Skip navigation

1600 GTi re-build

Back to the top

1600 GTi re-build

can' wait to get to that point. but as you can see from my thread i'm at the bare shell stage. i'm the same i love the style of the original car. but i think giving it a better stance will enhance the look, and i have a couple of nice sets of wheels nocking about.(bbs rm's, zender turbos and p slots not to mention the original 79 gti alloys) so i may swap around as i please.. the  wolfsburg steering wheels are nice too

Back to the top
time for a bit of an update me thinks.  ALL of the welding is now done!  :mrgreen: and i acctualy mean it this time lol.

here's the hole i started with.  more had to be chopped out but i didn't get a photo.

and fron inside with some of it already done.

the outside

inside done

and seam sealed

whilst i had the sealer out i did the bit by the screen that i had finished.  still needs doing from underneeth though.

also started taking the bushings out of the wishbones  :twisted:

the plan for this week is to get everything sealed, passanger floor pan painted, wishbones seam welded and painted, inner wings sealed stone chiped and painted.  won't be able to get the front built back up until i get paid an get new bushes etc.  im sure there will be more stuff for me to do so i'll keet you updated with what happens
Tom

Back to the top
thought i'd let you guys know what i've been up to these past few weeks.

got the wishbones seam welded.  getting some paint and bushings for them tomorow.

inner arches stonechiped

and primerd

put the door on today as well to get a look at the car.

as you can see this side of the car is pretty much done.  have spent ages doing prep so although it doesn't look like much i have been buisy.
more next week.

also got something a little different planned for the paint as well, untill i can afford a propper respray at least, but more on that when i do it  :twisted:

Back to the top
Nice work!

Back to the top
right about time i put some new pics up of what i've been doing.

made a little contraption to get a bush out that i put in the wrong way  :roll:

waiting on a new cv joint for the other side as the old one fell apart lol.  then i can get that side done too.  then brake lines, fuel system, get it running and paint it, then put the interor back in!  target is june so fingers crossed.

Back to the top
Well done, keep at it and you should meet your June target.

Back to the top
i've got a bit more work done on the car this week, hopeing to have it runnung by the end of the month.  getting my dad to help me with the brake lines this weekend so that will be another step towards the mot.  my camera's ran out of battery so no pics until tomorow but heres what i've managed so far:

front left suspension re-built
anit-roll bar bushings replaced
filler neck painted and refitted
primered front and rear pannels
stone chipped front pannel and sills.
removed old underseal and replaced with new stuff
re-paintedexhaust heat shields
reinforced the sump with some 3mm plate :lol:
scuttle pannel primed, twice  :banghead:
more prep work

hopefully my new tank will arrive tomorow and i'm going to get my bumpers, arches and seats out of storage  tomorow.  my wiring loom should be on the way soon too (cheers dubhighland).  i'll get some piccys up tomorow night.
Tom

Back to the top
Looking top mate!!
Gonna last another 25 years now I reckon..

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
8O  8O  8O  Tom…. that's bloody brilliant… serious amount of work you've got through already fella!!!!  Haven't caught up reading this one for a a while and it's really progressed.  Well done mate  :clap:

Back to the top
blans - yeah, cheers i hope so :wink:
spud - been trying to get it done for summer and realised that summers not that far away.  was too lazy to start with lol  :roll:

got the pics loaded up to the computer so here they are…

bit more paint here.

and here

some primer at the back

and the front

and some on the scuttle, ended in this.  now rubbed back down needs finishing though

stone chip on the sills (done both sides)

and on the valance

hole here

welded and filled

heat shields painted

passanger suspension

shrinking box of bits

got my interior back today and couldn't resist :roll:

drivers bolster not too bad!

rear seat ok

couldn't resist this either

got everything i need for the fuel system ordered today from CQ's so that should be here soon then i can get it running!  loom will be on the way soon too and dads giving me a  hand with the brake pipes on sunday so should start to come together quite quickly, with any luck!
till next time :wink:
tom

Back to the top
got the front brake pipes done earlier and started on the front to rear lines but ran out of pipe.  i'll get some more tomorow and finish them on tuesday.

i need a bit of help with them too…  
when i took/cut the pipes of the pressure regulator, i didn't note which ones when where so if anyone has a picture of this area it would be really helpfull.  

also, my tank has arived and the rest of the fuel system should be here tomorow or tuesday so i'l be able to get that on this week.

thanks for any help
Tom

Back to the top
got some updates on the way once i get my camera fixed.  it's looking a little bit different now  :twisted:   neerly there, or at least it feels like it.  it's painted, brakes are done, fuel system is done.  just a little bit of wiring left then i can get it running, then roof linning, windows and mot.  i have a target set for the 19th of june so fingers crossed and i'm working flat out on it now whenever i'm not at work.  will get pics up asap.

Back to the top
think its about time i show you lot what i've been up to recently.    

first coat

underneeth pretty much done

and the top coat

the plan was to keep it matt but the matt lacquer i got has turned out to be more of a satin finish.  it's not shiney though so thats ok.  the origional plan was to stick with silver but after hearing how hard it is to spray to a decent finish i decided against it for a 1st spray job, really pleased with how it has turned out though, especially as the paint is hammerite rust beater primer lol.

been trying to get it running recently too but it's been 1 thing after another.  the problem i have now is that i have current going into and out of the relay, but none at the fuel pump.  checked all the fuse's and there all good so now im thinking it might be a dodgy fuse box, what do you think? help please  :dontknow:

Tom

Back to the top
Tom stick a bit in the tecnical section about getting that engine going bud.  Love to help but I wouldn't know what it is.  Your cracking on there mate!!  Nice one  :wink:

Back to the top
like the colour mate

nice choice of paper!!!! :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
Any update on this fella… don't think I've forgotten about your motor…it's on my wish… errrr watching list  :wink: … like the colour your going for… please tell me the kids aint getting that paper for xmas this year though!?!?  :lol:

Back to the top
you sure you have current running through the relay?

or do you have Voltage?

if its voltage check the voltage befroe and after the fuel pump, if you have voltage on the earth at the pump then you have a knackeered earth line…

this would still give voltages at the relay

Back to the top
haven't been on here for a while so time for a bit of an update.

please tell me the kids aint getting that paper for xmas this year though!?!?  

i'm only 19 spud, no kids for me yet i don't think lol, parents might end up getting it though.

thanks for the help smillsey but in the end all it was, was a broken earth wire  on the seperate coil loom bit? had to take it to a garage in the end but only cost a tenner and now it runs!  however on the way to the garage dad got a bit eager to get there and accelerated too quick from a junction, forgetting that he was towing me, basically pulling the towing eye through the rest of the panel, twisting the crossmember in doing so.  :cry:

i now have a new one on and painted and will be putting the lights, grill, wings and bumper back on tomorrow so there will be pics to follow then.

tom

Back to the top
Was wondering how this was getting on!

Looking good 8)

Back to the top
update time again and its a big one - ITS ON THE ROAD!!

well it is and it isn't or it was but isn't anymore :roll:
passed it's mot a few weeks ago, then i couldn't get insurance (19yr old and GTI don't go well lol), finally found a resonable price so i went for that, got it taxed, came back from uni in my mk3 hoping to swap them over.  however after 50 miles or so something in the gearbox area has gone bang so im back with the mk3 shed.

was amazing to acctually get to drive it though, and it was so quick!!  i know its completely standard but when your used to mk2 polos and mk3 oil burning golfs, it was nutts lol.  surprised a few novas and saxos anyway lol.

i need to get some pictures of it still but that will have to wait until next time i go home, hopefully in a few weeks, but for now im just buzzing about the next drive lol can't wait, it has made all the effort worth while.

Tom
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.