Skip navigation

my mk1 24V VR6

Back to the top

my mk1 24V VR6

um i have had a lot of luck with the engine building side of things what with being good mates and a distant relative to Grant Woodhatch of Grant Motorsport!    i think this sort of engine conversion start to finish would cost around ?7000 and up!! but then every conversion is different. it is very expensive to tune a n/a vr6 unfortunately  :(  hope this helps?

Back to the top
24v? hows that work man

Back to the top
that is looking very good there mate, well played.

I am quite a novice when it comes to engine conversions, how is it that you have installed yours without cutting away at the chassis leg like paul_c had to on his conversion

cheers kenno

Back to the top

alexHxC said

24v? hows that work man

just like with 16v engines, 4 valves per cylinder

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Cant wait to hear this, please put a video up when you're done :D

Back to the top
if you use the right combination of bits out of the vw part bin it fits with out any modification to the leg! just!!!

Back to the top

ashtray said

if you use the right combination of bits out of the vw part bin it fits with out any modification to the leg! just!!!

Agree - my engine clears where the original 0chassis leg would have been. But, it would have been a lot of a squeeze installing and removing the engine. I reckon I've had mine in and out 10 times or more, during the project.

Back to the top
oh right so yours would have gone in with no mods to the leg too?
yeah they do seem to have to come in and out a fair bit its NOT easy folks!!
I also forgot to put the the water pump pulley on so now all the mounts will have to come off its just too tight to get it on but it dose clear one on! maybe it would have made my life easier to cut the leg away like you have done

Back to the top
Did you do the build? or pay someone else to do it

Back to the top
well like i said, grant woodhatch off of grant motorsport (fame?)built the engine and supplied a LOT of knowledge and advice don't think i could have done it without him,I have done maybe 90% of the rest i did fabricate the mounts but didn't weld them (I suck at it) I also didn't paint it but I did do all the prep myself!!

Back to the top

mk1john said

alexHxC said

24v? hows that work man

i ment a 24v vr6 lol i thought they only came in 12v?

Back to the top

alexHxC said

mk1john said

alexHxC said

24v? hows that work man

i ment a 24v vr6 lol i thought they only came in 12v?

The original ones were 12V but later ones, basically Mk4 Golf onwards? were 24V. Basically its a later, more efficient, engine, however still with the obvious design limitations brought about by the unequal length inlet pipes. VW did develop a solution to this, but it was too expensive to put into production. It kinda got passed around a bit and then ended up as an aftermarket tuning thing, the "Schrick manifold". Look at ?1300 or so for one, however. The R32 (3.2 litre) is a bore and stroke of the 24V VR6 engine, probably with larger valves, hotter cam and obviously different ECU programming too, to achieve 240bhp (24V was around 190bhp, the original 174bhp as 2.8 and 190bhp as 2.9 in Corrado). The 3.6 litre VR6 as used in the Passat R36 (not available in UK though) is another development again, and uses FSI technology. I'm unsure if they introduced variable valve timing, and when, on the VR6 family (I think 24V and onwards in a basic (allows to advance) form)?

Back to the top
Off topic i know but the R36 Passat has a 296bhp 3.6 V6 FSI not a VR6 and is available in the uk.

http://www.volkswagen.…/engine-and-transmission/

Back to the top
Just loaded now - it seems to be a V6, not VR6 (ie wider spacing and 2x heads instead of 1). I guess Passat's these days reverted to inline engine (still FWD though) like the Audis?

Oh well…R32 it is then.

Back to the top
ummm that must be a illustration i think! here is a r36 engine, still a in-line v6 with one cylinder head!

the mounts look the same too?
could have that in our cars in a few hours :twisted:

Back to the top
Thought I was going crazy then - I was sure the R36 was VR6 configuration! Well yes, the mounts look the same but aren't (apparently), and also you'd need to do something with the FSI fuel injection (either convert to more conventional fuel injection with an aftermarket ECU, or come up with your own controller and stuff). Storm developments have done an R36 conversion into a Mk2 Golf and it was at GTI Inters.

Back to the top
oh that's a few interesting facts! i bet the mounts are not to different i was thinking up the cc to around 3800 and bolt my itbs on has to be good for 380/400 hp how mad would that be?

Back to the top
I'm interested to keep tabs on this car. How's it coming along? Is it finished? Road legal? Coming to VW Action in a couple of weeks, it would be awesome to see this car on the 1/4 mile (and probably beat me too!!!) otherwise are we all going to have to wait until 2009 to see it driven in anger?

Back to the top
alright bud? um i don't think its gonna be finished for 4to6 weeks :(  
got the drive-shafts rebuilt and fitted all the new brake lines and bias valve fuel lines and pump the other day. Not had much time l been working all the hours, bloody holidays! i was quite happy to spend the weekend at E38 the Mrs wasn't ha ha so is yours all sorted? on the road now?

Back to the top

ashtray said

alright bud? um i don't think its gonna be finished for 4to6 weeks :(  
got the drive-shafts rebuilt and fitted all the new brake lines and bias valve fuel lines and pump the other day. Not had much time l been working all the hours, bloody holidays! i was quite happy to spend the weekend at E38 the Mrs wasn't ha ha so is yours all sorted? on the road now?

I've a little way to go too. I'm going to Action but playing it safe with the black 16V.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.