil etc today. So hopefully it'll be good to me.

I know the mk3 gets a panning from the golf purists, but i actually really love the 16v lump and it handles pretty well considering its 1120kgs. I could see myself delving into suspension mods down the line though :wink:

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help, i only wish i could find a mk3 forum thats even close to the level of technical expertise as this forum is.

All the best,
Greg

ps. here's a few pics of the new car.

Back to the top
good luck old chap  :evil:

ur be back :hand:  :naughty:  :pray:

Back to the top
There's not a wave goodbye smilie

you will be back one day  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
ill give you 6 months  :wink:
all the best mate, nice looking motor that!
cheers,
paul

Back to the top
Mk1s are a bit like the hotel California… you can check out, but you can never leave. You'll be back, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon; and for the rest of your life…  8)  :lol: Three misquotes in one post!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Sorry to see you go Greg (but can I use your pics in next years calendar you sent me?!! :lol: )

seriously tho, shame but looks like you have bought a tidy example of the MK3 - and as stated, you will be back!!

Best wishes
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good riddance mk3 scumbag!  8O

Back to the top
Just a little farewell jape! Only kidding! Best of luck and I hope you will see sense in the near future!  :D  Toodleoo!

Back to the top
Nothing wrong with the mk3, makes a good reliable daily driver. Maybe in the future greg you will have the oportunity to own both so you can pamper a mk1 on the weekends :)

Back to the top

drew said

Mk1s are a bit like the hotel California… you can check out, but you can never leave.

Too true - that is the best thing I've heard for a while hehehe…

I went down the Mk3 route and missed the old Mk1 almost immediately. Luckily it didn't sell and was sat on the drive waiting for my return!

Back to the top
Many thanks guys, i'm touched :cry:
I think Drew summed it up perfectly - i'm just checking out for a while, i'll be back one day. Hopefully with a nice campaign  :D
All the very best,
Greg

Back to the top
Sorry to hear you're defecting Greg :lol: enjoyed the 1.1 blog. You'll be back.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Very nice looking mk3 Golf Greg :lol: , no doubt everything is electrical, with on rattles, no vibration, no RUST and is very comfortable. Makes sense really.

All the best Greg.

Back to the top
Very nice looking mk3 Golf Greg  , no doubt everything is electrical, with on rattles, no vibration, no RUST and is very comfortable. Makes sense really.

But what whould you you do with your evenings/weekends? Enjoy yourself, spend money on the other half or the kids? Where's the fun in that..  :dontknow:
 :wink:

Seen you back on the site soon Greg…!

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
I decided to get something more modern as the missis needs to share a car with me. She liked but didn't want to drive the mk1 as she was scared it might break down.
I'd have changed the missis and kept the car - much better plan! - lol

Back to the top
Probably cheaper!  :wink:

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)
There are too many online users to list.