Skip navigation

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Back to the top
I do like vintage US stuff, was in my element when we went to Orlando last year and caught the Old Town cruise, good memories of being there as a kid in the 90s. Rented a soft top mustang as well just because!

20190601_195201.jpg 20190601_195228.jpg 20190601_195221.jpg 20190601_195443.jpg 20190526_094913.jpg

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Look great and what memories.
I went to Cuba about 10 years ago and there were some awesome old US cars there.
I took loads of photos but not sure where they are now.
Think they went when my hard drive died. Like a numpty I didn’t back them up.
Got me thinking though I wonder if they’re on the old memory card from the actual camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Cool, they do like their old Americana in Cuba. Would love to visit someday.

Today's update - been searching for ages for a set of sensibly priced caps for my cookies, they are quite hard to get and those that do come up for sale are not cheap. Been watching a couple of sets on ebay from the same seller but couldn't stretch to 100 quid for his most battered set, they had been on for ages so sent him a cheeky offer and ended up getting them for 80 quid which is still not exactly cheap but that's probably the best I'll get deal wise.

Here they are looking decidedly sorry for themselves:

20200407_110349.jpg

Not going overboard with the refurb on them as to get them perfect I'd have had to start with a better set in the first place so settled for a good rub down with wet and dry and a shot of primer followed by satin black. Pics when they are dry and on!

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Looks like mainly old paint so a careful pick, scrape and some decent solvent should clean that lot off.

Did you say someone put an early hood frame on yours?
The 79-81 are t really supposed to go on later cars.
The made post 79-81 cabs longer.
So it can stretch the frame a bit.
We order our headliners by year but I’ve had a few give me the years and I’ve ordered them only to find that they did the old trick of swapping the frame thinking they were gonna save money and ended up getting burnt as what they buy is old anyway.
So when they turn up the headliner don’t fit.
There’s 3 different frames year depending so unless I’ve got another spare that’s year correct then they got to wait.
Last one I had was G Reg so we got the frame was shot all shaken loose only option to source a second hand one.
Found one but the seller wanted daft money.
“Because it’s a complete roof.”
He stated.
I’ve said but what’s on there isn’t any good the headliner is torn and the padding is hanging out it’s just garbage.
Plus we only needed the frame.
Needless to say the £500 price tag put the customer off.
Managed to get one off a decent seller I tend to use.
But was journey to go fetch it.

Back to the top
The caps are painted now, gave them a good going over with wet and dry to flatten off/remove most of the old paint then gave them a once over with Halford's best… they look acceptable, as mentioned if I wanted mint I'd have had to buy a much less battered set to start with.

20200407_204057.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine with the roof. Does look like it's been thrown on though. The rear screen is etched with a Y reg so I assume the whole roof is off an early car unless of course it's a mishmash of old and new if its had glass fitted from a breaker or whatever. Not sure how I'm going to solve the mystery, are the frames marked in any way? I'm hoping not to have to source a complete frame and have that re roofed as that will probably make the cost prohibitive 🤔

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Usual way to tell us where the lock mechanism is for when the hood is
down.
On early cars it’s mid point on the frame. The old finger chopper.
Later had the release latch by the rear seat back rest.
You can also tell be the seam distance of the panel if the headliner.
You measure the seam distance either side of the panel above your head.

Back to the top
Ok, the release for mine is on a button either side of the rear seat back in the plastic trim if that helps?

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Best way is to measure seams between the centre panel.

Might be that glass is from another car?
Who knows with these cars.

Back to the top
Will give that a go, cheers. At least then I might know what I'm dealing with!

Back to the top
I spent yesterday grunting and swearing on the driveway for a few hours fitting coilovers to my cab. The car came lowered on FK springs (50 quid if anyone wants them) but the rear height was not to my liking so happened upon a set of near new coilovers on ebay for a bargain price to my door.

Anyway 6 hours, a couple of grinder cutting discs, half a can of gas for my blowtorch, and many skinned knuckles and profanities later, heres the result (I literally stuck it straight back in the garage after fitting so need to go back round with the tape measure when it's all settled and make adjustments where needed)

While the NSF was in the air I took the arch liner out and fitted a new aerial. Unfortunately this exposed a nice round patch where the dimwit who painted it masked up the aerial base rather than taking it off (I suspect more masking tape was utilised in the painting of this car than actual paint) oh well….

And my knackered parcel shelf finally gave up under the weight of some very 90s looking 6x9 speakers so I stripped it and will remake another in MDF using Brian's excellent how to

Lastly, after the suspension went on it's really emphasising how much that NSR wheel tucks in compared to the OSR. I gave both rear drums a measure and both the same as are the spacers. The wheels are all 7.5j so still none the wiser. I will get the back end up on axle stands and take some more comprehensive measurements and see if I can establish what's going. Any suggestions welcome…

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top
Not sure what I did wrong but pics:

20200418_124255.jpg 20200418_124314.jpg 20200418_124335.jpg 20200418_124407.jpg 20200418_124346.jpg 20200418_124544.jpg 20200418_124417.jpg 20200418_124428.jpg

Back to the top
Roof fixed on my garage yesterday:

20200512_132507.jpg

Just in time for today's job, the dreaded rear beam bushes 🤪

20200512_132332.jpg

Back to the top
After tackling one rubbish job this week (beam bushes) I moved on to another rubbish job, new sump/gasket/plug/oil pump/oil and filter

More a precaution that anything else as despite giving good oil pressure I cant see any evidence the pumps been replaced and the sump looks like it's been dredged up from the bottom of the ocean so worth the smallish outlay to replace it all for peace of mind.

20200516_123753.jpg

Also, my damaged wheel is due back any day now and I have asked for him to paint all 4 centrecaps to match so hopefully they will look the part when done.

Also replaced all 4 adaptors as the fronts were threaded so didnt nip up tight and the backs had dodgy cut down bolts. So all new adapters and a fresh set of 20 new m14 wheel bolts should mean no more wheel exiting the car at speed mishaps 🤣

Back to the top
Nice to get the nasty jobs out of the way  :thumbs:

Glad you sorted the wheel out.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Glad you had fun with the rear beam bushes and coilover install.

Even the dog hides when I have to do jobs like that  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
To be fair, I'm surprised at how straight forward the beam went. I already very carefully removed and refitted the mount to body nuts a few days ago so they didnt give me any hassle, and I managed to drop the beam down far enough to get the mounts off without disturbing brake lines. Even getting the old bushes out was a doddle - a couple of mins with the blowtorch and out they came. Bought powerflex replacements as despite being expensive are guaranteed to actually fit right and just push in by hand. So all in all only a couple of hours start to finish 🙂

Back to the top
 :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

You Sir, are a magician!

Couple of hours  :o  :o  :o

I take my hat off to you  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Re:

Richarddarrenb said

To be fair, I'm surprised at how straight forward the beam went. I already very carefully removed and refitted the mount to body nuts a few days ago so they didnt give me any hassle, and I managed to drop the beam down far enough to get the mounts off without disturbing brake lines. Even getting the old bushes out was a doddle - a couple of mins with the blowtorch and out they came. Bought powerflex replacements as despite being expensive are guaranteed to actually fit right and just push in by hand. So all in all only a couple of hours start to finish
Do you have the part numbers for the poly bushes for the rear beam?
Restoring mine just now and this is on the to do list.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hi mate

Bought from ebay from a company called LK Performance who are about 2 mins from my work ironically.

Screenshot_20200523-144612_eBay.jpg

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top
Small update more so that I can log the work I've done on the car!

First up the damaged rear wheel is back from repair and repaint, no pics tho as the passenger side is up against the garage wall so cant get down!

At the same time the Porshe caps were given a waft over in gold.

So since my lost wheel mishap I have been collecting parts to replace all the hardware holding the wheels onto the car (or not, as the departed back wheel will testify) having removed all 4 adapters and bolts for scrutiny, it became apparent that the fronts were scrap as the bolt threads where no good and as a result the wheel bolts would not tighten to torque, and the rears while in serviceable condition had been fitted with badly cut down bolts and I had no faith in these after my recent mishap.

So I ordered up a new set of 4 from Venom plus 20 new correct sized M14 wheel bolts, I opted for 20mm for the front and 25 for the back just to push them out that bit more, previously it ran 15 and 20mm adapters.

20200523_145034.jpg
20200523_145028.jpg
20200523_145044.jpg
20200523_145056.jpg

With all that done I then fitted a new oil pump, sump pan, gasket, plug, and oil and filter all from Heritage. The car was due an oil change anyway and on cold start the tappets rattled the garage windows so for less than 100 quid and a couple of hours of my time I replaced the lot, definitely a job worth doing as the engine is whisper quiet now and the oil pressure on startup is showing around 4bar according to the vdo gauge so all good there.

And finally I fitted a good used chin spoiler as the old one had traces of paint from where the bumper was repainted and it looked poop.

20200523_145120.jpg

Next on my list is to speak with Chortle and get him to appraise the roof and headlining as it's all over the place. I'd also like some crystal m3 tail lights and matching sides and front indicators as the ambers make it look very dated (yes I know its 32 years old but personal preference)

And the search for a new rear beam continues in an attempt to finally fix that irritating passenger rear wheel tuck!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.