Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf Cab

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Cab

Well I looks like im gunna be here to stay, with the wiring being in bad condition it looks like its needed to all come out. Im gunna strip the car completly and give it a paint whilst I'm at it.

Heres the Car when I bought it.

After I stripped all the vinyl paint someone had painted the hood with.

Half Done.

Complete

Start of strip down.

All arches are like this.

However I did find two spots of rust.

All in all the cars solid and I'm happy with the way it stands, I'll be concentrating on getting the engine out very soon. Also doing prep work for paint.

:D

Back to the top
Been hard at work again today removed a few bits from the engine bay including the loom.

Offending Fuse box.

Also took the time to give the engine bay a bit of a clean.

Tested my cleaning solution on part of the gearbox also.

Back upto the unit to drop the lump now.  :lol:

Back to the top
good work chap, no hanging around with progress there, keep it up

Back to the top
Whats ya cleaning solution, looks to wip that muck off

Back to the top
Just got in and the engine is on the floor  :lol:

The cleaning solution is called G101 If I remember rightly, my mate dropped off 50litres of the stuff. I think its actually used for cleaning interiors of cars but I seem to use it for everything, its pretty damn good stuff.

Back to the top
http://www.smartvaleti…ndex.php?cmd=cat&catid=28

:o

Just had a quick search and I think I'll slow down on using it seem as though it costs so much, I also have 10 litres of the Autofresh and that too is really good stuff.

Back to the top
Good work, theres no turning back now :D

Back to the top
Heres yesterdays update I had a day off it Monday, I just couldnt get into the swing of things.

Engine out.

Time to get some cleaning done.

Ready for a good brush with thinners and a final wipe down before I start prepping for paint. I love it being so clean under the bonnet, I cant imagine what its going to be like when its actually painted and all goes back in gleaming.  :lol:

Back to the top
Boring update not much to see but Its another step closer to being painted. Rubbed all the old sealer/engine oil off out of the engine bay with thinners.

Ill give it another once over tomorrow and start rubbing it all down.

Soon be done.

Back to the top
Looking good :D
What did you use to get rid of all the old Wax oil.

Back to the top

nath69uk said

Rubbed all the old sealer/engine oil off out of the engine bay with thinners.

:P

Back to the top

Robbo said

Looking good :D
What did you use to get rid of all the old Wax oil.

thinners are yer best bet 8) im using white spirit on mine.. but you have to be careful, otherwise you pull the paint off where the sealant is (mine's got a couple of bare spots) but as long as you use some decent grade paint restorer (T-Cut that kind of thing) afterwards your paintwork looks ?ber :D

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Rust removal started today, just waiting to get my hands on some rust treatment now so I can coat the areas that where rusty to make sure it doesnt come back.

Also picked up some seam sealer and etch primer.

Back to the top
Quick update, primed it and seam sealed it.

Back to the top
Got down and dirty with the paint and laquer today chuffed to bits with the finish, the long winding road of putting stuff back onto it now awaits me. (

Back to the top
Bit of a boring update but its still an update.

Back to the top
Another day spent taking old rusty stuff and making it new again.

Tomorrows job.

Back to the top
good work man, bay looks Cleeeeeeaaaaan 8) you goin for a full respray or just the front end, are you gonna leave the inner arches like that or put sum stone chip or similar on it?

Back to the top
Finally, for a minute then I thought there may have only been me that could see my thread.  :lol:

The whole cars being done. Also the inner wings have been painted along with the engine bay. Im getting the front end done first as its probably the most time consuming with taking the engine out etc etc. Just going to get all the running gear stripped and painted now, then move onto the engine giving it a recon and a good paint whilst im at it.

Back to the top
ha ha. takes forever for people to reply on here dont it, lol :lol:

did you do any smoothing to the bay or just rub it down then? will good when its done, wot wheels you thinkin of for when its done, u gonna keep the 5spokes (are they TSW's?)

keep promising myself i'll do mine soon, has it mot next week so could come sooner than i think, lol
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.