Skip navigation

The 'simple engine swap' out of control project (pic heavy)

Back to the top

The 'simple engine swap' out of control project (pic heavy)

Top work :wink:

Have you started fitting the wings yet? I found with repo' wings the pressings are good, it's just the way they are put together that lets them down and causes problems with alignment. If you grind the sopt welds off and release the inner mounting part of the wing where it bolts to the A pillar and adjust this to suit and re-weld it, you should get a good fit.

Keep up the good work!

Back to the top
Great work on this so far bud! I look forward to further updates :)

Back to the top
Hi mate

Are you painting it on your drive in the open? How are you stopping it being contaminated - bugs getting onto the paint etc?

Thanks

David

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Cheers for the tip about the wings, that's really good info, i'll look into that when I do get round to fitting them :)

Yea painted it on the drive with no cover, it's cellulose paint, so touch dry in just a couple of minutes.

Being a light colour it did attract a few flies, only very very small ones, which i sanded out between coats, but I was very lucky over all. Also had my brother keeping an eye for me while I was spraying so that I could quickly blast them away before they landed on the wet stuff!

Seemed to have more spiders on it than anything!

Back to the top
I love self builds like this, one of the best build threads on here at the min looking forward to the progress top work fella.

Back to the top
Wow! Thanks, that means alot dude  :D

It is about as DIY as you can get really and I hope that in doing this build thread it gives others the inspiration or confidence to have a crack at their own projects if perhaps theyve been unsure.

I'll try not to leave it 7 weeks til the next update again!

I did get one of the doors out of storage this afternoon and get it all stripped and sanded down, ready to paint if nor tomorrow then friday I hope, so the next real photo update should be at the weekend :)

Cheers guys

Rich

Back to the top
You have defo given me inspiration and wonder why I moan when I say I need a big garage to do it all in but it would be nice lol

Back to the top
Haha, i'm pleased to hear it!

I still do moan that I need a big garage or a barn to do it all in ;)

Rich

Back to the top
Do you have a dead line to finish it? What engine you putting in it feel sure you said but cant be botheto look back lol. My g60 engine would look sweet in it :)

Back to the top
No real deadline mate no, would just like to be getting to a few shows next year in it!

I got a 9A for it, that was how the whole project started! Didnt feel right to change the engine without seeing to what I thought was 'a little rust here and there'!!

Will be doing the bike carb route, ive got the carbs and made half the manifold already, before I got really stuck in with the car.

Though of course; donate your g60 by all means ;)

Back to the top
9a on carbs good choice will suit the car really well looking forward to seeing it at some shows next year. I sound like a stalker lol good luck chap

Dan

Back to the top
Haha, I won't tell anyone :P

I appreciate the interest, thanks!

Rich

Back to the top
awesome, im doing a diy effort on my mk1, hope it turns out half as good as yours

Back to the top
Cheers pal :)

Just don't give up on it, it will try your paitience!

Then im sure it will turn out great!

Back to the top
Another awesome build, subscribed, just awesomeness what can I say  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Now thats just added pressure really! Haha.

Thanks alot though :)

I gave the o/s door its first coat of primer yesterday, had some unusual contamination appear though. Annoying that I managed to spray the entire shell outside in the open with no problems, yet I do one door in an enclosed gazebo and I get contamination?!

So, with that and the weather today ive left it so the primer is well cured, will get back to it on saturday. Also going to need to get some more primer and possibly topcoat too, definately dont have enough primer for both doors and the boot, which means it will probably be slow progress this weekend :(

Rich

Back to the top
Holy crap man are u insane……………lol
What a stunning piece of work / craftsmanship I'm in awe.
Just wondered how the BUDGET is going?

When mine needs fixing up you fancy helping ???
I have a CARPORT.  Lol  but seriously keep it up mate ,
Cannot wait for the next set of piccys

1988 mk1 golf gti cabby
1991 mk2 golf 1.6 driver

Back to the top
Ahh yes, the budget..it's definately..going!

Ive not added up all receipts really, but as a guide it goes as follows:

Car £1700
Engine £250 delivered
Carbs £40
Compressor/equipment/consumables £400
Wheels £315
Seats £120
Headlining £70/80ish (cant remember exactly)
All manner of new mechanical parts £650 (with more to buy)

Probably more ive forgotton, but as you can see, easily 3 and a half grand including the purchase of the car so far.

Id guess theres probably another grand needed to see it on the road, quite where thats coming from i dont know as work is now drying up for the winter!

Its far more than I ever imagined putting into the car to be honest, hence the 'out of control' part of the title! :)

P.S. I'd love a carport! Haha

Rich

Back to the top
Just a quick update, got the door painted this week and fitted to the car today

20121018_150933 by myfirstmk1, on Flickr

Also made a new door card this afternoon, will do a step by step in another section at some point

20121018_205006 by myfirstmk1, on Flickr

Rich

Back to the top
Nice :wink:

Good work on the door cards to, I take it the part with holes is for a speaker? I remember making my door cards and then fitting it all up and the winder wouldn't clear the speaker casing :redfaced:  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.