Skip navigation

Mk1 GTi Campaign Restoration Thread - New pics Page 6

Back to the top

Mk1 GTi Campaign Restoration Thread - New pics Page 6

Thought I'd post a few pics and then ask a few urgent questions as the car is booked in for a respray on Monday:

My Campaign has been off the road now for almost 2yrs, no particular reason for it either, in fact it still had 4mths MOT on it when I laid it up. It was just that I bought a mk1 Scirocco, a Corrado, a couple of mk2's, another mk1 and just never got round to getting it back on the road.

I stripped most of the car ages ago but have only started to get things ready the last few weeks.

The original Autotrader Photo when I bought the car back in 2002:

I wasn't even on the hunt for buying it to be honest I was just bored in Uni and searched Autotrader and thought I'd take a look out of curiousity. It matched the Campaign Register's spec and knew I just had to have it. A deal was struck and the car was then picked up a week later.

I can still remember the day I drove it back from Exeter Uni to Cardiff, was awesome having only ever driven 1.1 Polo's. The mk1 was my dream car since I was about 14.

Here's a few basic pics of the car 4yrs ago when it was still a basic 8v:

The car was a basic 8v with full Magnex 4-branch and stainless sytem with a Piper Cam. This was pretty fast but not fast enough

I managed to pick up the following car for ?200

which had a completely rebuilt 1.9 16v engine. I broke this car and ended up making a fair few quid so whacked the engine into the mk1. Combined it with an Ashley Conversion Manifold and brand new Supersprint system. Drove it round for a while whilst in Cardiff Uni and the dreaded rust started to creep in.

Decided to strip it, so this was how it stood for a fair amount of time:

Then got the repair panels and got them welded in a fortnight ago:

Also had two other areas welded, these need to be flatted back for the respray:

Very solid shell overall, although the car is full of rust residue where the rain has dripped in. Looks worse than it is.

Took the rusty front wings off and the inner wings are completely solid, surprising how thick the waxoyl was from factory!

Have sourced solid genuine wings and tailgate, just need to get a repair panel for the numberplate light.

Will keep you updated

Back to the top
Actually it was 2003, it was during my first year in Uni.

Picked up a tailgate and wings.

Here's how it stands at the minute:

Back to the top
Managed to secure a solid rear panel:

Going to get the section welded in either tomorrow or Wednesday, then hopefully it should be ready for respray once I've removed all glass, doors, mirrors etc.

Back to the top
A couple of pics from today:

Going to tidy up these wires over the next few days as there's several scotch locks used:

Springs are looking a little rusty:

I've ordered some new Febi top mounts and have some brand new Boge 35mm lowering springs waiting to be fitted.

As it stands over night:

Back to the top
Couple of questions if I may:

1. The tailgate.

a) How do you disconnect/remove the wiring from within the tailgate?

b) Where do I get a right angled screwdriver from to undo the screws? Otherwise it'll be peeling the headlining back to get at the hex bolts. I'd rather not do that as it appears the headlining is under soem sealant and I don't wish to get the stanley out.

2. The exterior trim.

I could get new bumpers and arches from GSF/ECP etc. but I'm thinking the quality may be a bit off.

So how about getting the bumpers, arches, A-Pillars, chin spoiler, wing mirrors spray painted?

I understand they would need to have a textured finish.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this method? The garage said he could do it all, it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone have any pics of trim that's been sprayed?

Cheers

Back to the top
Gareth,

You can pull the wires out of the hatch once every thing is disconnected.  I reinstall the wiring using some black hard plactic pipe - works a treat.

On the bumpers - you'll regret geting them painted with normal paint.  I'd either get new ones from me - good quality :) or use kolorbond to recolour them - it's amazing stuff - retains all the texture and is NOT paint - see www.kolorbond.co.uk

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
WHat about actually removing the tailgate? Is it possible to do so without removing the headlining as mentioned. A right angled screwdriver should do the trick??? Or a ring spanner with a suitable head??

I suppose I could get bumpers / trim at a later date.

Although the respray price (?1800) is including them painted if I wish. He will texturise them, so thought I'd get my money's worth.

Forgot to ask, is there a tool to remove top strut mount nut? Last time I used a spark plug with an allen key which was quite tricky as i had to use a spanner on a round item!!

Back to the top
urgent bump, only got tomorrow to get the tailgate and struts off, working all weekend see  :D

Back to the top
Sorry - but you are going to have to take the headlining back  :cry:

I've made my own special tool but is essentially a socket and an allen key

Back to the top
I'll have to make a special tool for myself :wink:

To make matters worse, about to put on my Boge Lowering Springs:

to find this:

Can anyone suggest where or what part I can get the disc/mount from? Is it VAG only?

Also what suspension should I go for? Ideally I just wanted to replace the springs but now I'm thinking it may be more economical to buy a complete set.

Those hottuning sets on eBay look alright for the money although I'd rather keep it at standard GTi ride height.

Suggestions

Back to the top
I have very good used or can supply new

Back to the top
Are you referring to the upper spring disc or the shocks as a whole?

I can get the disc for ?11 from ECP (genuine item) As I'm trying to spend as little as possible and having looked all over the forums, the bay of e and other various shops including ECP, GSF etc.

The best I found was over at motorsportworld ?83.42 for all 4 Bilstein shocks.

Having phoned them up to order and it turns out that's for the inserts only.

Nowehere seems to sell them as complete units??

What I have decided to do is get the old wire brush drill attachment and clean them up. I'll then spray them. The shocks were fine when on the car ie. pushing down at each corner and there's no signs of leaks. In fact I'm sure I remember seeing receipts for new inserts somewhere in the history file. So it's just a case of tidying them up.

If anyone could find out if the bushes at the bottom are replaceable that would be great.

ECP seem to list them

GENUINE     n/a     609440160     REAR STRUT TOP MOUNTING LOWER GOLF 1/ SCIROCCO
Lower bearing/mount

Does that sound like them?

Also what type of paint is required for the job? It doesn't have to be an amazing job, just to tidy them up really.

Back to the top
Gareth,
PM Sent  :wink:

Back to the top
crazyquiff is your man for that part mate, i'm sure he'll have a few og the kicking around

as for suspension, i went for Boge shocks and 40mm lower springs… sat nice but the handlin wasnt quite the same but still good! other than that there's coily's but they range from cheap to pretty steap but you do get what you pay for (bro had fully adjustable bilstein, qiuality kit but 400+!)

gotta say, she was a gorgeous car till the scab set in, those arch spats do a good job at hidden it eh  :( i've just got myself a late silver campaign, few bits to do but luckily no body work, just odds n sods  :mrgreen:

keep us up-to-date, love the daily updates and good work! keep it up! get her mint again  :y:

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
Nice project, keep us updated!

Back to the top
I've ordered some OE Bilstein suspension which I am eagerly awaiting delivery for.

I spent today taking off the windscreen wipers, stripping doors, removing stickers and other little nuts and bolts.

Is this door beyond repair:

?????

I also removed the windscreen from the replacement tailgate. Had a smashing time in doing so:

[LOL] [:$] [LOL]

I also need a bit of help in plumbing the following pipes (currently capped with coke bottle lids [LOL] ) by the airbox:

I have the spaceship type sensor and cutoff valve but need to know how they are plumbed in and wired???

Bear in mind this is a KR 16v conversion

I have started a thread here to try to solve this:

http://www.clubgti.com…php?p=1517008#post1517008

Finally, here's how she stands:

Back to the top
today I bled the brakes seen as all the suspension is off. Put some 14" steelies on the front as I though I may as well get my P-Slots refurbed while I'm at it!

With respect to the following areas:

How should one prep this? Waxoyl? Schultz? anything else?

Or should I levae it to the sprayer to sort this?

I just thought seen as the suspension is all off I may as well get it ready as the sprayer isn't going to take the new suspension off, just cover it up….

Advice appreciated

Back to the top
Nice job Gareth  :clap:

I've opted to have the wheel arches re-sprayed as it gives a nice clean look
also I intend to give the Clipper a clean up each time its used so there wont be any build up of grime etc.

Back to the top
sounds like a plan. Although I doubt the sprayer will want to be taking teh suspension off. Would it be possible for him to spray behind it??

Back to the top
Stonechip it 1st, then get painter to paint it, or paint it yaself
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.