Skip navigation

arrived at my work today - citi golf

Back to the top

arrived at my work today - citi golf

this finally arrived today , fresh off the import boat for my bosses son.
pretty sweet first car you think???

2006 citi golf, 55k kms from new and NO RUST!! …  :lol:
has some cool features, non quarter glass front windows, skoda fabia (i think) dash, new style clocks, rear wiper in the glass, 1.6 multi point injection, no side trims, cool looking and feeling steering wheel, colour coded bumpers,clear indicators, lupo gti wheels… but still a mk1.  :D

i'd cruise around in it any day.. even with the horrid rear lights.. (the only bad point????)

new car reliability and old skool coool.. winner for me…

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Shame he'll have to wait until 2016 to register it for the UK!!!!!

Back to the top
i don't believe so..

why?

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
For many reasons, basically because the car will need to pass an IVA and it cannot meet any of the exemptions to qualify for BIVA or not need the test at all. More info here:

http://www.direct.gov.…ortingAVehicle/DG_4022583

As part of the registration process DVLA must be sure that an imported used vehicle, that's less than ten years old meets the required standards.

They are:

European type approval standards
UK construction and use
road vehicle lighting legislation.

Cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles first registered in a country outside of the European Union must pass the IVA.

Back to the top
ahaha gutted.

Back to the top
Paul, I'm pretty sure that there is an exemption on personal imports and also vehicles already registered in EU.

Back to the top

oldspice said

Paul, I'm pretty sure that there is an exemption on personal imports and also vehicles already registered in EU.

There is an exemption on personal imports - does richievr's boss qualify?

a) the vehicle has been imported by 'A' upon entry into the United Kingdom,
(b) 'A' had, prior to the time the vehicle was imported, been normally resident in a country other than the United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months,
© 'A' intends to become normally resident in the United Kingdom,
(d) the vehicle has been in the possession of and used by 'A' in the country where 'A' was normally resident for a period of at least 6 months before its importation, and
(e) the vehicle is intended for 'A's' personal or household use in the United Kingdom

The Mutual Recognition scheme is intended for European specification vehicles being imported into the United Kingdom from within Europe.

Don't think the Citigolf will qualify since its not european specification.

AFAIK the only way to register a Citigolf is if its >10 years old.

Back to the top
I could be wrong but that looks too have Dutch plates on - there are a faiir few of these in Holland - lot of Cloggies in SA - si if this has already been registered in NL then you have no problem as it would come under EU direct import legislation  :wink:

Couls be a way to get newer Citis in for cheap thinking about it!!

Back to the top

oldspice said

if this has already been registered in NL then you have no problem as it would come under EU direct import legislation  :wink:

Don't think so, see above.

Back to the top
this car has been to vosa in december i think it was,the guy if its you couldnt get it registered,i offered to buy it but he never got back to me,its on another forum here

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=125543.0

you the same guy?
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
it's not me but is the same car.

it is going for an sva test soon, we have the mph speedo on order, the proper uk fog lamp to wire in, rhd headlights to fit and a couple other jobs to do.

reading through that post on the golfgti forum, i didn't realise they had had it that long, just arrived at my place today. must have been at their house or something…   will try to find out more on the registering side and will keep you posted..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
They stopped doing SVA tests in April last year, it will be IVA now. I'd be interested to know its progress through the test. I've read that they need to cut the car into little bits to inspect the seat belt and steering mounts, and crash it to check the frontal and side impact performance, then run it through a rolling road simulated drive and collect all the exhaust gases in a bag and weigh them (amongst other things). Basically you submit 3 cars and 2 get destroyed in the process. But then you can create and sell (since it has a commercial value) a "model report" showing that a (for example here) CitiGolf meets the requirements for IVA.

Back to the top

paul_c said

For many reasons, basically because the car will need to pass an IVA and it cannot meet any of the exemptions to qualify for BIVA or not need the test at all. More info here:

http://www.direct.gov.…ortingAVehicle/DG_4022583

As part of the registration process DVLA must be sure that an imported used vehicle, that's less than ten years old meets the required standards.

They are:

European type approval standards
UK construction and use
road vehicle lighting legislation.

Cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles first registered in a country outside of the European Union must pass the IVA.

interesting…

looking through that site it will need an IVA not an SVA as, as you say, it is less than 10 years old.
in which case it will not pass european type approval standards.. but there is a section which mentions comparable standards.

* 'Comparable standards' means evidence of compliance with standards from a non-European Union country that are considered comparable to the European Community (EC) directive requirements. This inspection method is only applicable to cars and light goods vehicles. Heavy-goods vehicles, larger passenger vehicles and trailers are required to demonstrate EC Directive compliance by one of the alternative methods listed.

the guy who bought it has previously imported a mustang and a spltty van from the states so has some experience with this sort of thing, but of course, those were both built in the 60's so a bit different..
hopefully all will be well in the end, i guess they have been finding out what to do over the last few months (as the post on golfgti forum was in 2009) so i will keep you posted on what happens..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top

paul_c said

I've read that they need to cut the car into little bits to inspect the seat belt and steering mounts, and crash it to check the frontal and side impact performance, .

8O  8O  8O  8O

i hope not!!!!!  :cry:

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
AFAIK the comparable standards are restricted to American, Canadian and Japanese ones, NOT South African.

Basically its a bit of a beaurocratic nightmare. But, if your car is good, its just a paper exercise to tie up all the relevant bits together and get it registered, if the car doesn't meet the required standards etc then basically its not going to happen unless you can fund it through the tests etc (£20k + 3 cars I think it is…), which is what some personal import companies have done, eg with Subaru Imprezas, banking that the payback will be exclusivity and being able to import desirable/expensive cars to the UK for an assured market. Maybe some entrepreneur will do this for a Citigolf one day?

Back to the top
i looked into importing a limited run off model,1 of 1000 last to be built citigolfs,i tried quite a few companies with no joy,i was told it had to be owned by me in africa for 6 months before it came here,then they said i would never get it registered here until it reaches 10 years old,so i tried harder and found more red tape,so i cancelled the order and gave up,brought a stress ball instead  :lol:
Couldnt give my money away  :|
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
bu99er!!

i hope it will be ok , would be a shame to park it up for 6 years..  :cry:

as i say, i will keep you all posted.. IF there is a way it will get done..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
get the dude to sell me one of the dashes out fo the 2 other ones they smash up

Id be loving that.

Back to the top
:? its smart , when did they bring the 10 year thing in? what about registering it as a "kit car" on a "q" plate?? if its a 1 off i cant see why not.

Back to the top
This car was has been in this country for a while now. http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ic&t=67608&highlight=citi

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.