Skip navigation

1983 Standard GTI Concours 42000miles

Back to the top

Yomp said

Look what I found under 25 years of crud!

Before…….

After…….

Took a few hours and it certainly wouldn't win any prizes but its more inkeeping with its mileage now.

how did you clean that? the difference is brilliant

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
i notice a little clip bolted on to the front of your rocker cover to hold the cabling in place what type is it, keeps things neat,

Back to the top
Couple more hours today fitting the axle and filler neck. Need to wipe the finger marks and accumulated dust off it all now :redfaced:

Back to the top

ivortheengine said

i notice a little clip bolted on to the front of your rocker cover to hold the cabling in place what type is it, keeps things neat,

Don't know the part number but it is an original clip in steel.
This was the 1st Golf of 8 I've ever owned to still have it in place! I run the clutch cable through it but I have seen folk run the speedo cable through it.

Back to the top
Where did you get you fuel hoses from?

I have a mate pricing them up for me but if there off the shelf it might be cheaper

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

Where did you get you fuel hoses from?

I have a mate pricing them up for me but if there off the shelf it might be cheaper

I bought them off Crazyquiff at a show in 2008 as a panic buy as I was worried about mine but then couldn't be done with the hassle of fitting them!

The german trip is the reason I needed to change them and look what it turned into……. a full on resto! :roll: which is also why I had put it off for so long!

It was a struggle to split the original lines without damaging or shearing the solid fuel line to the engine. I ended up removing the fuel tank, blowing out the lines to remove any fuel and anything else that could ignite in the vicinity and heating the pipe fittings so they glowed cherry red to get the threads to move.

I've since found a hydraulic shop who can do them as well who have made a load of fuel pipes for me for my land rover megasquirt project.

Back to the top
Ah i see, my mate makes all my hydraulic pipes for my machines and can do fuel pipes etc, ill get a cost from him and look at CQ

Back to the top
Since owning the car there's always been a small vibration from the engine that was felt up through the steering column, just around cruising speed at about 3500rpm.

Not bad but it made the keys on the key ring hum in the ignition barrel but I'm terrible when it comes to unwanted rattles in cars and it don't half wind me up.

I've been uming and arring about getting the engine properly balanced while its out to try and eliminate this unwanted vibration and have made contact with a company close to me that balance the Force India F1 engines. Cost is around £300 to do all the moving internals.

However I noticed this today and wonder if this has been my problem all along…….

I'm about to strip the engine to clean it up anyway and this will involve stripping out the pistons and crank etc so it'll seem the right thing to do to get it balanced but I wonder how bad they are from the factory or will it be a waste of 300 notes?

Do I still go ahead with the balancing and or just risk changing the duff mount?

Decisions Decisions….. :dontknow:

Back to the top
Baking the VHT Header paint!

Don't tell the Mrs!

Back to the top
Stripped the block out today and found this big lump of aluminium swarf sat in no. 3 main oil gallery when i lifted the crank! The engine's never been apart before so it must have been there from new. It must have been in the oil filter housing when the unit was assembled as it was far too big to have be drawn through the oil strainer.

Steaming cleaning the block prior to bead blasting and painting..

Bead blasted block re steam cleaned.

Honed and painted

Never noticed the little "VW" stamps on either side of the engine number before.

While baking the block paint thought I'd screw the exhaust manifoild back together..

Back to the top
Sorted out the bits to go to the engine balancers today..

Out of curiosity I weighed the rods and pistons and there was an overall difference of 8 grams between the lightest and heaviest combinations. By mixing the rods and pistons up I could reduce it to a 4 grams difference. Pucker race engines are within 0.5 grams. I'll see what the balancers say is respectable.

Back to the top
Some great work going on there in Banbury. Complete underside referb. and now engine rebuild - all before the German trip too. Impressive stuff Graham.

Back to the top

watson said

Some great work going on there in Banbury. Complete underside referb. and now engine rebuild - all before the German trip too. Impressive stuff Graham.

Cheers. I'm hoping to have it ready for the AGM!  :?
Who bought the date of that forward :roll: ? :wink:

Back to the top
Head skimmed, valves lapped, new seals and some mild porting so the inlet manifold ports matched the head ports. There was about 3mm difference between the manifold and the top of the inlet ports. Should help mid range power slightly.

Back to the top
Impressive work being done here. Can't wait for Germany/Wolfsburg trip… mk1's all going home  :wink:

Keep the updates coming  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Cracking work, all i have managed to do on my TT engine is move round the workshop!! lol

Must start stripping it soon.

Back to the top
Got the crank and bits back from the balancers today.

He said he was surprised how bad it was considering its German.
I said at least it was worth doing then!

Below is the certificate he issues. The final tolerances are within F1 spec   8O  :D

I got him to take some photos as he did it and will post those up when he sends them to me.

The weights are shown in grams. mm which basically translates to - if you are 10 grams out 100mm away from the centre of the crank then its 10x100 = 1,000g.mm.

Once balanced, he told me, the crank will only move 0.09 of a micron once spinning above 450 rpm.

Back to the top
The car looks great and that is interesting about getting everything re-balanced. I noticed you had some nice photos of your fuel pump and the fuel lines. Could you take some more photo's of it all in position and the pipes going to the fuel tank so i can see how I have got to put mine back together as it was a complete bodge when i took it off.
cheers keep up the good work

Back to the top
I'll take some more for you Bloomers.

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.