Skip navigation

Vauxhall calipers help

Back to the top

Vauxhall calipers help

Hi all,

i have managed to get hold of a set of vauxhall callipers which i was told were from a 16v cav for 256mm discs.

I think they look right but could do with some one confirming what is written on them and the carriers or a few good hi res shots.

Also where have people been getting the flexi pipes from? And has anyone tried the lines from a Lupo as they are banjo on one end.

Thanks for the help guys  :)

Back to the top
i got vectra ones and the fitted perfectly just used standard vectra flexi's have fitted perfectly. they may all look diff but its the fixings thats important

hello!

Back to the top
Cool cool,

so which year/model vectra did you go for?

8)

Back to the top
they were off a 96 1.8 got em off ebay calipers pads discs and flexi's (one no good though) for ?30 posted

hello!

Back to the top
The Lupo ones have Banjos?  News to me…thats cool, i'll check ETKA when i'm more sober….

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
yes well, im fairly sure anyway. Ill have a look at the loop tomorrow. I recently changed the pads and remember thinking those look like they may fit the vaux calipers.

Back to the top
ok, Just had a look on ETOS, looks promising but the following needs to be checked as ETOS doesn't give fitment details.  I.e. what diameter banjo bolt the lines take, or any details of the fitment at the Solid line end.

All are Non-ABS spec cars.

Polo 1995-Early 2002

Brake Hose 377mm
Part Number: 6N0 611 701 B

Late 2002 - Onwards

Brake Hose 510mm
Part Number: 6Q0 611 701 C

It appears some Lupos 1999-2003 and 2003-2006 also use the 377mm Lines.  However, there is a few more variants listed of the lines listed, with M12 noted by some, so I think we need to check the fitment of all these before anyone decides to go get some, lol.

Dave

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
why use vauxhall items and not vw is it somthing to do with the caliper carriers being attached to the hubs?
thanks.

Back to the top
Exactly that mate.

The Mk2 16V Brake Carriers do not fit the mk1 Hub, Bolts are spaced differently.

You can do a 256mm conversion using old 80/90 Audi Carriers (see the FAQ section), nothing wrong with that at all!, they're just less available and tend to be seriously overpriced when sold on ebay/VW forums (especially given they're nothing special, just old brakes!)  

Vaux ones are dirt cheap, ?30-40 for a full set of front calipers/carriers, so it's a cheaper equivalent.  You can get them off more recent Vauxhalls (Vectras etc).  Oh and theres no shortage of appropriate Vauxhalls in Scrap yards  :lol:

Back to the top
did you guys use teh appropriate shoulder bolts or just made a sleeve for your exisitng bolts?

if any got any shoulder bolts do they have 4 spare that i could purchase off them, been looking around for some and failed like a cat wth a slice of processed cheese stuck on its face

Back to the top
can you use the mk2 calipers with the vaux carriers? as ive got loads of them spare. thanks.

Back to the top
use b&q pipe to make sleeves mate, 12mm outer 10mm inner plus longer bolts and you are sorted.

however if there were some more shoulder bolts on the go i would also have some.

Back to the top

sciroccotune said

use b&q pipe to make sleeves mate, 12mm outer 10mm inner plus longer bolts and you are sorted.

however if there were some more shoulder bolts on the go i would also have some.

this is exactly what i have done b&q pipe 10mm bolts (longer ones) a washer and a spring washer and job a a good un

also i hade to put a washer inbetween the carrier and the hub as the disc touched the carrier but now has the clearence

hello!

Back to the top
Sounds like theres a few people interested so i'll see if I can get another box  :D , I didn't bother before as there was a lull, and I just ended up with a box of useles bolts.

I bolted them up using the B&Q Spacers initially, but then redbaron on the caddy forum found the bolts, so went for that instead.

There really is no difference tbh, either will do fine.
I doubt the VW Calipers will go on the vauxhall Carriers, different designs and manufacturers (Girling vs ATE?).

Back to the top
aye get a box in fella, you'll get rid of em in no time as the audi carriers are becoming scarcer as time goes on.

drop us a shout when you do :)

Back to the top
checked lupo this eve, deffo has nice long banjo pipes.

Normal fitment one end and banjo at the other, can really go takling them off to mesure/try in the vuax callipers sadly.

anyway here is a quick pic.

I'll deffo have a set of bolts  8)

Back to the top
Hi guys,

got the calipers on, so deffo got the right ones :) Only thing is the pads i got with them (un used) seem really samll, and leave a 1-2 cm gap at the centre of the discs. I has had a quick look at pad and there seems to be loads to choose from. Which pads and from which car have the largest surface area?

cheers

Back to the top
i was gonna ask this as im planning the same conversion to my mk3 Polo but after looking into it (maybe a bit too much) ive found the Astra GTE's, Calibra 16v's, Cav 16v's and Astra mk3 16v's all run 256x24mm discs but the VW 16v discs are only 256x20mm!

Is this difference in widths needed to fit them or would Mk3 Astra 1.8 8v calipers that are designed to run 256x20mm discs be better? (although these are quite rare)

Just a thought :)

Back to the top
I know where i can get a set of astra 2.0 16v calipers which run 256mm discs but will these fit the mk1??

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
Thickness of the disc isn't going to affect performance and difference in thickness between 16v VW  /vaux set ups is just taken up by the Pistons and calipers position on it's sliders.  So not a problem.

Having said that, no reason why the mk3 8V setup wouldn't fit but I don't see it as an issue.  There's no harm in checking spec of the calipers (piston size etc), but being as the 16V had the thicker disc setup, and they're just as available…

Staffords, I guess those are the mk2 Astra GTE ones?  Yes, they are the ones you want.  You don't need the discs themselves, just the rest of it.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.