Skip navigation

my mk1 24V VR6

Back to the top

my mk1 24V VR6

hi everybody new to all this thought i better drag my but in to the (new!!)millenium but time ha ha
good to here what you guys think?

Back to the top
there aint no pic mate

Back to the top
still trying to figure it out ! any help?

Back to the top

Back to the top
how i found her!

almost finished just waiting for 6branch and itbs

all the crusty old wiring is gone now woohoo

wiring is done in this pic more soon

Back to the top
Nice! Sorted out how you're going to fit the ITBs and radiator? Also….you do realise you'll need different length runners for adjacent cylinders for the ITBs?

Back to the top
Looks tidy. What made you go for the VR6?

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
yeh the head has be modified to accept the throttles direct to head so no manifold needed i got a rs500 alloy rad and had it cut down and made shorter by a local metal shop total cost about 250 quid all in bargain jenvey do various length trumpets to account for the inlet track being different

i went for the vr cause i fancied something a bit different being 24v on itbs may well be a first in a mk1?? and i love the way vr's deliver power and that noise and character

Back to the top
It will probably be a first with that combination of components. But someone's put an R32 into a Mk1 so its not the biggest or most powerful stock engine to go in. I now know of 4 Mk1 VR6 conversions in progress and 3 done. They're getting like 20vT - common as muck!

Back to the top
funny you should say that are all the ones you know about 24v? think its whats in mine that sets it apart

Back to the top
Nope, all the ones I know are 12V, albeit one of those has a turbo. I've only indirectly heard about the R32, its obviously 24V too. I think you've done the right thing with going for a 24V, though. Had I not been so tight-fisted I might have gone for the R32 engine, instead of a 12V VR6. Still, with all the other stuff done there's probably room for a later upgrade in there, don't fancy having to buy another custom exhaust manifold though!!!!

Back to the top
ha ha well if i had not been so tight fisted i would have had a r32 engine but for less money i got a beetle rsi lump, hi comp forged pistons,almost a 3.1!,schrick cams,arp bolts,polished crank,+i don't need a inlet manifold bonus? hoping for arround 300 bhp grant motor sport did a corrado r32 on itbs it made around 336 bhp at circuit motors not much in it when you count power to weight?

so what you up to with yours? what sort of speck you got? any pics?

Back to the top
Tidy job mate, nice one 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

ashtray said

so what you up to with yours? what sort of speck you got? any pics?

Here's the build link:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ms&file=viewtopic&t=26924

Briefly:

VR6 12V (AAA engine code)
Decat and custom 6-2-1 manifold and system
lightened flywheel
standalone ECU
DRC 268? cams

so I'm hoping for around 200bhp stock. I'm allowing for the possibility of nitrous later on though.

Back to the top
cool looking good only had time for a quick look tho!, your engine mount looks good its a tricky little bugger ain't it? with them in the right the possibilities are endless you know ha ha ha

Back to the top
nitrous :evil:  haha like the way you think

Back to the top
ITB'S on now soon to breath their first breaths :D
hopefully!!!!

[im g]

Back to the top
now thats a quality looking VR6 install  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
thanks a lot mate

Back to the top
nice install just wondering how much it cost to do the conversion aswell ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.