Skip navigation

Quest for more power

Back to the top

What direction to take...

No-one can call this easy…..

Thanks rubjonny. I'll see if I can get a later shifter and 02j tower.

I have decided to use the hydraulic clutch as the mechanical lever alone is 90 pounds from vw. As my column needs to come out anyway for some other work, i'll get a mk3 master cyl and fabricate a bracket up.

Many thanks
Huw

Back to the top
Oh, and am I correct in thinking it doesn't matter if it is a 5 or 6 speed gear selector?
I would imagine that if gear 6 is not there, then the lever wont be able to go there???
Thanks

Back to the top
the cable brackets and lengths etc differ slightly with 6 speed, but apart from that i think you're ok getting shifter and cables from one. but tbh, you're not going to struggle to find a 5 speed one really ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks rubjonny
Just got back from the scrappy and the pickings were a bit thin.. Managed to get a tower from an 02J ENJ box out of an Audi 1.8T, and I got the cable selector as well. They are ball fittings on the tower. I hope its the right one….
Also got lower pulley for water pump and mk2 coil. :)

The bad news is I have just been told my block has 4 thou wear in the piston barrels and there are no oversize pistons in stock :(

I'll get on clubgti and ask tonight as someone must know where to get them from for an ABF…. I was hoping it didn't need a re-bore…..

Back to the top
worst case a mk3 AGG or ADY block will work as a replacement, shouldn't be too hard to get or expensive. you'll have to swap out all the internals obviously

Back to the top
Cheers rubjonny, that is great to know.

Will the gear change parts be suitable for my mk1??

I got all my engine bits back today and I am not convinced I need a re-bore.

Engine shop says 4 thou wear in diameter - 0.1mm in new money! Speaking to them today, they say that is only at the top where the 'bang' happens, the rest of the bore is fine.

I take off the top piston ring from each piston and slide it into the bore 10mm from top.
Gap measures 0.8mm max between ends on all bores.
Slide it down to 50mm deep and gaps are 0.7mm.
I know it is a used piston ring so it will have some wear, but it is a relative measurement.

Therefore, a 0.1mm change in circumference. We all know circumf=PiD. Therefore diameter change is Circumf change over Pi = 0.03mm. Not a lot.

What should the piston ring gap be on install?
Does anyone know??
Thanks
Huw

Back to the top
mk2/3 gearchange bits all differ I'm afraid.
wear limit for the rings is measured about 15mm from the bottom of the bore, from new compression ring spec is 0.2-0.4mm new, oil scraper is 0.25mm-0.5mm. both have a wear limit of 1mm.

then you check the ring gap in the groove, it should be 0.02mm-0.07mm for the compression and 0.02-0.06 for the scraper ring both have a wear limit of 0.15.

next the bore spec: (piston - bore)
basic - 82.485 - 82.51
1st oversize - 82.735 - 82.76
2nd oversize - 82.985 - 83.01

you need to check at 3 points down the bore, the maximum deviation is 0.08mm. Elsa tells you not to measure anything when the block is mounted on a stand as it can affect the bore readings

Back to the top
I had another look tonight and right at the top where the bang happens is over 1mm gap :(
The rest of the bore is 0,7-0.8.
However, it's only at the top where the honing marks have worn away, so it may be that my rings are worn badly.
I have a set of bore gauges coming soon so I can measure the bores properly before I make a final decision.
Many thanks

Back to the top
you only measure the ring gap at the bottom anyway so they're all within spec if below 1mm, just a case of is the bore within spec, it does sound liek it could be out but my matths isnt good enough to work it out :lol:

Back to the top
Hi John
Got my bore gauges today and have been measuring..
Most of my bores are fine, apart from the 5mm to TDC for the top ring. It is right on top spec.

If I just ring it and it's not right, it'll cost me much more to tear it down, new gaskest, head bolts, etc, so I'm seriously considering getting some pistons from the states.

Thanks for the info.

Back to the top
looking at the elsawin and an abf manual I have here I'm pretty sure that it suggests to measure 10mm from the top and bottom of the bores, if so then all of your measurements are within spec :)

Back to the top
Your right John, all in spec if I follow the dimension locations, but that top 5mm does worry me a bit…

99% sure that I'd fit new rings and never have a problem……but,……..you never know!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.