Skip navigation

1600 GTi re-build

Back to the top

1600 GTi re-build

almost forgot to mention that i found this lovely little lot. :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Great to see another one being saved, looks like all the usual mk1 rot spots :roll: . Definitely worth removing the rear beam as the rot in the photo above goes into the box section that the rear beam is mounted off. Unfortunetly you cannot assess/repair this area properly without the beam out the way.

Good luck

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
cheers for the advise markwon and as promised, i have got a bit more done today.  got the beam out after a while.  didn't realise it was connected to the brake pressure regulator  :dontknow: at first.  will refurb this at some point with poly bushes etc.

once this was out i could have a look at the mounting areas and there not acctually too bad :?.  its just everything around them that has rotten  :banghead:

thankfully the inner sill is ok so at least i have something to work around.  i chopped out a bit of the outer sill and inbetween this and the inner sill was this…

must be an origional sticker of one of the panels which must make it 25 years old!  its in better condition than the car  :(

anyway afterwards i cut out some more of the rot so that i can hopefully start to put some new metal back in tomorow.

more tomorrow hopefully
Tom

Back to the top
got the area around the beam mounting point sorted yesterday.

primed and painted for now

Tom

Back to the top
got quite a bit done over the past few days so here goes…

before

after

jacking point welded back on to the repairs that i made.

then i had to do this  8O

so that i could get at this…

after

then the quater slowley welded back into place.

cut out and repaired some rot in the rear foot wells.

and finally started to clean and treat some of the floor.

thats as far as i have got for now.  plans are to clean, paint and protect the rear underside of the car, behind the tank, beam etc (i took the tank out and found a nice aray of holes in that as well :banghead: ).

then to get the rear panel on, finish the arch on the drivers side, get the drivers side in primer.  then turn it around and start on the next side.  will keep you posted

Tom

Back to the top
keep up the excellent work mate. is there a planned deadline, or is it a case of it's done when it's done?

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
top work 8)  

vw_tees

Back to the top
thanks for the intereset guys, i've been slowley cracking on with it and it's time for another update.  hoping to get i finished for easter (ish) but it really depends on how often i have to work etc.

time for the piccys

drivers side beam mounting area sorted, sealed and mostly primed awaiting stone chip and a top coat

started to smooth the rear wiper

still need to do the holes for the badges as i have an alternative badge planned for the rear.

started sanding the inside ready for some paint

got the area behind the fuel tank mostly primed however i still need to do the area around the brake regulator.

i have also cut the lip off the arches and welded the iner and outer arches together rather than getting them rolled.  this way there is nowhere for water to get trapped.  hopefully this picture gives you an idea.

finally i have cleaned and primed the entire drivers side floor but i forgot to take a picture of this :banghead: will get one soon.

thats all for now

Tom

Back to the top
some serious work going on there!!
good skills mate, bet you can't wait to get it painted!!

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
still a while untill it gets painted but im getting there slowly, can't wait though.

more progress,

drivers side pans…

final bit of welding done to this arch untill the new rear panel is on.

bit of filler on the inside of the arch to hide creases from the pressing and some of the spot welds, however i ran out half way through.  :roll:

finally i got some primer ready for some stone chip and then a top coat.

more soon.

Tom

Back to the top
Hi like what your doing
I did the same with my rear arches ,
cut off lip of the repair panels and welded inner to outer
Stu

Back to the top
stu:  think that it seems to be the best way to prevent tyre rub however it does take a while.  

anyway i have got a bit more done this week…

rear pasanger jacking point had a bit of rot around it so i cut it out, made a template for a new piece,

welded it in,

got the jacking point back on and treated it all with some rust remover just in case,

i have also rubbed the filler down on the inner arches and they are looking much better now.

just need to get the rear of both inner arches sorted so that i have something to weld the new rear pannel on.  once that is done i can get that in place and get the outer arches sorted.  getting there slowley.
more soon…

Tom

Back to the top
bit more done today so here goes…

before

after

before

after

started to tidy up parts of the rear beam

because i got some new bits in the post today waiting to go on…

thats all for now but there will be more to follow soon..
Tom

Back to the top
i have finaly got the rear panel on and it acctually looks as though something has been done to the car now.  it was a bit of a strugle to get the gaps right but we got there in the end.

now for the pics

i'm  pretty pleased with the overall fit but there is still a lot of welding that needs doing to it.  the lower half of the panel is not secure at the moment as i'm giong to wait until i have the rear corners on so that i can get everything lined up nicely.

more later in the week hopefuly

Tom

Back to the top
got the bits at the sides of the rear lights welded up today.  there fitting nicely so im prety chuffed :D

tried to get this part as tight as i possibly could.  they are brazed on from the factory to seal them from water etc.  i havn't got the kit needed for this but was thinking of using solder/lead or something of that sort.  does anyone know of the best way of doing this?

as i got the panel on the cheap, there were a few dings in it so i have filled them and will get it sanded back tomorow.  also ground back where the welds had penetrated through and skimed over these.

finaly got the arb half painted and also the one mounting bracket.  will be able to get the bushes in and am hopefully getting some stainless bolts foe it later on in the week.

more tomorow…

Tom

Back to the top
Love the bikini bottom template mate lol !!!  Excellent work…keep it going mate it's going to be a belter of a car when it's finished!!!

Back to the top
Top work :D , looks you've been cracking on with it! Something i need to do :roll:

Back to the top
no work on the golf today, but there is a good reason.  

notice how high the polo on the right is (my daily run around)

and then after a good ol' battering with the lowering stick…..

ready for vanfest!!! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
it's been a few months since i've updated on here and i've got a fair amount done.  this is gonna be very picture heavy so i hope you like.

this is how i have left the car sitting today.  hope you agree that i have been cracking on with it and now i hope that all these pics will upload without killing my PC lol.

coments and advice welcomed
Tom

Back to the top
Good work Tom, looks strong and you've done loads! How much have you got left to do?

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.