Skip navigation

fed up people leaving forum

Back to the top

fed up people leaving forum

bens_cab said

its that time for a revolution :mrgreen:

i feel for you paul because from where we sit your the man that takes the grief wheres the chairman of the club defusing these situations ??????????????????????????????????????

i know the mods are busy but come on whats going on with the rest of the mods commitee theres only a few regular mods that post as lawsy said help has been offered in the past and refused and i think this all stems from bad leadership  :dontknow:

Well said mate….

Back to the top
funny thing is with all these new members we still struggle to get more than 60 people online at once?

130 last july was the highest amount odd that :dontknow:

Back to the top
I can't see how the search could be improved, or how hard it is to use - you click on "search", then type in the search terms you're looking for, then press the search button - how can it be complicated? (There are a few novel ideas I've done before with customised search engines, but unfortunately its not really possible to implement these here because I'd be forced to tie it into the existing CMS. It would need writing and testing and there's more pressing projects/coding to be done).

We trialled inline redirection to display useful info, for the Classifieds area and to be honest, its benefit has been marginal - so you'd need to draw the conclusion that people either don't read rules/guidelines, or read them but then soon forget about them and then do their own thing anyway. Its difficult to MAKE people do certain things (like read/understand rules, or use the search engine in preference to starting their own topic on a common issue) without coming across as restricting or nannying them.

In an effort to cut down on the numbers of repeated posts with the same query, and to provide the required info in an easy-to-read format, I've gradually been expanding the technical reference section. Its a shame this work was delayed, and is slow, but I did advertise the position of tech coordinator for a long time and nobody came forwards. So I had to take this on myself, alongside other work/duties. Hopefully at some point the section will gain momentum and it will become easier to expand this area.

It kind of ties in with my general feeling about the forum - that we in danger of becoming complacent and thinking the forum area is a definitive oracle of all the useful info. Fact is, anyone can set up a forum on the internet, gain a reasonable number of users on it, and gain same/similar status in terms of club presence at shows etc. So we need to concentrate on diversifying the things the club does, both in expanding online content and offline presence and help in other ways. Its true to say that certain areas of the committee have not met members expectations, all I can ask is that members attend the AGM, and use their votes effectively to provide a strong team for the future.

If you survey across other forums, signatures on here ARE on average much shorter and less burdonsome whilst reading threads - many other forums have users with sigs with large (filesize) animated GIFs which take a while to load, etc.

The "moved" placeholder is left when a thread is moved to assist the OP and others in finding and continuing the thread but in the right area, and in any case don't display after 24 hours. The only other options would be to suppress the placeholder, or not move the thread.

Back to the top
Ben, it's easy to say help has been refused but at the end of the day, there's been two committee positions open which no one had been forthcoming to step up for - we've just filled the membership secretary post but mine is still open.

I'm not having a dig, it's a fact of life and has been with this club even since the early days and lower numbers that it's difficult to get help. That said, I know only too well that a club like this can consume a huge amount of time for all committee members/helpers even when on the surface it may appear not much is going on.

It's a shame that there appears to have been a lot of negativity on here recently - like me, I would have thought people would come on here to chill and chat about and share a mutual passion. Too many keyboard warriors maybe?! :dontknow:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

paul_c said

I can't see how the search could be improved, or how hard it is to use - you click on "search", then type in the search terms you're looking for, then press the search button - how can it be complicated? (There are a few novel ideas I've done before with customised search engines, but unfortunately its not really possible to implement these here because I'd be forced to tie it into the existing CMS. It would need writing and testing and there's more pressing projects/coding to be done).

Sending all new member a short email pointing out that the search facitly exists.. Making it more visible on layout…

change the default so it doesnt bring up thousands of posts ina  simple search..

Paul, what your forgetting taht most new peopel are younger/more niave and not so nerdy with technical jargon so they just ask rather than search anyways..

Back to the top

bens_cab said

funny thing is with all these new members we still struggle to get more than 60 people online at once?

130 was a peak and the average number of users online HAS dropped, due to a seasonal effect. Remember, last summer was one of the wettest and I for one, did hardly anything on my cars outside and thus spent a lot more time on here. So I don't think a July 07 - July 08 comparison is going to reflect a true picture.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Ben, it's easy to say help has been refused but at the end of the day, there's been two committee positions open which no one had been forthcoming to step up for - we've just filled the membership secretary post but mine is still open.

I'm not having a dig, it's a fact of life and has been with this club even since the early days and lower numbers that it's difficult to get help. That said, I know only too well that a club like this can consume a huge amount of time for all committee members/helpers even when on the surface it may appear not much is going on.

It's a shame that there appears to have been a lot of negativity on here recently - like me, I would have thought people would come on here to chill and chat about and share a mutual passion. Too many keyboard warriors maybe?! :dontknow:  :lol:

i know i come on here when she watches the soaps so would have time for a position like secretary ect but i do read lots of threads that i think are getting out of control without anyone stepping in and locking it?

even parts forsale some poor guy got slated last night for trying to sell some mounts were just trying to get on and certain people feel the need to put people down

Back to the top

paul_c said

If you survey across other forums, signatures on here ARE on average much shorter and less burdonsome whilst reading threads - many other forums have users with sigs with large (filesize) animated GIFs which take a while to load, etc.

The "moved" placeholder is left when a thread is moved to assist the OP and others in finding and continuing the thread but in the right area, and in any case don't display after 24 hours. The only other options would be to suppress the placeholder, or not move the thread.

Sigs…
I was comenting on THIS forum, not OTHERS about sig sizes, take dubboys, he's our chairman and his signature goes on for about 200 lines (exageration) plus half naked ladies in huge pics etc etc etc..

I was saying about MOVED as a way of pointing out how many posts get moved, not that seeing itself is annoying (if that makes sense) meaning that people posting in the wrong areas winds me up, I know it wind sup others too such as A5OPY as he always used to moan about ti

Back to the top

Lawsy said

paul_c said

Sending all new member a short email pointing out that the search facitly exists.. Making it more visible on layout…

change the default so it doesnt bring up thousands of posts ina  simple search..

Paul, what your forgetting taht most new peopel are younger/more niave and not so nerdy with technical jargon so they just ask rather than search anyways..

i think sending out a generic pm reminding people of the rules is a good place to start :banghead:

Back to the top

Lawsy said

paul_c said

The search default was changed on 6/4/08.

the customisation of the welcome/activation email is possible but technically difficult to implement.

Back to the top

paul_c said

bens_cab said

130 was a peak and the average number of users online HAS dropped, due to a seasonal effect. Remember, last summer was one of the wettest and I for one, did hardly anything on my cars outside and thus spent a lot more time on here. So I don't think a July 07 - July 08 comparison is going to reflect a true picture.

lets hope it rains this summer then :wink:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

:

I've ofered help with yor post mate, first off turned down because I aint been a member long enough, then it gets reduced to incorperate me…
annoyed me a little and cos I'm stubborn I didnt come forward again..

I stand by saying that in order for me to help out,t he idea of sellingt o MEMBERS only would need to be dropped so I'm awaiting the AGM before making any more comments on that..

But yes, too manykeyboard warriors, I hope everyone makes teh AGM and then lets see which of the keyboard warriors turn into voices!!!!!

What day is the meeting being held on, I hope its the sunday so Ben can attend…

Back to the top
Interesting comments about sigs. Unsure how we can address this unless we introduce rules/guidelines on sigs (unpopular) or switch off the facility altogether. (Avatars are moderated for width, due to forum layout/legibility).

Back to the top
paul im not sure where you find the time for this place your post total speaks words to me and should to other

any new members would think your the chairman on here which perhaps if things were different you would be

although drew never posted that much tbh

i respect what you do for the club and how busy you are its a shame there arnt another 20 of you

how many mods does the forum have?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Interesting comments about sigs. Unsure how we can address this unless we introduce rules/guidelines on sigs (unpopular) or switch off the facility altogether. (Avatars are moderated for width, due to forum layout/legibility).

I think 2 3 lines should be about it, if anyone wants pics, use the avatar or a link to a page of pictures/thread etc

(sorry ben I know you have a sig, but yours isnt that big really)

Back to the top
ant5
Bert
ChrisB ?????????????
chudd
crazyquiff
Dano ???????????????
debs ??????????????
Dougelove?????????????
drew ?????????????
dubboy
dubgrrl ?????????????
DubPartz ????????????
Early-1800
ew
GAMMYGOLFGTI
Hairyarse
jennybugs ????????????
markwon ???????????????
paul c
PhilTMK1GTI
Ross?????????????????

out of 21 mods theres 10 that you will rarely see if at all that being the case why isnt this a priority if the mods are always busy???

Back to the top

Lawsy said

paul_c said

I think 2 3 lines should be about it, if anyone wants pics, use the avatar or a link to a page of pictures/thread etc

i can make it bigger :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Lawsy said

he's been told that before

Back to the top

wooders said

Lawsy said

he's been told that before

wooders would make a good mod i think :lol:

Back to the top
yeh, i've seen quadraphenia
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.