Skip navigation

Mk2 throttle body

Back to the top
I have a manifold widened out and a mk2 throttle body to fit to my 1.6 EG engine mk1.

Notices the idle adjuster screw is missing from the throttle body.

They a near impossible to find.

Question is - do I need it. Given I am running bosh K jet.

There might be one on the mk1 body I can swap into a it but have not had chance to look at it just yet.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Have you got a picture? Without the idle screw you'll just be letting air bypass the k-jet air flow plate, as its open to the atmosphere. Unless you are referring to the throttle stop screw which you shouldn't use for adjusting idle anyway.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Mk2 throttle body

Found and ordered this one.

Worth a punt for less than £20.

https://www.maxrpm.de/Idle-screw-for-Golf-MK1-Golf-MK2-GTI-16V-GTI-Scirocco-EX-DX-EG-KR16V

But I believe this is what is missing from my throttle body.

Back to the top
That is the Idle by-pass Screw.  without it you have a large Vacuum leak.

mine looks more like:
https://bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/products/1450/VW_Idle_screw_for_2H_PG_(G60)_9A_PL_KR_engines_(OEM_051_133_432)

And I wrap the threads of the thing with Teflon Tape.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Mk2 throttle body

Max rpm setting a new standard with Haribo

Back to the top
Appreciate this a really old thread - but it's the only post I can find that mentions this company - did you have to pay any UK vat, duty etc on this. I'm struggling to find out if I'm going to get hit with extra costs by using them in this brave new world post Brexit….

Back to the top
I used them late last year, found them a reputable outfit and English wasn't a problem (which was good as it turned out and I don't speak German).

You've likely already found this out, but if not when you register to their site you've to give a postal address, that presumably automatically alerts them to delivery costs to outside of Germany / potential duty differences, both of which are calculated at the checkout stage.

I believe German VAT is 19% at the moment, but regardless of that they'll charge you our current 20% by default and the paperwork'll reflect that when it enters into the UK - so you shouldn't have anything extra to pay on that score as you already have.

If it's just the throttle body screw you're buying, its value is potentially below the threshhold for paying import duty… check that though

I think I'm right in saying the items value includes it's postage cost and the threshold is low.

When I used them we were still in an interim grace period where automotive stuff wasn't yet being charged import duty so long as the item was made in the EU… again I think that's possibly no longer the case and duty is now applied.

On a lowish value item it's not so much the duty that'll cost you, it's whatever the admin. fee you can get hit for that stings.

I'm N.Ireland, things may be different here to the rest of the UK… what I was finding was some couriers were taking it on themselves to do the paperwork prior to entry into the UK / paying the duty on your behalf then charging over the odds for the service… don't pay them, they don't deliver.

If that doesn't happen and Customs themselves tug it / charge you, the same'll apply, but it was always a much lesser fixed admin. fee.

MaxRPM did the paperwork flawlessly, but as I said we were only contending with the VAT back then, things could very easily have changed dramatically since!

Back to the top
Thanks for that info. Was looking at a vernier pulley, I've done some digging and reckon even with duty (which at less than £135 is seemingly 0) add the Vat and the £11 that DHL charge for the privilege of paying said vat on my part, it's still a load cheaper than what they are in the UK. Worth a punt!

J

Back to the top
The Schrick one?

Back to the top
Was this one - basic, but will do the job.
https://www.maxrpm.de/Adjustable-vernier-pulley-camshaft-pulley-for-all-G60-engines-18L-PG
I know it says G60, but the cam pulley is the same part number as the MK1.

I do like the look of this one https://www.maxrpm.de/Adjustable-billet-vernier-pulley-camshaft-pulley-for-all-G60-engines-18L-PG
but no one will ever see it!

Back to the top
I'm so kicking myself I didn't add that to the order last year, it's still in my wish list folder!

It was because I wasn't 100% sure it'd be for my 1.8 EV and that made me waver.

Things have changed a little on their site… previously it adjusted the VAT rate to the UK 20% automatically, it now appears to charge no VAT at all leaving it up to you / the courier to sort that bit out for yourself on entry to the UK.

Suppose it cuts their export / import admin. down to the bare minimum for them and if there's any hic-ups they don't have to get involved?

Had a quick scan of the Govt.UK site again and it too is subtly different, emphasis now seems to have shifted from the seller collecting the VAT to the courier instead.

As you say the import duty threshold is £135 and it does include the postage… wonder does it also include the courier admin fee as well?

If so that might have the potential to push you over into paying it?

Different goods have different duty rates… if you have to pay it, I've no idea what classification your vernier wheel'll be under to find out its rate.

Keep us posted how you get on, both cost wise and the spec. of the wheel to see if it'll suit my engine… cheers.

Back to the top
I did email them and they confirmed it will fit all the std 1.8 8v engines.

Yep, they don't charge any VAT as you say, saves on their paperwork (unlike the big outfits like Autodoc).

I'll let you know what I get stung for!

There are too many online users to list.