Skip navigation

How long has your car been off the road then?

Back to the top
I recently did a check on my latest purchase, Blackey the black golf, with the DVLA MOT check thingy

only thing showing is a failure in 2012, so I'm guessing it's been off the road for ages. To the best of my knowledge the system goes back for ten years! It also showed it as being white with a 1.1 in it. I bought it with no engine and in (badly painted) black. It was blue originally!

so who's been off longer then?

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
2006 for me. So 10 years. Very very slooooow  resto!

Sent from a phone, please excuse all the medium steaks. Stupid autocorrect!!

Back to the top
Think mine is over 14/15 as I owned it 10yr
Only put on road this yr
I know it was standing out side a place I used do work for 5yr stroipped
Can't chec as dvla doesn't go back
If anyone can check be nice know my reg
FGC 555X

Back to the top
There seems to be a ten year theme going on here!

get a move on chaps for goodness sake!  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
4 weeks now and its absolutely killing me not being able to drive it..   gone from fully road worthy with 12 months mot to a rolling shell. no interior at all, no wheels or rear beam, spare wheel well cut out. rear panel cut off. no engine or exhaust.

goes in to paint in about 6 weeks. when it comes back its getting a 20v and all new running gear. hopefully be back on road in about 3-4 months. i have 90% of it ready to bolt on when its back from full respray

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top
dan-j-w
Show off!!!   ;)

Back to the top
Just past 9 years for me!!!!

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fat-last-hairys-resto&start__keyed=

On the upside, the car is now in my unit and after clearing out some other cars, I hope to be working on it again before Christmas! :)

20160605_095455137_iOS.jpg

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Embarrassed to say it'll be 10 years next summer!

Even more sad is it didn't need much doing to it either… Piccie from 2007

Back to the top
my audi has been off the road since 1996 and my golf since 2002. although I have only owned them for 2 years. At least it keeps the mileage down WP_20150923_16_18_49_Pro.jpg

Back to the top
Caddy MoT expired in December 2008 (then failed earlier this year due to corrosion...)

Back to the top
6months for me missed out on all the summer again it was off the road for 3 months last summer as well gutted ! 

Back to the top
Ever wonder why we bother?

Personally I don't even like driving………..

But I like building them. Am I weird?

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

dan-j-w
Show off!!!   ;)

Ha ha. Pmsl, lol

;-)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Just past 9 years for me!!!!

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fat-last-hairys-resto&start__keyed=

On the upside, the car is now in my unit and after clearing out some other cars, I hope to be working on it again before Christmas! :)

I'm just doing the garage extension so I can get back to it. 2016-09-25 19.14.15.jpg
 Going to take that roof all the way over the current garage and get rid of the old asbestos roof, then clad it all so it looks like a barn.
loads of storage in the roof plus space to work at the back.
I'm a bit tight for space at the mo
2016-09-17 14.14.44.jpg

Back to the top
Must be a theme here.

I'm making the garage bigger too.  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Oh nice. Any pics if the progress?

Back to the top
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Don't get me started!

Chap was contracted to do the plans and the planning permission for me in May.

Been chasing him since July. He finally admitted today he hasn't even started! Apparently he's been doing the urgent stuff first. Not happy!

Gotta find someone else to do the planning permission for me now.

Basically so far has been tidy up thr garden, build a shed for all the bits from the garage and I put wheels on another shed and moved it across the garden, that was fun!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The last tax disc for mine ran out  2007,  hopefully not too long until its back on the road, and my other mk1 has been off the road since it failed its MOT feb 2011, got to finish my other before I start this one though. Although its not a mk1, my dad has a  72 Fiat 500 thats been off the road since 1989 and I can't see that returning anytime soon!

Back to the top
i dont know how you lot can do it.  everyday i have to walk past my mk1 sat there wrapped in a tarp and it makes me sick. im counting the days until it gets the new rear panel and paint!   i couldnt own a car for years without driving it.   i put nearly  2,000 miles on my mk1 between march 2016 and july 2016.  getting home from work jumping in it and going for long drives. using it every opportunity i could.  and it will go back to exactly that as soon as its back on the road.

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top
borednow

Awww. That sucks. I'm just doing it all myself so I don't have to rely on people letting you down.

Takes a little while to draw up plans but easier and much cheaper in the long run.
I hope it gets sorted soon

dan-j-w
Unfortunately sometimes life just gets in the way, the car has managed to stay with me through a divorce, several house moves and 2 kids so I'm more determined than ever to get him back on the road… But I know what you mean, I just want to crack on and get back to working on him.

There are too many online users to list.