Skip navigation

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

Back to the top

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

finshed of the fab of the passenger side gearbox mount.

bolted on my mock up gearbox and test fitted the engine for the first time in the bay. Could resist chucking on the top cover and boost pipe

these are getting ditched as i have some more interesting plans

anyway here's some pics

mike

Back to the top
mmmmmmmmmmmmm 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Lookin good so far Mike, will be a nice ride 8)

Quick question regarding the drivers side mount you made, the bush tube is at an angle to the edge of the plate with two bolt holes. Is this the same angle as a standard gti mount?

Or whats the angle if you dont mind measuring for me?

Saves me some time as im nearly ready to drop the lump in and was gonna cut and bolt the plate to te block, fit bush and tube to shell, drop the lump in, tack weld, remove and fully weld etc

Cheers James

Back to the top
cheers

roughly the same angle- about 15 degrees if i rememeber rightly

i just offered the mount up to the engine and tilted the engine back until the bush tube was vertical - when i was happy with the angle of the engine i welded it up - 20v's sit quite laid back

every mount i've seen seems to be in a differet position so i'm not sure its an exact science

mine was welded in as low on the mount as possible to help lift the engine

hope that helps

give me a shout if you need any more info

Back to the top
Quality build  mate

Quick question about your gear ratio/speeds ,were these worked out with mk4 diameter wheels and tyres?

If not what size rims and tyres do you plan to fit to get those speeds?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
based on 15x8's with 195 tyres

updates tmw

20 hours work on the front panel ! still no where near finished

Back to the top
Hi great work,

1 quick point to add to your top speed argument, does anyone know the top speed allowed by the aerodynamics of the mk1 golf, if the shape won't allow you to do more than 150mph then it's pointless gearing it to do 170, it may be possible to push the car to those dizzy speeds but it will take more power than it would if the car was more slippery,

do you ever expect to use your theoretical top speed? i've got a mk1, and driven an evo fq 400 at 160mph and i wouldn't like to do it in the mk1, with all the aerodynamics of the evo the weight shift at 140 whilst cornering is nerve racking, in a golf you'd be in need of new underwear :lol:

All good fun though,

my buggy has a theoretical top speed of 120, but i'll be f*%&'d if i'm taking it over 80! :lol:

Back to the top
i reckon at any where near those speeds the roof would peel off. 8O

i dare say i won't be driving it anywhere near them

the longer gears are more  for making use of the power /traction ( or lack of it) too short and i'd be spining the wheels in every gear and not getting very far.

hopefully update with some pics  later

Back to the top
few updates

been putting off finishing the front panel for weeks - took friday off work and cracked on

have maybe 20 hours in this front panel - still needs some tweaks and hand finishing but its getting there

here some pics

smoothed the lower seam and the recessed bit on the drivers side

offered it up on the car to see hows it looking - generally happy with how things are taking shape - learning as i go

was going to do some more graft today but got ruined last on the ale - would end in tears if i was operating an angle grinder today  :lol:

Back to the top
Good work Mike - and patience 8)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
cheers

taking my time with this one - have never driven the car so have nothing to miss - was the only way i could do a project like this

no finish date - its done when its done

and it won't be done till its perfect - i hope

Back to the top
Slow and steady wins the race.  But in your case slow and steady gets it spot on.  Cracking work.

Back to the top
not touched the car for 2 weeks now - although i have taken the engine back out and turned over the months on the topless calenders  :lol:

i find they help give the garage that "authentic" garage feel

after last months munters - things are looking up for march  8O

hopefully have a proper update soon ish

Back to the top
This just gets better and better dude, you got any more pics of the front panel/slam/lower rad support panel? Have you just smoothed these parts out?

Been workin on mine just gettin the soundproofing all cleaned off, what a mare. Makes me realise the amount of hours you have put in, and you can see they have been worth every minute.

Top job!

Back to the top
cheers fella

thanks for all the positive comments from everybody on the forum

so many holes on the rad support area i plated it over with one sheet
and then the same on the vertical section - would take a life time to do it hole by hole. all the wleds have then been smoothed and shaped to minise the any filler

also smoothed the lower seam and removed all the notches and drain holes - these will be moved and hidden

and alot of work on balancing the look of the panel  

will try get some more pics once i've done some more photo worthy work

Back to the top
Any more pic updates dude?

Back to the top
not even touched the car this month  :oops:

can see the next month being the same unfortunately  :dontknow:

Back to the top
It happens like that sometimes, chin up, you'll be back on it before you know it :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
mini update - possibly the most boring one ever posted

few mates came over sunday so we flipped the shell over on to its side and carried it back into the garge ( won't flip inside)

was suprisingly difficult to carry a car shell on its side between 3 people up a slope :lol:

anyway it'll be sitting like this whilst i take the floor pan back to bare metal ectch prime it and do any repairs. Got a few dints to pull out and bits i plan smooth / clean up  :P

heres a couple of photo's apologies for a dull update
 8O

mike

Back to the top
Not that dull Mike, you have pics and show progress :wink:  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.