Skip navigation

my new baby!! (UPDATED)

bumpers or no bumpers? (when matt black)

yes {-} [5 votes]
no {-} [4 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

my new baby!! (UPDATED)

Hi there - new to this forum, I'm Ross, live in chesterfield near sheffield.  Had a vee dub bay bout 6 months ago but missus made me sell it due to new baby - now ive managed to get hold of my 1st mk1 - convinced her it would be a practical daily driver!!

Anyways, bought it off ebay, got delivered this morning for the princley sum of ?320!  Its a 83 1.8 gti - apparently the colour is rare but dont know much about them so cant back it up!

has no interior  apart from a grotty carpet, dash and headlining.  Engine aint working either - missing meter head, air box, battery and dizzy cap from what i can see - so if anybody can help out with parts give me a shout!!

paint is a bit ratty and grotty so thinking about painting it matt black as budget is tight, and keeping gti steelies (the rear left is an alloy in picture but is spare as other is flat) - what you think?  should i lose the bumpers?  

Will keep this thread updated with new info - should move quite quickly as i have to get rid of the yellow peril (bravo gt) as cant afford to keep 2 cars!

Ross

Back to the top
hello welcome to the club, i'm sure i can help you out with most of the bits you need, whereabouts in chesterfield are you ? i'm in brim. i will pm you my number and get it sorted for you.

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
IMHO Mk1 Golfs look far better with bumpers. Also there's the consideration, that you'll need to do something about the front indicators. And its not just a vaguely conceived opinion, I own a Mk1 and I have ran it with, then without bumpers. Here's a pic:

Back to the top

bumpers

was just an idea -still in 2 minds - when I saw pics on ebay, it didnt have bumpers on - the back end looked really good, but not so much on front, and just a front bumper might look a bit daft!

Back to the top
hi jim - im just off newbold road at the doughnut end - st helens street.  Any help much appreciated!!

Back to the top
yep give me a bell and call round tommorow if you want see what bits i can sort out, not too early as i'm samlping the delights of chessy town tonight, first time out for about 11 months,  big hang-over approaching ….

Back to the top
bumpers on or bumpers off cant really be answered with yes or no. my personal opinion is bumpers on but as i dont know which box to tick im not going to vote.  :D

Back to the top
Loving them without bumpers, just took mine off today for some work to be done and I really do like them like that. However I dont know if I would do it myself as I bet loads of people ask why you have no bumpers on.  :lol:

Back to the top
No bumpers, all bumpers should be allowed to roam free in their own enviroment!! Free The Bumper

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
Before you paint it, find out the paint code (sticker on the back panel inside the boot)… looks a bit Atlas Grey to me! and if so, wasn't many at all in that colour

it'd be a shame to chuck matt black over the top

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

Before you paint it, find out the paint code (sticker on the back panel inside the boot)… looks a bit Atlas Grey to me! and if so, wasn't many at all in that colour

I agree.

Matt black has been done to death!  :banghead:

Duane.

Back to the top
Front just looks too square without the bumper to break it up, but its your car.

Back to the top

Mk1GanGrene said

PhillTMK1GTI said

I agree.

Matt black has been done to death!  :banghead:

Duane.

Unless I'm mistaken it was a blue car that's been painted grey.
I think I saw it on the bay and the boot floor was light blue and possibly the door shuts too.

:dontknow:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
yeah boot floor is bright blue, but its been brushed on - dunno if its had a new floor tho - cant see any welding evidence - the rest of the car - behind all interior panels and engine bay is that grey.  Somebody said atlas grey wasnt rare? or is it?  managed to get it turning over today - starter is near seized or bu**ered tho - cranks a bit then stops then cranks again - turns freely by hand tho.  Got seats and meter head from mk1jim - lifesaver!

not pumping fuel though - hoping its just the stupid key immobilser not working rather than the fuel pump - ive got a tight budget! 8O

Back to the top
can you hear any sign of life from the fuel pump ?

Back to the top
not yet - gonna try get a multimeter on it in a bit if the missus ever gets up watch young 'un!

what makes me think its the immobiliser is its one of those ones that has the little stubby black plastic fob with the 3 contacts that you have to touch onto the dash before you can start it - theres a LED on the dash bit, but no signs of life from it no matter what i do to it including calling it names   :lol:

Back to the top
i would say no bumpers. matt black like the sound of that. my mk1 is also matt black im a big fan of the ratstyle.

Back to the top
righto - decided immobiliser was being a james blunt so ripped it out, reconnecting all the wires back together - its now cranking freely but still no fuel getting to filter - cant even hear pump going - so……..

have I got a fuel pump relay missing out of the fuse box by anychance?  If not il have to get under it and have a look at the pump itself - didnt fancy it much today tho - bein bucketing down on an off all day, and the carpark its in gets really muddy when wet!

Ross

Back to the top
well its been a while, but have moved on a bit - the fuelling problem was caused by a missing fuel relay, burnt out fuel pump and seized accumulator!!

so didn't have much going for it!! got a new pump and relay from gsf, and managed to get accumualtor working again with a well judged whack from my friend mr. hammer!

so next onto trying to get it started, got meterhead from mk1jim - had a mouse living in it! - but got it cleaned out and whacked on.  when starting it though it was fuelling itself to death, on further investigation it appears the mr mouse had eaten the fuel adjustment screw. so have got another meterhead of phatts.

then to try again - this time it would only run with my finger lifting the meterhead plate.  So assuming this was caused by an air leak somewhere causing loss of vacuum went off in search of a split pipe etc.  After much searching, found no3 injector wasn't seated at all!!!!  :banghead:

but in trying to get it back in i have split the fuel line  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

so while waiting on a new line arriving decided to give it a little clean up.  Have decided to hold off for a few months on the paint job - have found out its anthrazit. Met. - a one year only colour - so am going to keep the colour, but still lose the bumpers.

Also got a nice set of proxies put on so its beginning to come together.  Once running all it should need to get through the MOT is a windscreen and wiper motor.

The shell is absolutley solid as a rock with no previous welding - so im really pleased about not having to get mr welder out!!

So 10 years sat on a farms worth of rubbish removed from the engine bay, along with trick front indicators (even if i do say so myself) have left me with this little baby:

Still cant come up with a name for it though - reg is CJT 218Y - was thinking about madcow as it nearly says CJD, but not sure if i want a car named after an agricultural disease!!  :dontknow:  - any suggestions?

Back to the top
the acumilaotr has a rubber diaphram in it so dont be supprised if the car runs like a sack of maybe worth investing in a new one :wink:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.