Skip navigation

12v socket installation help

Back to the top
Hello guys got a little issue with my original 12v socket, well I used it with a normal.charger and it worked fine but then I tried my sat nav charger and it lit up the light on the charger then it went dead taking my dash clock to after a while the dash clock came back on but now it comes on and sometimes goes off, help.to solve this issue will be good but I need to make a journey soon and need to use my sat nav, now I want to install a 12v socket that I could use temp till I get around to sorting the original out, I was thinking using of using a 14 awg wire and a inline fuse taking the feed of the battery and also using the neg terminal of the battery to ground it, now I'm thinking what fuse rating will be suitable for a inline fuse 10amp or 15amp, all help appreciated and if anyone can point me in the right direction to fixing me origional it would be great, thanks

Back to the top
Sounds just like a loose connection at the rear of the original socket. You could tap into these wires to save having to run any new ones? Just test it at the plug point with a volt meter? 

I think I'd be looking at the original socket and wiring to get it working before I'd put a new one in. 

Back to the top
I had a look today had the compartment out and wires seem fine they just temperamental, I was thinking of removing the old wires of the 12v socket and adding new ones via the battery with a 10amp fuse, but will my dash clock work if the 12v plug is not on the socket, or does the 12v plug need to be connected to the socket for it to work, I also see a blue and white wire that goes to the bulb will this also be the same wire to light up the dash clock ? ,

Back to the top
The 12v origional socket is ok as I had it tested on my other car and it worked and when I tested the other cars socket on the golf it gave me nothing then after few months it came alive then when I plugged  my sat nav in it went a bit temperamental the dash click did and socket ain't worked, before u tried a satnav I tried a normal charger for another appliance and it lit up ok

Back to the top
try a new fuse for starters, they dont last forever. chase the wirign back to the spade connector and give that a clean, and check the wirign over for damage as best you can towards the fusebox/clocks

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Fuse seems ok there's no breaks in wires but I need to check connectors, the clock is fine but soon as ignition is switched on it dies so I suspect connector, I have run some temp wires via battery to 12v socket as I needed it urgent and didn't want to be left stranded If the original wiring played up on the journey, but I will look at connectors the clock is working now so will see what it does in morning lol
There are too many online users to list.