Skip navigation

A116 KLB - GTI Cabriolet Triple White

Back to the top

The start of topless fun

Hi all,

We have taken the plunge and have got ourselves a golf cabriolet!

Bought it today - not seen it yet! ( taking a gamble )

Here it is

Reg number is A116 KLB is it known to anyone on here?

Picking it up tomorrow - very excited!

Matt n Susie

Last edit: by mattn

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
Looks tidy but old cars tend to have many hidden secrets! Hope it is nice and tidy for you. What plans do you have for it?

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
back to original glory

a few hidden modern features like better brakes, alarm etc

but generally to get her looking as new as poss - apparently its got original seats with 50/50 split rears, they are all white - but the fabric is knackered! ( seems to have horizontal thin stripes on white material - any idea what these are? )

Matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
You're brave Matt!! I hope it's as good inside/under as it looks on the outside :wink:

Hopefully you can give us good news after you pick it up

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
so do I!

Here are the seats - need a retrim or replace!

Does anyone know if these are original seats? and what they are as i need to get material for retrim or replacement seats.

matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
just got home - about 350 miles on train - then 350 mile sin the golf - phew!

she is back wtih onely a few problems!

1 - she seems down on power 95 is top speed downhill and uphill feels like in too high a gear - any thoughts

2 - dash board is 30mph too fast - and top speed on dial is 120 - is that right? when lights are on, dashboard rev counter drops!

3 - ticks over a bit fast from when i had a rocco about 1200rpm ( if the gauge is right

thats all for now - if you can let me know any tit bits of info to help me out - please do.

thanks

matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
1. Check timing / fueling / plugs / dizzy cap / rotor arm
2. Speedo goes up to 120mph / Check earths
3. Adjust idle with screw on throttle body - should be around 800/900 rpm

Is it nice and sound with no rot?

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
hey woza - it is nice and sound

little bit of rust under the windscreen

and a little bubble on door bottoms - but thats about it! ( shock )

got about 15 mots showing it doing 30,000 in the last 15 years!

the centre caps are missing from the wheels ( need some )

passenger side roof doesnt seem to clip in when down ( any thoughts )

will play with the plugs etc today and the earth for the dash

see if we cant get it running sweet!

matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
:y: Looks like you've got a good purchase there but what on earth happened to those seats!  8O

oh and got to love those nice long private roads hey  :wink:  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
cheers phil - there is an old petrochemical site near here - about 2m of private road (problem is its not mine ! lol )

opened her up this morning, looked at dizzy, leads and plugs, not in the best of nick!

put back together - wont start! AHHHH

going to GSF to get some plugs, leads, dizzy and arm, fit them and see if that helps!

not sure what happened to the seats, the leather/vinyl is in great nick, just the bloody material thats gone, anyone know where i can get them fixed with original looking cloth?

Matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
RIGHT

have fitted new rotor arm

dizy cap

plugs

leads

still turns but no fire!

the mfa has been going crazy in the dash - so a bad earth somewhere perhaps?

can anyone tell me where the earth straps should be? as my haynes manual isnt with me!

Matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
sounds silly but i dont know you knowlage of cars i take it you have put ht leads on correct order :dontknow:

Back to the top
what is the correct order ( i think i have them 1342 )

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
sorry mate not sure :oops:  cant check sold car last week some one will tell you

Back to the top
yeah 1342 is right.

Do it in stages. Check for a spark first. If no spark then check coil / ignition module / hall sender connections.

if yes check for fuel. If no fuel check fuel pump relay fuse / relay for operation.

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
hi - silly question - but what is the best way to test for a spark?

anyhow - i have stripped the battery out cleaned up all the contact - followed the earth strap down and back - two bolts where it connects to the bodywork cleaned up the two bolts and spades and refitted, did the same for the earth strap to the rocker cover - are there any more?

stripped out the dash - seems there is some slight damage to the connector for the dash - bit of gaffa tape sorted - now the mfa and lights work as they should! ( still cant start car tho! ) ahhhh
dash surround a bit damaged - anyone got one?

Matt

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
hmm

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
Right - seem to have got the engine running ok.

Ordered some new hoses from my local stealer as i am leaking water from some perished hoses! ( not driving her dont worry! )

Sorted the dash - fingers crossed!
Stripped the clocks out and the wiring I could find, seems the blue on the back of the clocks is burned out in a few places, so I have had to "hot wire" some bits of it! ( but it works for now ! )

The rest of the car welll……

Took the passenger front arch off to look underneath - this is what I found…. not too bad I though

Now for the interior

Need some seats!

Managed to find the source of the problem of the roof not clipping down, a packet of sweets a babies bottle and a can of wd40 jammed in the mechanism!

I need a passengerside roof wind deflector ( i think that is what it is ) small bit of plastic where the roof joins the car at the hinge.

Thats all for now.

See you soon.

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
If you are still having the problem with the rev counter dying when you turn the lights on, the reason is there is an earth which attaches to the rocker cover at the rear passenger side.  This is the rev counter or light switch earth (I forget which) and if left off causes the rev counter to die when the lights come on.
HTH

Back to the top
try this link for the hinge covers, if its the part you mean.

from the states but much better than the 25-40 quid you see them go for normally.

mate has bought from him in the past, shipping rates reasonable, take a long time to get here mind you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/eb…m=&item=320127577742&rd=1

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.