Skip navigation

the dream..........

Back to the top

the dream..........

Exterior
It is black at the moment, and I am thinking of keeping that colour, half of me wants to go with a pale sky blue metalic modern colour with it.
Id like to smooth out the sills down the side and remove the door handles, going for a solenoid entry.
No body kit just a chin spoiler and slight flaring of the arches
Debadged grill with bonnett brow spoiler
Crystal headlights
DTM mirrors
De badged rear
Audi alloys (dunno which ones yet, polished though)

Interior
this is where im a bit unsure.
I want to try and fit an Audi TT dash and dials if thats poss, anyone ever tried, or heard of that?
leather all around
electric widows
small boot install

Engine
total novice on engines, without sounding like a girl, Id like a shiney one………. that sounds so gay…….

anyone know who does shiney engines?  

i think you need a saxo

Back to the top

fulltiimejunglist said

Im sorry but all he said is he wants smoothed door handles (I do)

And flared arches (I do, plus bigger)

Why dont you just be positive about what the kid wants to do with his car.

Least its another one gettign saved.

Doesnt sound like it would be taistless tbf….

Audi wheels is maybe a bit inaccurate, maybe say 13" 14"

Max 15"

Fair play really enit.

so there is a few on ere that talk sense, i had to re read what i wrote, maybe i shouldnt have mentioned putting a massive 747 spolier on it, or paintin it pink, or cossie grills, oh hang on i dint

Back to the top

wooders said

Exterior
It is black at the moment, and I am thinking of keeping that colour, half of me wants to go with a pale sky blue metalic modern colour with it.
Id like to smooth out the sills down the side and remove the door handles, going for a solenoid entry.
No body kit just a chin spoiler and slight flaring of the arches
Debadged grill with bonnett brow spoiler
Crystal headlights
DTM mirrors
De badged rear
Audi alloys (dunno which ones yet, polished though)

Interior
this is where im a bit unsure.
I want to try and fit an Audi TT dash and dials if thats poss, anyone ever tried, or heard of that?
leather all around
electric widows
small boot install

Engine
total novice on engines, without sounding like a girl, Id like a shiney one………. that sounds so gay…….

anyone know who does shiney engines?  

i think you need a saxo

Don't beat about the bush Wooders, tell us how you you really feel  :lol:
If he'd bought a cabby I'm sure you would've been blunt  :lol:  :lol:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top

fulltiimejunglist said

Least its another one gettign saved.

another one getting butchered

Back to the top
Least hes thinking of putting some money into it, i bet yours has enough rust etc. That wasnt meant to be offensive.

Mines got it, its standard, comes with the name.

Think about it.

But tbf dont ruin it.

Stay simple, retro, euro.

No lexus lights.

Back to the top
Ffs, does this forum ever encourage or help anyone who doesnt want a standard car??

Me n my friends have been made most unwelcome here and at the mk1 meets simply because of our wheel choice and suspension, even though our mk1s are body standard, it really is daft.

Matey, i suggest you sign up to a more helpful forum, u dont get any of this on vwgolfmk2.com, and you dont HAVE to own a mk2 to speak up! :roll:

Back to the top
hence why i've been signed up to this forum for 3 years and not said much, just seen in gradually start becoming anal about everything

instead of hindering people, why not just give advice - a gentle push in the right direction and keep them on the "right" track otherwise the forums gonna get a name for itself (Performance VW the other month ring a bell? and tbh that car despite what some people say was really well done with a lot more time and effort gone into it than most of you put together)

the forums about owning a mk1, not about keeping every one of them the same… its about making the cars individual and your own, otherwise whats the point? they'll all go around with 9 spokes and P-slots… all those BBS's will be thrown in the bin?! no exhausts, clear headlights, rear lenses, engine mods, chrome bumpers on S2's etc etc you get where i'm coming from

alot of you guys cant really talk because you putting 20VT, 16V's on webers and VR6's in them… so what makes that ok?

StevieH, keep it VAG+ and you'll go a long way! (VAG+ meaning as long as you keep what your doing to VAG parts then all is good, start bolting on none VAG parts and it'll become even more negative here)

by the way, the Venom this (R32 look) front bumper looks pretty cool, always wanted that on a caddy

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
Steve, just ignore the muppets mate its your car and you do what u want with it. I dont think any of your ideas sound crazy, a few are not to my taste right enough.

If you need any info drop me a PM and I'll give you my MSN address. Ive done some of the things your planning on doing so should be able to point you in the right direction.

Heres a link to my thread should give you some ideas and inspiration.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14876&highlight=

Back to the top
hmmm

I blame the weather making people so negative  :roll: always been told if you can't say anything good/nice you shouldn't say anything at all

when I see a modded Mk1, I look at how well the work carried out on it has been done to achieve the final style! which may not be to my own taste but I still appriciate it!

keep the work high quality without cutting corners and create the Mk1 that you want  :y:  I want to see pics!  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I don't mind mods, but I can't see the point in doing body mods like removing door handles and smoothing out the swage lines

The Mk1 is a beautiful, elegant design, designed by one of the all time greats Giorgetto Giugiaro. What makes people think a bit of bog can improve on his work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgetto_Giugiaro

I am not against mods, mine has been modded slightly, I just think you have to be careful. Most of my favourite Golfs are modded in some way, but I have seen so many Mk1's and Mk2's that just look chav.

It is a matter of personal taste in the end and what someone does to their car is up to them

I think the main thing is to make sure it's a good job. A scruffy mod sticks out like a sore thumb

These are some of my favourites

Back to the top
ok lots of negitives here.

one thing. if you mean sills as in the lip on the roof and the door sills (along the bottom of the car) don't do it they are structural.

remove the swage but dont just fill it with bog get it welded up and smoothed or in 2 years the bog will fall out and you'll be back to square 1.
or put a narrow black insert in to keep the break up it adds to the car.

no handles will fail an MOT i'm afraid so look at audi handles (bit 90's now though)

arch flaring on a golf is more than just rooling them from the back. they are shaped and double walled. you will have to add material to flare the archs. (easy with a bit of time but will make the car heavier)

dtm's dont look right (wrong shape car) look at little flags for that old school euro look.

dash is alot of work (tt is wider and the dash is deeper never mind the shape) the best dash coversion is a polo dash ( tt dash is very mk2) or a leather dash looks nice too. (a new city golf has a polo dash in it)

electric windows is doable and if your going leather you might want to make up new door cards anyway meaning you'll hide the hole for the winder. if you can find some get a different window regulator and keep the orignal ones.

best shiney engine is a clean and well cared for one. forget shiney, elbow grease works wonders. (think james may and the porsche episode)

just remember its a 25+ year old car mods need to be in keeping to look right (think xr2i with jap kit on  :sick: )

Back to the top
I quote from point 4 of our Club's mission statement:

4. We're trying to preserve the cars. You'll find much more information here about how to keep your Golf on the road, find parts, fix problems and so on. We're not really covering the 'modified' scene as there is plenty of choice out there already, and we feel it's high time that somebody paid attention to standard cars, with a view to future classic status.

We don't aim to be the be all and end all of modified cars, there are plenty of clubs/forums dealing with that.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and a mature, sensible debate on it.

So don't expect everyone to like a highly modified car, especially on this forum as that is not what we are about. However, most of our users are mature enough to realise we all have different tastes, have a "each to their own" attitude and get along both on here and in real life society. Hence we don't turn any Mk1 enthusiast away.

Banner

Back to the top
you say you have a few grand tucked away, double and possibly tripple to get anyway near some of the cars you have seen :banghead:

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

Ffs, does this forum ever encourage or help anyone who doesnt want a standard car??

Me n my friends have been made most unwelcome here and at the mk1 meets simply because of our wheel choice and suspension, even though our mk1s are body standard, it really is daft.

Matey, i suggest you sign up to a more helpful forum, u dont get any of this on vwgolfmk2.com, and you dont HAVE to own a mk2 to speak up! :roll:

Bit OTT

StevieH asked for our opinion, we gave it  :lol:
Some for, some against. That's life  :lol:
However, a vast majority is constructive and I'm sure StevieH has taken on board many valid points (rules mine out  :lol: )

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

Which meets were you made unwelcome at?

Back to the top

GavB95 said

If your smoothing out the swage line I wouldn't completely remove it, just weld up and smooth out the locating holes that hold the trim, so that you still have a groove inwards, but no trim or holes.

See here:

The swage lines indent is still there but the trim holes deleted, this looks loads better than completely smoothing it out, doesn't ruin the looks of the car and gives it a cleaner, more modern look.

Everyone who is using this thread to debate stock vs modded mk1's go elsewhere on the forum, Ste just asked for helpful advice.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
i think the mk1 needs the line to retain its look, they defo dont suit it being removed completely in my opinion , but the pics above look ok

Back to the top
im gettin, apart from the abuse, what I asked for now, big thanks to those who are helping, Im sorted for colour, interior, possibly for wheels, I am 100% on the engine now (TT 225bhp), I am even becoming hooked on the chrome in the swages, especially when seein what needs to be done for removing them, bigger brakes, and coilovers to drop it low, the door handles still bug me though, it is somethin, I believe needs to be changed, or removed, I dont like the Audi 90 ones, so thats a bit of a sticking point, so thanks again, and once I start on the stripping, I will start with the pics.  :wink:

Back to the top
So are going with the metallic grey/silver & black leather interior??
Not sure about the engine tho' sure you don't want something with a bit of uuumph  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
yeh dark grey, black leather seats and door cards, audi tt dash, tt engine, polished bbs rim, highly i may add, an I think it may work with chrome swages, chrome grill surround, de badged though, single headlights, crystal type, mirrors, ok i think bin the dtms, ive seen a few styles that I like, lil tiny ones, flared arches, smoothed tailgate, keyless entry, so dunno what to do with them bleedin door handles, smallish stainless exhaust, not a fan of big boomin exhaust, small rear bumber, in black or chrome, and I quite fancy the no valance look to the front.

there, that is a not too different version of what i had walked in here with, now with studying alot of pictures, an a lil help from some folk who know, I have a more mk1 friendly idea of what I am gonna do……

dare I say it? hows this sound?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.