Skip navigation

Fuel Pump Relay Issue

Back to the top
Hi Everyone,

I know there are a number of very informative posts here in connection to fuel pump relay issues but i have an issue with mine that's slightly different to them all (i think).

When i bridge the connectors 15 and 87 the pump runs and the car starts and idles.  when i switch the car off the pump stops running ….. all good so far however this is not a permanent solution.

When i fit the relay in place it is getting power as i can feel the relay click when the ignition is turned on, but the fuel pump doesn't prime and the car just wont start (it will turn over).

I have a '84 GTI with a '83 fuse box in but its all hooked up as far as i can tell correctly as everything else works other than the  Rev counter doesn't work when the car is turned on, but i assumed thats something to do with the relay.  I have a new relay with the fuse on the top and have tested the relay with a multi-metre, is this the correct relay?

what do we think it could be and what do i check next.

thanks in advance

Back to the top
Check your wires on your coil.  They provide the signal source for your fuel pump and your tach. If you don't have the bonding wire from the Valve cover to the coil bracket that has been known to cause issues as well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
thanks Briano1234.  i will have a look

Back to the top
ok so no bonded wire from the coil to value cover.

I forgot to mention i have aba 2ltr engine that was put in before i bought the car.  so no bracket like on the standard engine 1.8 engine.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.