Skip navigation

O20 Gearbox on 20VT Block

Back to the top

O20 Gearbox on 20VT Block

Hi Guys,

Think this is more a question for ben, basically last night I changed the flywheel and clutch assembly on my 20vt block to my 020 8v! When I fitted the O2O Gearbox to the block the two large top bolts and starter bolts line up but none of the others at the bottom, also there is a small gap between the box and engine, Is this correct and will it be okay??

Cheers

Back to the top

Re: O20 Gearbox on 20VT Block

Vman said

Hi Guys,

Think this is more a question for ben, basically last night I changed the flywheel and clutch assembly on my 20vt block to my 020 8v! When I fitted the O2O Gearbox to the block the two large top bolts and starter bolts line up but none of the others at the bottom, also there is a small gap between the box and engine, Is this correct and will it be okay??

Cheers

there should be 2 bolts for the top of the bellhousing 1 at the back by driveshaft bolting from blockside
2 on the front where the starter goes through the holes on the bottom were for the original 8v tin plate but iirc this doesnt fit

there shouldnt be a gap between the block and gearobx at the top or sides the bottom will be missing the tin plate so it may look like a gap

any pics :dontknow:

Back to the top
Yeh ben the gap is at the bottom and also the diff looks like its going to be really tight against the bottom end against a white heatshield which is slightly concerning me if you know wat i mean?

Ive got some old pics how can I upload them?

Back to the top
use photo bucket for pics

the white shield does it cover the driveshaft if so i took mine of i think

Back to the top

bens_cab said

use photo bucket for pics

the white shield does it cover the driveshaft if so i took mine of i think
i took mine off (its extra weight, get rid of it!!)

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top

Pics

Hey Guys,

Below is a few random pics I took a while back,
Photo Storage | Photobucket

I need to get a driver side mount and also uprated gearbox mounts next (for 020 gearbox) anyone got any ideas were the best place is to get the 3 gearbox mounts? Also whats everyones views on the braking side of things ie servo, m/c, pads, discs etc…

Cheers

Back to the top
all i used was a poly mount insert for the g/box mount and a poly front mount, they came in a kit i bought off ebay, i didnt bother using the rear mount as it was really stiff and the driver side insert i couldnt get in the new bush anyway!! my engine sits nice and tight in its mounts and doesnt rock abouit at all. braking wise, upgrade to a mk2 16v servo and master cylinder and mabye the vauxhall front brake set up, ive got a TSR big brke kit on the front of mine that is a good kit. i think ben_cab is running standard brakes all round and he finds them good.

View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Please tell me you aren't seriously considering unleasing 20v Turbo power through an 020 'box?!

They aren't up to the job, simple as that.  Even a G60 unit on these 'boxes is pushing it.

It'll work, for about 15k miles, then you'll have diff pins and bits of bellhousing all over your legs.

Don't do it.

Use an 02J.  You'll have to fabricate a gearlinkage, sort out speedo drive, create engine mounts and get creative with the driveshafts (I suspect late Cabby might by your first port of call) but lets face it, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Back to the top
Steve do you have a 20vT or are you just going on anecdotal evidence?

Back to the top
Awrite Guys,

Thanks for your replys, the main problem that has always held me back from doin this years ago is ??$$, Thats another reason ive decided to stick with the o2o at this point, although Ideally I would go with the o2a for obv reasons. Only time will tell!!  :lol:

Hey Jamie, did you not use the rear mount at all my friend and weres the best place to get the insert for the d/s mount??  :dontknow:

Also, does anyone know any other brake conversions that can be done and your views if posss.?.?.  :D  personally I want just bigger discs and calipers the now but in the ideal world i would hav to upgrade the servo etc and get brembo or the 944 calipers etc :)

Back to the top

paul_c said

I think it's pretty well known in what Mk1's I've got and had.  I've built a Mk2 20vT and recently done a clutch on a Mk4 GTI Turbo.  I don't see the relevence though?

I've personally ruined 020 'boxes presenting them with little more than 155bhp.

I had to say I'm with Tim Stiles on this one, don't use an 020 for more than 170ish bhp, you'll wreck it.

If an 020 'box is an 020 'box, what does it matter if it's a 16v, G60, 20vT or whatever bolted to it?

I thought this was a discussion about gearboxes, not what car you drive?!

Back to the top

Vman said

Awrite Guys,

Thanks for your replys, the main problem that has always held me back from doin this years ago is ??$$, Thats another reason ive decided to stick with the o2o at this point, although Ideally I would go with the o2a for obv reasons. Only time will tell!!  :lol:

Hey Jamie, did you not use the rear mount at all my friend and weres the best place to get the insert for the d/s mount??  :dontknow:

Also, does anyone know any other brake conversions that can be done and your views if posss.?.?.  :D  personally I want just bigger discs and calipers the now but in the ideal world i would hav to upgrade the servo etc and get brembo or the 944 calipers etc :)

If funds are low, don't do the conversion.  You are talking about creating a car with what, 200, 250bhp per tonne and you are trying to do it on the cheap?!

I've spent serious coin over the years on my Mk1's and funded by simply economising in other areas.

Brakes wise, I'd be looking at the big brembo 4-pots of a Fiat coupe.  I believe you can create afull setup using thses calipers, custom carriers, Alfa/Lancia 305mm discs (as the PCD is 4x98 so they are near as damnit when it comes to getting the wheels on.  Bear in mind you'll have to go to big wheels to get these brakes under them.

If you want to talk about personal experiances regarding fitting stupid engines and not spending enough on the brakes, ask me about the time my mate fitted a Cav engine in his Nova SR but left the standard brakes on and I ended up driving the thing into a beer garden! lol

Back to the top
Hey steve,

The only thing the moneys going to slow down is the timscales, apart from that everything will be done to a high standard but just going to take a while!!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

Please tell me you aren't seriously considering unleasing 20v Turbo power through an 020 'box?!

They aren't up to the job, simple as that.  Even a G60 unit on these 'boxes is pushing it.

It'll work, for about 15k miles, then you'll have diff pins and bits of bellhousing all over your legs.

Don't do it.

Use an 02J.  You'll have to fabricate a gearlinkage, sort out speedo drive, create engine mounts and get creative with the driveshafts (I suspect late Cabby might by your first port of call) but lets face it, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right.

theres nothing wrong with the 020 box, bens_cab has been using one for ages now and had no problems.

Back to the top
Yip, Thats true and Ive also spoke to a few others that claim that it is fine aswell I have the 150 block and will be running the qpeng dta system and when is comes to driving I hardly consider my self as a law abiding citizen  :banghead:  so we will just have to wait and see and also learn from how the o2o reacts!!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

paul_c said

I think it's pretty well known in what Mk1's I've got and had.  I've built a Mk2 20vT and recently done a clutch on a Mk4 GTI Turbo.  I don't see the relevence though?
…………

I thought this was a discussion about gearboxes, not what car you drive?!

Just trying to separate myth from fact.

Back to the top
ill let you know if mine goes bang but 30k on the 020 so far with well over 170bhp think alot of its to do with the condition of the box to start with mine was pretty good

Back to the top
My Mk1 G60 is running an 020 box without any problems, ok so I am only 5K miles  down the line, but I went with Midland VW advise that it will handle the 190 BHP that it is putting out. I did have the gearbox fully rebuilt and anything showing any wear replaced.

I guess a lot depends on how you drive it, for me I enjoy the good mix that the engine and gearbox combination gives me, but I do not thrash the living daylights out of it all the time, no doubt it would not last very long if I did that, but I am sure nothing would last long if it was thrashed every time it was taken out !!

Oh the only exception was on the sprint at Inters on Saturday !!
I thrashed the nuts off it and got shite sprint times, once I got her into 3rd gear we were away, but a combination of the rain and my heavy right foot made for some interesting sprint technique - I really will have to improve this - great fun trying though !!

I got on the line a couple of times against a blue Mk1 driven by a chap from the Maidenhead area (it was a 2 litre 8V running 25bhp nitrous), he did me every time on technique, on the last run though I did start to close in on him, must practice the balance of power and grip in first and second gears. He did tell me his forum name, but I forgot - anyone know it ?

Do you reckon that there are enough Mk1 owners that want to sprint to have a day at Avon Park or Santa Pod ?
I have this sprinting bug now !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
When asked questions like this I always think: What would I do if I were running a business and someone was paying me for the job; someone who might well vocalise on forums, give a bad name, etc or come back asking for compensation.

I think if that were the case, I'd recommend a reconditioned 020 over a secondhand/unknown condition 02A.

Having said that, I've just swapped over 2x  020 gearboxes, for different reasons. One of them is fine, and one of them has a tiny tiny little crunch into 2nd when its cold. So success rate on untested secondhand boxes, crudely based on this, is 50%.

At the end of the day all I can do is give information, the original poster may interpret this as he/she likes!

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

My Mk1 G60 is running an 020 box without any problems, ok so I am only 5K miles  down the line, but I went with Midland VW advise that it will handle the 190 BHP that it is putting out. I did have the gearbox fully rebuilt and anything showing any wear replaced.

I guess a lot depends on how you drive it, for me I enjoy the good mix that the engine and gearbox combination gives me, but I do not thrash the living daylights out of it all the time, no doubt it would not last very long if I did that, but I am sure nothing would last long if it was thrashed every time it was taken out !!

Oh the only exception was on the sprint at Inters on Saturday !!
I thrashed the nuts off it and got *CENSORED* sprint times, once I got her into 3rd gear we were away, but a combination of the rain and my heavy right foot made for some interesting sprint technique - I really will have to improve this - great fun trying though !!

I got on the line a couple of times against a blue Mk1 driven by a chap from the Maidenhead area (it was a 2 litre 8V running 25bhp nitrous), he did me every time on technique, on the last run though I did start to close in on him, must practice the balance of power and grip in first and second gears. He did tell me his forum name, but I forgot - anyone know it ?

Do you reckon that there are enough Mk1 owners that want to sprint to have a day at Avon Park or Santa Pod ?
I have this sprinting bug now !!

lhasadreams/others, there's still space available at Retro Car Show and GTI Festival, due to our being able to expand the club stand capacity from 15 to 20. Its in 2 weeks time.

Maybe we should do a 1/4 mile times league table?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.