Skip navigation

20vt. 1 full day on the road = head gasket gone!

Back to the top

thickfreakness said

I've routed it, as the picture in this thread mate:

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-injection_2%2Fcoolant-lines

No theres no bypass, would this have created the problem?

I know very little about this conversion but in checking that water flow diagram how do you cool the engine when the matrix is closed off. Using the oil cooler route is not enough and could be the cause of premature head gasket failure.

Back to the top
Sorry John, what do you mean by breather atmosphere? I currently have it going to a catch tank with a small breather on the other side. Is it normal for the PCV to build up pressure?

Hi Cero, I thought that as the system is blocked off at the matrix then the coolant would enter the engine through the oil cooler line… What would you suggest?

Cheers

Back to the top
Why not try bypassing the matrix altogether by connecting the two pipes directly together, then see if the engine runs any cooler and if it does devise some form of pipe work set-up that will allow you to reconnect it but also then alters the flow through the pipes if this section is the closed.

Back to the top
ah you alreadyu have done as i have advised then, it is normal for it to breathe a bit from the pcv but excessive gasses could indicate ring issue

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
The temperature of the engine is running fine though mate. I think I've sussed it as being an oil seal gone in the turbo, the lads at the rolling road re-routed my manual boost controller wrong, will this have made any odds to why the seal has gone do you know?

Back to the top
Looking at the your diagram for the plumbing it looks to me that there is no flow of water  through the turbo when the stat is shut . Maybe the turbo overheated caused the seal to fail.

I am also doing a aeb conversion I think the turbo water line needs to go in the bypass pipe that returns to the waterpump.As you have it at the moment there is no flow until water runs through the rad??

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Is the coolant feed to the turbo not from the engine block on all 20vt's, so passes through the stat and into the engine and then the turbo.

The returning pipe is then plumbed into the system before the top of the rad allowing it to cool before being pumped back around the system?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.