Skip navigation

Driver, to 16 valver, 2017 rebuild!

Back to the top
Haven't updated for a while, work's been slow, but now ive finished college, im cracking on again.

Prepping and spraying the bay at the mo, some pics of the progress so far..

Bay after taking 1.3 lump out, ready for cleaning and prepping

Fillered the clutch repair

Took all sound proofing out of rain tray area, found some rust here, and a small hole going into the inside of the car :roll: , sorted that, por 15'd it, removed wiper bracket as im using mk2 motor, which doesn't bolt to this.

The front arch was a bit wonky, so sorted that with a skim of filler

Sorted battery tray, back to metal then por 15 it, worked well, por 15 gives a nice smooth finish considering its brushed on. Excuse the dust all over it.

Found a far bit of rot in this area on both sides, where water was getting trapped under the old seam sealer, , for the time being i just cleaned it up best as and por 15, and new seam sealer.

More seam sealing, and por 15

Then rubbed back old paint to key it and sorted any rough areas, and degreased it. Then masked it all up, this took forever lol!

Tomorrow i will finish priming, get some stone chip on, and get ready to mars red it. I just cant wait to drive it!

Cheers for looking.

Pete

Back to the top
looking good so far  :)

Back to the top
good work matey :)
i like to see projects like this.

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
Very good to see you back on with it dude!!

looking forward to the end result myself.

keep up the good work fella!

Back to the top
Been busy this weekend, sum more progress, on to the pics :D

Bay in primer

Stonechip on lower sections

Fresh LA3A mars red B)

Set up gun and compressor

Mid way through spraying

Finished for the day, got a few runs to sort out and give it another coat or 2, but not bad for a first attempt i think.

Gonna get some top coat to lacquer it, and then on to rebuilding the engine ;)  

Cheers for looking

Pete

Back to the top
looks gud wise mine is that far

Back to the top
8) good work mate looks really good

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
Cheers people for the comments, will be sorting a few more coats of paint this week, then on to the engine rebuild, will keep you up to date with pics.

I need a gti N/S drive shaft, and the lower half of a gti airbox, if anyone can help?

Cheers

Pete

Back to the top
Impressive!!!

I think i have a set of 16v drive shafts. I'll have a look for you.

Back to the top
A bit more progress so far, though it seems to be taking forever :rolleyes:

Finished painting arch, and lacquered it and the bay.

Then got the paint stripper out to clean up the previous owners painting skills :blink:

And cleaned the years of gunk off the gearbox.

Next up is a bit more cleaning, paint stripping, and then onto spraying g'box, inlet, rocker, block etc.

Also still need a gti n/s drive shaft.

And im having problems identifying the gearbox code 6S251185, (020 box) think the bell housing may be different to the gearbox itself, as it was replaced/overhauled a some stage, the input shaft is 24mm, so should be a 16v box?

Cheers for looking

Pete

Back to the top
feeling the work that has went into this,i smoothed the bay on my mk1 jetta myself and im currently just about completed a valver swap in my golf driver so can well appreciate the hours your putting in. top job bud  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Back to the top
Coming on well Pete ,you have done a good job of cleaning up the cam cover and inlet manifold .

I have sent you a PM

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

mk`1 1.8 16v

good work on the car m8y any chance you could tell me the wiring your using as  i am doing the same 1.1C to 1.8 16v and am stuck at this point cheers keep up the good work :D

Back to the top

Back to the top

Re: mk`1 1.8 16v

Cheers for the comments people, will have a update soon.

tamthebam16v said

good work on the car m8y any chance you could tell me the wiring your using as  i am doing the same 1.1C to 1.8 16v and am stuck at this point cheers keep up the good work :D

I broke a 16v mk2 for the engine, box, loom etc (it was pre 90' spec so plugs into the later mk1 fusebox), will be using the engine loom, and the isv loom. I will know more when i get onto the wiring itself. Sorry cant be of more help.

Pete

Back to the top
sorry pete for the hijack,tam the bam valverman,try vwvortex.com->volkswagen section-> mk1 section -> mk1 FAQ section
theyve got a fair squad of q's about the mk1 16v conv. and lots of pic enhanced threads with writ up plug defined diagrams couple of good threads with good pictures with nominated plugs/connectors in case your mixing looms  8)

pete i take it your extending the m2 loom over to reach the mk1 fuse box?

Back to the top
nice work

love reading topics like this

mk1 golf gti in porsche ocen blue and polished porsche 7slots

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

pete i take it your extending the m2 loom over to reach the mk1 fuse box?

Will i have to? I get the feeling i may have to shorten it a bit as the mk2 fuse box is further from most connectors, though i maybe wrong, will have a closer look when am at that stage.

Cheers justin gti, will have some more progress pic soon.

Pete

Back to the top
the mk2 fuse box sits under/around the steering column so you either tuck it away or move it over to the pass. side alla mk1. I utilised a full jetta mk2 loom in my mk1 jetta(had no wires at all http://www.wheel-whores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4194)and tbh the drivers side region in a mk1 dashboard is a bit busy so we were looking at me sitting with a roll of wire and a solder gun. I hate wiring and i feel that on a scale of one to ten its a devils HND in scrotum topography.

Back to the top
I will look into it, and yea wiring can be a pain!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.