Skip navigation

Series 1 Fuse Board - ABF Conversion

Back to the top

Series 1 Fuse Board - ABF Conversion

What do folk think would be the appropriate course of action regarding the fuse board/wiring for a 16v conversion. I have a series 2 GTI with the ceramic bullet type fuses. Would I need or be better off having the later Mk1 fuse board installed, use a mk3 loom & fuse board or continue with what I have?
All thoughts are gratefully appreciated!

Back to the top
Quicker getting the later type fusebox. Use the lighting loom, Fan wiring and a few other parts from the mk1 loom. Then use only the engine specific  part of the mk3 loom. There is plenty of threads on here for doing this. Ive just done it myself. My advice is pay someone of here to spice your loom together. not worth the hassle of doing yourself, unless your good with electrics. Give you time to do all the other stuff without the headache of wiring.

Back to the top
you can make it work but i strongly recommend you bin it and change the whole car loom for the later blade type fusebox, then splice the mk3 engine loom to it.

the alternative is splice all the old ceramic fusebox wiring to the mk3 fusebox, using wires from the mk3 to repair any crispy bits on the mk1 loom. but note the engine loom will still need modification because the fusebox sits on the opposite side of the car.

you could relocate the fusebox to the driver side, then drill new holes in the bulkhead. then the mk3 loom will fit much better, you#'ll just have to splice mk1 plug ends on to suit the mk1 clocks, lights etc.

but easiest solution is get a complete mk1 later fusebox loom, tintop will be direct fit, cabrio is close but it has different light plugs and no rear wiper. you could splice the old ends on to suit, just match wire colours. if you dont want rear wiper/washer then that can be left out. dash and lighting loom is same tintop and cab, any later mk1 engine loom will do you just need the bare minimum from it for use in the conversion, wiper loom some sensor wires etc, then you splice this to the abf loom once stripped down.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks to both for your replies, looks like the better option is a series 2 fusebox then!

Back to the top
the old fusebox isn't even up to running mk1 k-jet injection, the fuel pump pin burns out eventually! non of the plugs have retaining clips so they can just fall out. next to no feeds on it for anything either, ruuuuubbiiissshhhhh

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.