Skip navigation

the dream..........

Back to the top

the dream..........

If your smoothing out the swage line I wouldn't completely remove it, just weld up and smooth out the locating holes that hold the trim, so that you still have a groove inwards, but no trim or holes.

This looks so much better than completely smoothing out the side of the car. When ever I see a completely smoothed side panel I cringe at the thought of tubs and tubs of filler just waiting to crack. 8O

As for the TT dash, I've seen it done well on Corrado's. There is/was a guy on the corrado forum called Jay Renshaw who converted his corrado to a TT dash and from memory he offered the service of fitting TT dashes (he may not want to do a mk1 though?)

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Never seen a good job done on those swage lines, even if they've not cracked up its so hard to get the shape right straight down the car. As its in the middle of the car its really noticable when done badly as well.

Good luck if you take it on but I promise you its a ton of work, probably a hell of a lot more than you realise.

Also agree that the other mods you mentioned are all a bit dated as well - thats not to say theres anything wrong with them per say.

I think the difference is that in the 90's people saw the mk1 golf as an ageing hot hatch whereas now most people now see it as a modern classic - hence the shift in opinion towards keeping standard/subtle mods.

Back to the top
smoooothed mk1's look like a bath tub!

personly i think your plans sound pants

like every1 has said why buy an old car to make it into a flashy bmw

please sell it to someone who will actualy reaspect teh mk1 loooks and OLD bits

anything more than a smoothed tailgate on a mk1 just looks pants.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

retromk1 said

smoooothed mk1's look like a bath tub!

personly i think your plans sound pants

like every1 has said why buy an old car to make it into a flashy bmw

please sell it to someone who will actualy reaspect teh mk1 loooks and OLD bits

anything more than a smoothed tailgate on a mk1 just looks pants.

straight to the point :mrgreen:

Back to the top
See here:
 http://heavenonwheels.…t/index.php?showtopic=131

Nicely done dash conversion (what is the dash from??), leather interior, ICE build in boot, smoothed(debadged) tailgate, slight flare on arches? and nice (read expensive) alloys.

The overall effect is very subtle and just tweaks at the original design.

If you were to get someone to do this for you I'd say it'd cost a lot, but if you do as much as possible you could achieve something similar but with your own personal touches. It's all in the minor details though, and less is more.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
the Golf in that link is tasty!

Back to the top
im liking the pic in the link, now thats the kinda thing I joined here for…………..

I dont know if Im liking that much chrome on the outside though

Back to the top

StevieH said

im liking the pic in the link, now thats the kinda thing I joined here for…………..

how can you not like that much chrome its the new gold dont you know :wink:

Back to the top
ive found a couple of dash's that have gone into mk1's

Back to the top

bens_cab said

StevieH said

how can you not like that much chrome its the new gold dont you know :wink:

just seen some pics of ur car, I like tha, but I thought the mirrors, an the wipers was too much

Back to the top

StevieH said

ive found a couple of dash's that have gone into mk1's

Uuurghhhhhh!!
 :hand:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top

How does he switch his lights on? :lol:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
Dont fall out with that dash, def wouldn't have a cage with it.

Banner

Back to the top
i don think a cage is the right choice with it, but Ive seen it done now, theres a dash on ebay, but i dont fancy paying 3ton

Back to the top
I think with mods, you can go too far until you reach the point when you can't actually call the car a mk1 as everything that makes it a mk1 has gone, i'm going to have to echo the oppiniuon that less is more.

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
gotta say the TT dash doesnt look bad at all when done properly, i've got some pics of a caddy which has been done that looks so much better and tidier than that, i'll get them posted up

StevieH… i know where you coming from when you want to tidy things up and modernise the car a little, but you wont have much luck trying to convince the hardcore owners her  :roll:

i say go ahead and give it a go, take you time but dont take the car to far from its origionality/identity… TT dash is a nice touch but you'll probably have to give the car a modern paint job in a  VAG dark blue/black or grey just to bring it all up to date rather than just bolt on bits here n there… could end up being pricey to get it looking just right

i'll get them pics up when i get a chance this evening mate

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
cheers buddy, I found a nice colour on ere today actually, this one……….

someone tell what/where/how the hell I get my engine bay lookin like this? and I will kiss ya

this is a 2nd car for me, so it can spend a few months off road being played with no problems, like I said Im willing to learn……

btw, what does VAG mean?

Back to the top
that grey will go really well with the dash, worth maybe getting half suede/leather interior to match  :wink:

as for the shiny engine, alot of degreaser and a company that does chrome plating, i'm personally not a big fan of it but i dont like the fresh clean out of the factory look with engine covers, the pics i have of this caddy has a tidy 20VT engine… gonna get my mate to host the pics n i'll get them up veeery shortly

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top

StevieH said

cheers buddy, I found a nice colour on ere today actually, this one……….

someone tell what/where/how the hell I get my engine bay lookin like this? and I will kiss ya

this is a 2nd car for me, so it can spend a few months off road being played with no problems, like I said Im willing to learn……

btw, what does VAG mean?

Not only a nice colour, but a very nice car  :y:
That's a goooood mod, if I was to be really picky those mirrors aren't my cup of tea  :roll: But I'd love to own it   :pray:  
VAG : Volkswagen Audi Group me thinks, or summat in German!!!!  :lol:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
quite like the mirrors………….

I have this car as my back ground now,

id be more inclined for polished rims and black leather interior, but it is defo a goal……..
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.