Skip navigation

16v engine refitting

Back to the top

16v engine refitting

ive got a 16v installed and been trying to get it driving a bit more smoothly. its very difficult to drive slowly and seems to judder when pulling away, i thought it might be the engine mounts so had a look in the haynes today. according to the diagram the gearbox mount bracket should be central to the mount on the body. On my car both the gearbox and engine mount are more towards the front of the car.

i tried to slacken all the mounts and move it back but the rear gearbox mount is as far back as it will go and it looks like if i could move it back the front mount will come out of the cup thing.

not quite sure how this is possible unless its been in a heavy front impact and repaired badly but all looks straight

Back to the top
the mounts cannot move in the body brackets as they have a solid steel core where the bolt goes thru, the fact its shifted could just be down to age, wear or pattern mounts or something. if it had a heavy front end impact hard enough to move the mounts you would see obvious evidence of this on the legs so dont worry about it.

what mounts are you using, oem or poly?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
There are too many online users to list.