Skip navigation

My new golf - up and running! woo hoo!

Back to the top

My new golf - up and running! woo hoo!

well, finally got the new golf last week, had a blast driving it back from Leicester! its so much quicker than my old 1.1, and i fancy its quicker off the mark than my audi, which is pretty quick to. well happy with it. a few bits of rust here and there but no where near as bad as my old golf and that was in pretty good nick!

the worst panel is the rear panel (filler both sides where it meets the rear quarter panels) so i'll be investigating further when i can. got a bit of a coolant problem to, but i'm going to be replacing the entire cooling system, as its been upgraded to a 1.8 and still has a 1.5 rad, so thats going.

other than very happy with it, i got a chrome grille off my lovley little girl for fathers day so that'll be going on when i've got a few more chrome goodies for it. all in all, just gonna do some light resto work on the body, smarten up the engine bay, and possibly looking in to weber twin 40's and a  4-2-1 manifold with a decent drop (it is gonna be an weekend car this one) eventually, its good to mk1 motoring again!  Tom :wink:

1991 Diamond silver 1800 16v Corrado 'Betty'

Gone, but not forgotten;

1985 Lemon yellow Polo coupe S

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1983 Diamond silver Golf GX

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
8O  nice looking car
what are your plans for it

Back to the top
looks nice

mk1 golf gti in porsche ocen blue and polished porsche 7slots

Back to the top

Back to the top
cheers mate, a little light paint and body resto, general tidy up. its suprising how tidy it is, interior looks like it just rolled out of the factory! the arches are really solid where they usually go, a bit of surface rust, but nowt a weekend here and there won't sort.
the only issue is with mechanics, it has;nt got any service history, so i don't know where its upto, basically just gonna do everything mechanics wise, just sold some bits on ebay so they'll be funding a full service and getting the cooling problem sorted. a few weeks i reckon and it should be sorted!  :D
cheers foxy, did'nt think you came on here much any more mate? how was greece, was it greasy?  :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
A R S E, the head gaskets gone  :cry:  got a second opinion on the cooling problem, and the heads gone, getting sorted in a few weeks, so hoping that the head does'nt have a crack in it! oh well, gonna busy myself with a body work bits and order the parts, bugger!   :(

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top

Back to the top
8O  think it you, ya anarchist! :lol:  lemme know when your next up at the cave! not seen you in ages. saw Gaz the other day, he bought my side strips off the old red one. speak to you soon mate  :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top

Back to the top
got my new wheels today, bit of a mix up with delivery, received 4 bags of compost! but they arrived today, so alls well,

Not got them on the car yet, can't see the point with only half an engine! sorry for the rubbish pics, took them on my phone, and no comments bout them being wonky!!!

Tom  :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
was gunna say, the first pic looks like the car weighs more than egypt

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
:lol:  if anything its lost weight - no cylinder head!(well its in the boot)

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
Looking good mate, cant wait to see those wheels on it  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Silver 5dr's rock, everyone should have one

Back to the top

holeinmk1 said

need to sort ya camber out mate ;) :lol:

i love retro wheels.. and i think those will suit your silver quite well :y:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
If u put some sweet streched tyres on them and slammed your car that would look amazing!! Those wheels look like the old BMW m1 wheels except the slots go the other way! Very retrostyly! loving it!!!

Back to the top
well, they're very much marmite wheels, thats become very apparent over the last few days. some people absolutely love them, some people think i'm crazy to get rid of the bbs!:lol:  plus getting engine sorted out soon now, more on that another time though.  :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
how much 4 the bbs's mate? fancy em 4 my 5 dr maybe ;)

Back to the top
The bbs are'nt for sale, by getting rid of them i meant taking them off the car, sorry for misttake, they're gonna become my winter wheels me thinks. have a look on ebay, there's always sets of these for sale on there
Tom  :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
ok pal thanks anyway. nice to see another nice 5 dr! mine going through a full rebuild at the mo , started it on monday. check out my retford notts project thread in cars and projects if u like ;)

Back to the top
Been busy sorting car out for vwnw 08, but my engine change has fallen on the same day so unfortunately i'm not going now, i've fitted new chrome rimmed bumpers and fitted the proper side strips(although i need 1 strip for the rear door on drivers side) and fitted the new wheels on the car to, just been re-chroming the car really
New engine will be arriving next saturday, hopefully should be in the car and running on sunday. will put some pics soon, watch this space! Tom :wink:

Gone, but not forgotten;

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1981 Mars red Golf GTI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.