Skip navigation

I need a definitive list of stuff ??

Back to the top

I need a definitive list of stuff ??

i'm getting to breaking point now as a simple (not my words) "that'll bolt straight in" transplant has just turned into a head scratching mastermind money pit and i need it to stop LOL

the KR engine does indeed bolt it with the same bolts of the older 8v  that came out, but lets face it, thats where it stops.

1) I've sourced a 4-1 manifold that runs close to the steering gator so i need to protect that but also need to find a center section and back box for it that have a 50mm ID - any ideas or should i just roll a cone shaped reducer and weld it in ?

2) I've made the k-jet fit under the bonnet by chopping the airbox down rendering it useless, i may fold a new box up in ally that sits over the chassis leg but i cannot feed it with fuel as i cannot connect the fuel lines - any ideas ?

3) I've lowered the car off the axle stands and the weight of the engine has dumped the car right down onto the bump stops upfront, what coils will lift it back up again, mk2 perhaps?  do they even fit ?

4) do i need to replace the old fuel tank with a GTi one or can i just put the lifter pump in the one i have or do i need to get a new pickup/filter with a lifter included ? if so where from  ?

5) i've sourced a fuel accumulator and bracket but i need an external pump, anyone have a part number of one that is suitable ?

hopefully this list will help others thinking of doing the same as these items alone make it not just a 'bolt in job'  :banghead:

Back to the top
Gti fuel pump - gsf or crazy quiff £60 - 80 off top of my head i got mine from gsf  and it was around 76 quid for gti budget one

Gti lift pump and sender - £20 - £40 2nd hand just post up in parts wanted or ask people breaking a car

take it your car is on carbs then or small block. I have cheap Jom coils on mine with 2ltr in it and its fine.

Also ask this question in modified section you will get more help there

It dunt fit

Back to the top
Gti fuel pump - gsf or crazy quiff £60 - 80 off top of my head i got mine from gsf  and it was around 76 quid for gti budget one

Gti lift pump and sender - £20 - £40 2nd hand just post up in parts wanted or ask people breaking a car

take it your car is on carbs then or small block. I have cheap Jom coils on mine with 2ltr in it and its fine.

Also ask this question in modified section you will get more help there

It dunt fit

Back to the top
i put a 4 2 1 manifold on mine and after melting several steering rack boots i took it back off and used the standard mk2 manifold and mated the downpipe to the mk1 exhaust, you might loose a few bhp but atleast your not going to set your car on fire …

don't know how you have managed to render the airbox useless ?? aslong as the filter is in there it will still do the job, unless the one you have is a post 90 airbox, as you need a pre 90 that isn't as wide and just trim the bottom …

Back to the top
not sure what year the airbox is, i know its the larger one, and its rendered useless as its no longer a 'box' it just holds the filter to the intake in the engine bay LOL

thanks for the pump advice i'll order some now.

Back to the top
the weight difference between a 8v and a 16v is next to nothing? you must have some other issues!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Joy  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
I don't think you'll get a definitive list of parts in this thread. There is a 16V conversion guide, which has been around for ages. Nobody made any effort to send feedback about it to the author - so its either good enough already; or people are too apathetic to suggest improvements.

I've answered literally hundreds of threads on 16V conversions, and one day I wrote a bunch of articles which were an attempt to create a second version of the FAQ. This included a comprehensive list of the parts required. I'm sure I copied and pasted the list to this forum, and pointed to the link, many times. Nothings been deleted off the forum, so its all still there….just a case of opening your eyes and searching for it, reading up on it, etc etc

If you want an easier to follow, handholding guide, then someone's going to have to write one out.

Back to the top
You could make an airbox of ally providing you have a cut out the shape of metering head on the top for the air flap etc, mark around the gasket and all is fine. And that you have an inlet, say. 2" pipe aimed to front panel at an angle with a standard coke filter on, checkout chipsters build, he had one made!

And as matts said use 2branch unless going for power, its cheaper and safer. Although my thread resolving the issue is there to copy at leasure and works fine.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
yeah i saw your thread, i was told to get a 4 branch so after sourcing one and paying for it im going to use it !

I'm not looking for hand holding, there are people on here who have been great at answering my questions and providing parts, i just got frustrated at being told it will bolt in as i was naive to all this ! I like to ask questions to reassure i'm doing the right thing (I do search for answers first but getting the exact phrase that someone else may have used is not always possible !)

Back to the top
Only problem I can see not bolt in is the exhaust, simple solution would've been Ashley system as they do a conversion mani themselves.

The airbox is easy and simple, can even use mk1 airbox if you balls mk2 one up.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
i think the issues came when i bought the KR engine, it had been removed by someone else and it appears that not all the parts are there, the prime example being the banjo bolts that fit the k-jet, yet nobody seems to have one, i'm just going to my local hydraulics supplies and take the unit with me and ask for a bolt and banjo connector that will fit it, then make up a rubber hose from that fitting to the fuel line.
The 4-1 i believe is an ashley, might not be its not branded, but i got the extension pipe with it but need to find a center section thats the same size as it, thats proving hard.

Back to the top
1. thats the trouble with 4 branches, they often dont fit nice. i had custom made downpipe to fit oem 16v manifold, was a bit gash looking but it worked

2. use pre-90 16v airbox, cut bottom down. use 90spec 16v upper boot or stretch your old 8v boot over. my cabby ran all year like this just fine, see my build thread. for fuel lines fit mk1 filter carrier to front of airbox, use all mk1 feed and return lines to it. then either bend mk1 main lines to driver side, or make your own, or buy crazyquiff mk1 16v lines

3. std mk1 gti spec stuff, just wind the coilies up slightly. the engien isnt THAT much heavier than mk1 k-jet lump

4. 2 choices, either fit mk1 gti tank and L pipe to main pump, or fit late cab/rocc or g40 polo lift pump and fuel reservoir to your carby tank

3. anythign that is mk1 type and injection, also lots of other manufactueres use inline pump on their k-jet cars, merc, porche, ford, audi etc.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
There are too many online users to list.