Skip navigation

Chugging chugging -- no go

Back to the top

Chugging chugging -- no go

I just put my finger through my filler neck after the car stalled 3 times rolling up to traffic lights today :(

Got a neck, filter and rubber hose guaranteed next day for ?60 :?

I'm off to empty my fuel tank…

Back to the top
best of luck!]

make sure you jack it up high enough on axle stands so you can get a good working space.

and rest the rear axle on the axle stands./

Back to the top
Cheers for the tips! Will do!

Just went to Halfrauds for some jubilee clips, cut out about 4 times on the way. Managed to bump start it w/ the clutch a couple of times but at traffic lights it's a no go :(

Can see flakes of s#!t in the inline filter, which is brown.

Gets better the more fuel is in the car, so maybe when the level is low there's junk blocking the pickup, though when I had a look in the tank last week it looked very clean  :dontknow:

Will report on my progress!

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
have you checked your primary and secondry jets?
i had the exact same problem and it turned otu my primary jet was blocked and my secondry wasnt  as like you said  if i put my foot down it shot off…

strips your jets out  but MAKE SURE you write down  od put them in cardboard on the way they came out  otherwise it wont work..

clean them all out.. i used a pin to clear them out then put an air line down them and a bit of carb cleaner..

might be worth stripping the top of your carb off to to get access to the float chamber as sumtiems if there has been small particles of rust etc come through  they can float around in there and cause blockages  .

after i stripped all my carb and jets and cleaned it all through it ran like a dream!!

( i changed all my fuel lines aswell while i was at it  and put new filters on…  you want one right before the fuel inlet on the carb so notihng can get in… )

hope this may of helped..

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top
This sounds like an idea.

I'll definitely suggest this to the garage it's going in to on Saturday. I got lucky and moved to a house 3 doors down from a very friendly mechanic :D

Been fine for the last four days but last night was up to its old tricks on the way back from work. Bump started it on the clutch about 5 times :?

Will report back.

Cheers for the suggestion!

Back to the top
how you getting on with this??

I've just taken delivery of a new tank.

I've pulled of the whole rear of the car. axle etc.

What an episode. one of the shock bolts was rusted solid so had to really get at it with grinders, drills and brute force to get the thing off.

It came off.

so, dropped the tank, and drained it, wire brushed the back axle, brakes, absolutely cleaned every but of loose rust off and then pained everything.

even took apart the brake cylinders and cleaned them all up nice. Just waiting now for new brake shoes and new fitting kits.

Waxoiled the new tank (which was zinc coated anyway) but though it'd be best to.

Going to get new shocks tomorrow and put it all back together. then…

THE ONLY THING I WON'T HAVE REPLACED WILL BE THE FUEL PUMP AND CARB and AIRFILTER (but it has been cleaned).

Every jubilee clip, every pipe, filter, pick up, sender, EVERYTHING is new.

GRRRR.

but i will probably be asking questions about bleeding brakes etc soon!! lol
 :banghead:

Back to the top
just some pics of my progress..

A little trick to remove or fit the fuel sender. 3/8th drive wratchet used to twist against eachother.

New tank

Back to the top
Hey doods

Sorry the updates have been slow on my end, moved house and I don't got no interwebs :( so I'm being naughty at work  :D

My situation is this - I changed the filler neck after much sparky sparky angle grinder fun and wrassling. Perhaps the one I got from Euro was slightly different to Quiff's cos I couldn't bend the lower bolt hole to attach it to the body, so it's not attached there. My cap is also now on the wonk but at least the neck is solid! May try and replace with a quiff one later.

The car was still cutting out so after I moved it went in to the garage saturday gone (run by an ex williams F1 mechanic of 11 years no less 8) ) who changed the ht leads and timed the engine as he said it was a mile out.

So far, my problem is solved.

I still want to change the pierburg off as I'm convinced it's shagged - it idles all over the place and is still chewing through fuel, and there's still crap in my tank (though not much) but I don't have the space to get the tank off nor an airline to clean it out with if it's left on the car, so that will have to wait a while.

Enough rambling, back to work!
Chriselias, let us know how you get one once the car is back together!

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
Okay.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Now that's over with… an update.

Put everything back together.

New tank.
New rear shocks
ANOTHER new fuel filter.
New rear brake flexis
New rear brake shoes
new rear bearings

and…

It's not sucking fuel though!! Won't start.

I pulled the pipe off the fuel pump and sucked it through myself with no problem. No harder that drinking a mcdonals milk shake! lol

So there's nothing wrong with the pickup.

I'm fearful theres something up with the pump, or the cam (intermediary shaft??) that powers the pump. but thinking it must be the pump itself as if it was the shaft it would also affect the dizzy?

I know the engine runs as if i pour petrol into the carb it fires hence me thinking it can't be the shaft.

So now i'm a little miffed off. i need a new fuel pump to try.

Can't seem to find them anywhere though!

Could i fit an electric fuel pump anyone??

i'm losing the will to live with this car!!

Back to the top
Pull the pipe that goes from the fuel pump to carb (or the gubbins bolted to front of cam cover), stick it on an old rag. Remove lead from coil so engine won't fire. Get someone to crank engine and you should get healthy spurts of petrol. If not, pump no good.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
passed gsf on the way home and thought i'd pick up a pump seeing as i was there.

didn't test the old one - just though i'd may as well change it seeing that i changed everything bloody else to do with the fuel system!!

the car started - and then i was really stumped!!

the car ran for about 15 mins until i switched it off. but the thing that puzzled me was that it doesn't seem to be pulling fuel through the tranparent fuel filter!

surely it wouldn't run for that long with just the fuel in the carb - it was on full choke and i was revving it slightly!!

I'm not confident to take it out until i can see lashings of fuel through the filter!

Anyone wanna buy a golf??

Back to the top
I don't mean this to sound insulting, so my apologies if it does, but are you sure there's definitely no fuel going through the filter?

When I had the stalling problems the filter would be about 5mm deep in fuel on tickover, though since it's been sorted there's considerably less fuel going through when the car idles, even when cold. I had to look right under the filter to see any fuel.

Just a thought, I'm nowhere near experienced enough to offer more in depth advice  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Tyeness - you were right you know!

There was fuel going through the filter. the car is not stuttering anymore. I've done about 30 miles in it now and it hasn't done it once. but since i've put in the new tank, and fuel system, is running a bit rough. It's ok but feels like it needs a good timing, and tune. maybe even a service.

and i've even noticed a little puff of blue smoke on startup. Only on start up though so i'm thinking its the rocker cover breather that's blocked.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions along the way. I'll put some pics up soon so show my exploits!

:wink:  :wink:

Back to the top
Magic!

Really chuffed it's running better. Currently mine is tankless on the lift at the garage down the street. V friendly owner is doing the labour for ?30, and the tank is being sent to a company in Peterbrough that acid clean it for ?45.

I though it was sorted but it was very naughty on the way back from a festival on Monday so I had a chat with the mechanic and thought it seemed like a fair deal considering I've no tools or space.

Will report back on how it runs after I've driven it next weekend.

In the meantime I picked up one of those little filters from Demon Tweeks, can't recommend highly enough, such a nice little bit of kit for the sake of ?15 (filter + replacement elements) everybody should do it!

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
Right then - the tank was cleaned and my fuel filter is full of crap already - going to change the element in the hope that this is the last of the junk that's been flushed through after the tank cleaning.

Also ordering a Weber as soon as I get paid so I should be all good by next week!

Car was great this weekend, did 560 motorway miles without a flinch, purring all the way. - response between 70 - 80mph is really good when overtaking, hit 95 for the first time since I got him (to shut up a car full of laughing chavs that crawled past at 75mph in a rusty clio  :twisted: ) Seems he just gets a bit grumpy around town on low fuel :(

Really happy with it, can't wait to get a weber on now!

Cheers
Mat

Back to the top
did you ever get your weber??

how your car going now mate?

see my new thread…

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45500

after all that work!!
lol
 :banghead:  :roll:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.