Skip navigation

More work on the little black GTI...

Back to the top

More work on the little black GTI...

go trackdays….its the best of both worlds!! and a compromise for all, stiffen the chassis up with braces and a cage, then get some proper seats + harnesses in there (you will go faster  :wink:  trust me as you will have more feel for whats happening),

move the battery to the boot for better balance, and then get a plastic bonnet, hatch and windows to lower the c of g.

and get some proper stoppers on there  :lol: big brakes and handling sorted is easily worth 20bhp+ on track, check out my thread and catch me on msn if you need anything, mines about 1/2 way to how I want it now, and it hasnt cost me a masive amount, with your 16v engine you should be easily faster than me if you can sort the conering out.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
Nice project!

Back to the top
Those who saw the car at Midlands Festival of Transport will have observed that the interior needed a bit of a tidy up. So, I set to work. Firstly I stripped all fittings out the interior:

The electrics took a little longer to disconnect, and included the fuel pump wiring as well as the rear lights, wiper, heated rear window, handbrake and some speaker wires (which are present but not connected to speakers).

It took around half a day to wire brush the rusty or flaky areas, and a lot of vacuuming up. Then I sprayed it in stone chip, which is a thickish paint and gives a matt black effect. I had planned to do 3 coats but I'd used 2 cans up with just the one coat! So I hope its enough.

I've also removed the handbrake, that's been wire brushed clean, covered in stonechip too (acts as a decent primer) and sprayed in black. Its hanging up to dry at the moment.

Back to the top
ah the art of polishing a turd :mrgreen:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

ah the art of polishing a turd :mrgreen:

:lol:

Stop messing around Paul and do it properly  :wink:  junk the stock seat, with proper harnesses and seats you will go faster and the wieght is no extra, infact you may save wieght depending on the seat you go for…

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
^^^^what he said stop being a gay boy and buy some bucket seats and harneses you never know next time your out in the valleys your be able to strap one of them there sheep in the passenger seat :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
All work on the car, except for routine maintenance and replacing anything that breaks (to keep it running), has stopped!

Back to the top

bens_cab said

whys that ?? have you fallen for the 4x4 scene hows it going any more roof moments :lol:

The daily driver STILL isn't working right, so my runaround at the moment is this black GTI. Hence, I have no space to be able to do any work on it and I need to keep it usable. Once the daily driver is sorted, my list is:

bowskill's orange car - lots of corrosion to deal with
VR6 - lots of corrosion to deal with + possible respray
Scirocco - lots of corrosion to deal with

(Spot the trend…) And once that little lot's out the way, I can think about sorting the respray on the black one out (might give it a go myself) so my funds will be needed for this, rather than stuff I want but don't need.

Back to the top
so whats happened to the daily ?? didnt it like falling over or do you have something else to report :lol:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

so whats happened to the daily ?? didnt it like falling over or do you have something else to report :lol:

It was replaced with another similar, but this one has been sold to me without enough electricity in it, and it currently has only half the number of batteries it should do so it won't start without a booster pack……. So I can't really go out in it, flip the bonnet and connect a booster every time I need to restart it. And it has the wrong transmission too.

Back to the top
nice paul :) good thread, never read it all the way through before.

can i ask what tyre sizes you run on the 9 spoke alloys?
standard is 175 70 13 isnt it, but yours seem smaller? have you done anything with the rears, as the fronts (in some pics) look like 185 60 13 yokos.

i run a set of bbs 7x15 alloys with R888s all round daily, but im thinking of going down size wise, i have a spare set of tarantula alloys in the garden not doing anything so i might aswell replace the tyres on them and give it a go.

ah i hate choosing, do i stick with 15s and it look silly, or 14s or standard 13s.

oh if this helps, i always want to track the car, but still havent, so it's nothing as serious as yours, it's my only 1 car, a daily, that i like to drive and enjoy, with nearly all chassis mods done without solid top mounts and custom wishbones etc.

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

bigdave said

but you know if you had the cash it would be one of these sat in the tool box:

:wink:

that looks familiar im sure iv got that exact one ;-)

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
Update: car has now worn out, and is being scrapped:

Back to the top
That's a shame, didn't think it was that bad, but then I didn't think you had it any more. Symptoms of not being about on here much this year!!

What do you have now Paul, silver one??

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
shame,theres a lot of valuable parts left on there if you was to cut it up? coud be recycled into other golfs?

Back to the top
OMG Dude! That doesn't look that bad at all! I've seen much much worse.. Surelly someone would have paid good money for that..

Anyhoooo…has it gone yet? I'd take the front panel off your hands if not!

Real shame to see another one go..

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
The shell is in pretty good condition.....well it was, until I lifted it crudely using a chain.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.