Skip navigation

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

Back to the top

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

depends what you are trying to achieve by seam welding

i'm basically doing every seam in the bay because i want to smooth the bay only using the bare minimum of filler

if its just for some added stiffness i'd start with the turrets and supension related ones and go from there

sorry don't have more pic's to explain

best of luck  

mike

Back to the top
looking good mr birch, drivers side chassis rail looks awesome! cant wait to see it again, but when its not so cold lol!

Back to the top

bud said

looking good mr birch, drivers side chassis rail looks awesome! cant wait to see it again, but when its not so cold lol!

see you sometime in june then
 :lol:

Back to the top
now then

bit of an update - been a bit slow working on the car at the minute - its bloody cold outside and you know it time to call it a day when yesterdays mug of tea has frozen over  :lol:

few more bits of smoothing

drivers side engine mount all boxed in

all the turret seams have been welded up and ground back smooth

rog nipped over for a spot of afternoon tea and to wield the blowtorch while i got busy with the body hammers. - took a few photo's too

can you guess what this bit is for?

maybe now

all welded up and ground smooth - capped the ends of the mounts too

propably never gonna be able to see this work on the final car ( 4 hours+) as turbo will be in the way but i couldn't resist  

crap pic but is was ready for a beer at this point

got to get 90% of the bay work done - then send the car to have the bay media blasted  before i can continue with the remaining bits i have planned

then its engine fitting time ( want to mock the whole car up and get it running - then fully strip it down for paint

will keep the updates comming

mike

Back to the top
Loving this build up, top work mate.

very inspirational.

Back to the top
any new updates on this dude?

Pics?

Back to the top
got a fair few bits done

hopefully 95% of people will never notice the changes  :twisted:

mainly to the chasis legs + started smoothing the front panel

just trying to keep it smooth and factory looking.

starting removing the tar on the floor and bulkhead for another little idea i have.

hopefully have some updates ( with pics by the end of the weekend)

might be making a start paint stripping the bay

cheers for the comments

Back to the top
cool, dont be shy with the pic's, get em up so we can have a gander.

Back to the top

supadunc said

cool, dont be shy with the pic's, get em up so we can have a gander.

Yes, please do.

Back to the top
few little updates to mention

made a start on stripping the underseal of the floor - the combination of a freezing garage and tar fumes didn't really help my cold  

mainly been working on little mods to the bay - improving on the factory look - just little details that we saw that didn't look right

not that you can see but there is about 8 hours + in all this lot - reckon few people will notice the changes

added a curve to the drivers side leg where the support for the brake mechainsm used to be - you get left with a odd looking flat section - thats doesn't fit

now mirrors the passenger leg and adds some symmetry

Also added another Rib to the passenger chassis leg to even it up and get rid of a large flat section - ribs now match up on both drivers and passengers side  B)
Rog gave us a hand shaping and welding the thing in

before - hideous

after - much better +  plated the vertical section  face of the passenger side leg near the bumper mounts - removes two lumps that ruined the flow

Boxed in the old small block engine mount - lot of cuting and welding / forming  - really makes the chassis legs look more even and solid

finally - smoothed in  / capped  the wishbone mounts  - lower hole left to help drain any water that gets in

just debating now whether / what media to use to get the bay back to bare metal so phase 2 metal work can begin !!!!

cheers for all the comments
mike

Back to the top
ta for the pics dude, project is coming on nicely.

Back to the top
cheers fella

yeah pretty pleased with how things are coming along

thanks for the interest

Back to the top
Cracking thread mate!

Back to the top
cheers fella

still been grafting on this on and off this past week or so.

manged to get an eye infection from some metal dust that was in there - nice

have removed all the floor tar + bare metalled the bulkhead and started grinding back all the welds on the inside of the bulkhead

they'll be covered up with sound deadening but i want them ground back and filled before

cutting the scuttle out this week - bit of reust behind it and i couldn't be 100% sure i get it all with it on the car

so its coming off fixed up and then put back in

hopefully update the thread with some pic at the weekend

Back to the top
Eye infections…man flu its all about mate lol no bloody good! Best charge the batteries for the camera then mate

haha

Back to the top
yep

had to get the metal taken out my eye with a needle - and it true mk1 form it has rusted !  :lol:

bay is looking good - but not too different from standard subtle changes here and there. - thats a good thing

so many hours have gone into the bay and a hell of a lot more to go

Back to the top
Stop teasing us dude and get that eye better and get them pics up over the weekend.

8)

Back to the top
hahaha

eye is about sorted - saturday night boozing helped sort it out

i'm only updating it when there is good stuff to update  

should have something by sunday night - if i get a good few hours at it over the weekend

cheers

mike

Back to the top
been abit slow on the mk1 work this past few weeks

managed to get myself a nice eye infection from some metal dust - typical mk1 the metal rusted too making it worse.

i'm currently still too drunk from last night to do much work today so i thought i'd post some pictures

ground back all the welds on the inside of the bulkhead - will be covered up with carpets etc but needed to be done so its looks like it came that way from the factory

scraped all the tar up of the floor too - real fun job that was - still need to remove the remains but i'll treat myself to that another day

seat rails got the chop so i can weld in fixed bars and run the seat real low - giving me more head room with the cage

scuttle panel had some surface rust underneath and had rusted through in one place - i wanted to treat it all properly - so it doesn't start again in a few years time

so figured it was best if scuttle came off  - fixed and replaced

all taken down to bare metal and etched

need to smooth a few bits and do some repairs and its ready to go back on

got some bits at the laser cutters so hopefully be able to get some engine mounts fabbed up soon and get cracking with a few bits

so much to do !!!

mike

Back to the top
Nice work on the scuttle Mike :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.