Skip navigation

1.8t tuning

Back to the top

1.8t tuning

Evening all, I have a 1.8 20v turbo from a 2001 Seat Ibiza cupra (ayp code). I intend on fitting it into my mk1  but i'd like to squeeze some extra power from it before I fit it. Apparantly its 150 bhp as it is and to be frank I want more! Can anybody recommend what I could do to it? Ive thought of k04 and k03s conversions but not sure of the extent of the work required and what other additional stuff I need to upgrade such as bigger injectors etc. Id like to achieve 260 hp+ but also maintain reliability.

The engine has only covered 32,000 miles.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Kris

Back to the top
if it was me you have to options.

1st option

ko3 hybrid(send your ko3 to be hybrid). you would need

ko3 hybrid
saab red top injectors
silicon tip
stock manifold ported
and rods

that will see you just over 260bhp with great torque

2nd option

ko4-023 turbo found on audi s3 and audi tt

basicaly you need

ko4 manifold
ko4 turbo
all 4 oil/water lines
injectors

theres are full ko4 kits on ebay now for about 500-700 quid

that would see you about over 260bhp

me personaly go for the ko3 hybrid you keep all oil/water lines you have same manifold which flows better that ko4 manifold.

or go mental like me and hybrid a ko4 turbo that see in the 320/300

Back to the top
Or you could get a relentless manifold for the K04 setup witch will have a better flow also if your going for that sort of power i'd think of a quaife so you can put the power down.

Back to the top
Thanks for your replies. Where would I find saab red top injectors? What are your thoughts on the IHI turbo conversion? If I upgrade to ko3s hybrid or k04 what map/ecu do I use?

I'm currently running a corrado 1.8 16v in my car and have my ayp engine on a bench so is perfect for working on as I have good access to work on it. I can take my time building the turbo engine because im happy with the kr for now as its much fun. Id like to build a mean turbo engine, thats reliable and healthy with good power. I have the original 5 speed gearbox that came out of the cupra, it has hydraulic clutch and cable gear select so not sure if I can use that and fit a lsd. Not sure on my options really. I wouldnt mind a 6 speed if there is one suitable for my car

Back to the top
saab injectors come on ebay i think theres some on there now. i looked into all the ihi and garret turbos . to much power in a fwd mk1 so wasnt worth it for me. and cost just builds up. a proper set up k03hybrid/ko4 will make a very quick mk1 golf. ive got my running wasted spark on megasquirt ecu , to be mapped by toyotec when cars on road.

Back to the top
Thanks. How is your fuel system set up?

Back to the top
standard new bosch fuel pump. but as im going to be using 550 injectors and i have to look into this aswell

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.