Skip navigation

power hood wiring loom

Back to the top
Hi
 i am fitting a power hood to my cabby but need a bit of help with what goes were in the loom department
Its a genuine unchopped loom so everythings there that should be.
Theres the red power that goes to the battery
And the socket that goes to the switch
And a brown that goes to the earth crown

But the ones i am not sure about are the
Purple (cut at the end but a socket half way down) ?
Black (double socket male and female)?
Blue/grey (must be illumination but again double socket male and female)?
Red (thinner red wire with 4pin socket on it)?

Any help much appreciated

1989 helio\'s blue clipper

Back to the top

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
do you have the control unit too?

Back to the top
Purple is the hood limiting wire. These go to the press studs on the top of the plastic trims either side of the rear seat facing the rear windows. The flaps on the tonneau cover snap on to them and this disables the roof operation. Reason is to stop you accidentally putting the roof up with the cover in place.
One wire per side.
piccy below isn't good but gives you an idea of the control unit etc.

Back to the top
just found this pic too.

Back to the top
Hi chortle
Cheers for that mate
Yes i have the control box, the loom is complete I have pretty much what's in the bottom picture aside from the wires on the end of the plastic covers, which I assume is were the purple wire goes.
Just need the location of the red 4pin plug and the black now, I won't worry about the purple if that what they are for (unless they need to by plugged in for it to work).
Have you got a better image resolution of the wiring diagram and the fitting page, I can't seem to see them when there enlarged they go quite blurry, there better than I have. The only stuff I have about cabriolet hood convertion is in the Haynes restoration manual and although very good, not as detailed as your pages.
Cheers kurt

1989 helio\'s blue clipper

Back to the top

chortle said

do you have the control unit too?

Hi Chortle,

Your comments on this thread are very helpful but a larger version of these pages would be awesome if you could post them? Thanks very much… Manda!

Capri green clipper cabriolet, my first and only car, met her before my husband, my daily driver for 15 years - only just beginning to realise what a mission that is and what a superstar car she is!

Back to the top
Hello,

I realise I'm picking up an old thread here but I am just getting to the point of working out the electrics on my Barn-find 93 Mk1 Convertible.

Is there anywhere I can access the various diagrams shown here?

Do I read this that all four of the relays on the LH rear wing are to do with the hood mechanism??

I have just found the purple wires to the press studs for the tonneau cover and worked out that they must be some kind of interlock. VW thought of everything!

One of my challenges is that - at some stage in its past - the hood motor (now missing) has obviously deposited its hydraulic fluid all over the boot. This has done the metal some good but seems to have dissolved a lot of the wiring (or at least its adhesive tape binding!)

My cylinders are shot and the hoses missing - so I am considering just using it as a manual hood. If I do that -  can I just remove the relays and wiring???

Any help and/or suggestions gratefully received!

Back to the top
send chortle a pm, he is the expert.
The wiring diagrams for the good are in the back of the Bentley.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Apologies for not responding sooner!

Many Thanks - something for a sleepless night!

Cheers

Peter
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.