Skip navigation

Help please

Back to the top

Help please

Ok two questions

1) My temp gauge is going hight and red light coming on but the cars not over heating and fan kicks in at resanoble time on stand still, its a 16v top fill rad.

2) My window wipers work only when the stalks in the off postion but when its in the on posstion 1,2 and 3 the battery light comes on and no window wipes????

1.8t Agu this is on

Cheers

Back to the top
1, what sensor and wires are you using?

2, wires and earth checked?

Back to the top

JonP said

1, what sensor and wires are you using?

2, wires and earth checked?

mk4 golf sensor i believe

spent all day on it wire checking nothing has changed since it was last working we have lost the throttle body and now the live feed to the fuel pump wipers working ok now i suspect the fuse box is on its way out to many loses and again without and changes on the loom ect

Back to the top
got to use a mk1 sensor in the rad, otherwise i think there is a mod with a resistor to get the temp to sit right.

Back to the top

JonP said

got to use a mk1 sensor in the rad, otherwise i think there is a mod with a resistor to get the temp to sit right.

The rad has the orig sensor in it but the pipe work has the mk4 one in it i believe something i need to double check

Back to the top
1. if its an early agu with the large square temp sensor plug i believe the mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 8v sensor is the right rating for the ecu, if so this will work your mk1 dsh gauge perfectly :)

if its the later agu then you can cut the plug off and splice the mk3 one on

2. check the main fusebox earth, on the D plug theres a brown wire coming in from the engine loom thats the wiper earth, and theres a second brown wire hanging off the back of the pin thats the main fusebox earth. it should plug into the white 4 way jumper block on the main lighting loom earth

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

1. if its an early agu with the large square temp sensor plug i believe the mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 8v sensor is the right rating for the ecu, if so this will work your mk1 dsh gauge perfectly :)

if its the later agu then you can cut the plug off and splice the mk3 one on

2. check the main fusebox earth, on the D plug theres a brown wire coming in from the engine loom thats the wiper earth, and theres a second brown wire hanging off the back of the pin thats the main fusebox earth. it should plug into the white 4 way jumper block on the main lighting loom earth

Is it the 2 pin or 4 pin temp sensor???

sorted the wipers but got bigger problem now as the throttle body wasn't working i decide to take the cover of the ecu and there are bit pop on the bored :(

Back to the top
4 pin one in the side flange :)
if you have 2 sensor flanges then even better, just add a mk2 golf black 2 pin sensor and run your dash temp to that instead

Back to the top

rubjonny said

4 pin one in the side flange :)
if you have 2 sensor flanges then even better, just add a mk2 golf black 2 pin sensor and run your dash temp to that instead

ok cheers rj  :wink:

Back to the top
Right been looking for the right temp sensor as i have a 4 pin but i keep getting told there i a few here is the one i keep getting told is the right one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320839851820?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_740wt_1037

But there is one with a blue band not yellow any tell me if this will work jr :)

Back to the top
thats the one you want, it looks like a genuine vw too with the part number on the brass bit :)

the 2 part numbers in the ebay link are for the mk3 temp sender, so use both of those when cross referencing. the 357xxx number is the original part number, 6u0xxx is the superceeded part number :)

Back to the top
Right got that part today but there is no numbers for the pins how do i know where the wires go to which pin ???

Back to the top
the pin numbers are on the plug :)

Back to the top
The mk4 plug dont fit so i chopped it but the mk3 sensor has no numbers so how do you wire it up?

Back to the top
yes you need the mk3 plug as well, then it has the numbers ;)

Back to the top
do you have a picture of one by any chance. do the wire colours match up then. i have put little spade connectors on the end and push them on to the pins just need to know where they go and match them up lol

Back to the top
the wire colours arnt quite the same no, but the pin numbers are the same mk3/4 if you still have the old plug ;)

boom for your temporary bodge:
BOSCH Coolant Temp Sensor Data -Comprehensive CTS (ECU/Gauge and pinouts) - ABA, Corrado, 1.8T s | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Back to the top

rubjonny said

the wire colours arnt quite the same no, but the pin numbers are the same mk3/4 if you still have the old plug ;)

boom for your temporary bodge:
BOSCH Coolant Temp Sensor Data -Comprehensive CTS (ECU/Gauge and pinouts) - ABA, Corrado, 1.8T s | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

perfect thank you rj

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.